THR 10 months and still in pain<

I'm sorry you're still struggling. I hope you find some relief through the pool therapy
you'll start this week.

I've read of many who've experienced Trochanteric Bursitis since I've been involved here.
Can't think of names off the top if my head. If you go to the SEARCH bar at the top of the page and type in Trochanteric Bursitis, the threads will pop up where it's been mentioned and you can read through some of them if you're interested.

You may have established some bad habits in protecting your hip as it was deteriorating. While we want instant results, sometimes it takes time. We normally hear it takes up to a year for a full recovery. I've also heard it can take up two, or even two and a half years, for some. So you're still in recovery, not yet fully recovered.
May it only get better for you! I hope you have a good week.
@MyJampa

Thanks for the encouraging words, @Mojo333 @Layla

I think I have a few things going on, the bursitis and piriformis syndrome and who knows what else...

I have recently made the decision to retire...:happydance:
And spend my first part of my next chapter getting healthy.:loveshwr:

Hope you are both doing well.

You're welcome. Please know we're here for you.
I hope you're able to work through these issues and find some relief soon.
Congrats on your decision to retire. :yay: You'll have extra time to devote to your health goals.

Also, I'm doing well, thank you.

I hope you have a great rest of the Summer! Keep us posted on your progress.
@MyJampa

I really am glad you are determined to get healthy...these issues can be dealt with.
Please let us know how you are doing and post when you're up for it.
I really hope all gets better very soon.
All the best!:loveshwr:

Hey @Mojo333 @Layla, Last week after I posted I did the one step forward and about 5 steps back. Not sure what happened but the pain deep in the hip and my glut has taken my walking down to almost nothing. (about 500 - 1000 steps a day) I was unable to stay at work for the full 8 hours on Thursday. I have one week left of work before I retire and plan to work only 4-6 hours each day! Than it is all about taking care of me and my hip. I am now icing 3-4 times per day for 1 hour. It is just so hard to not be doing anything. :unsure:

I am totally frustrated about not being able to walk, and too nervous about taking Nsaids or Cortisone shots to reduce the inflammation after having taken that darn Levaquin for my UTI, with the fear that it can give me a major setback.:scaredycat:Any other suggestions for a natural anti-inflammatory besides the icing.

The Pool was heavenly! I am hoping that I can go a few times a week. It is set up for rehab and is 92 degrees and fully accessible, with adaptive equipment, and the water is completely recycled every two hours. I hardly hurt at all while I was in the pool. :) :-) (: My therapist said that it takes time but she has had a number of people with post surgical hip pain who have worked their way through. Both my PT and natural path say that my glut is extremely week and not working well. The pool PT said that the pool is a great place to get the inner muscles strengthened.
On a good note, a friend won tickets to Hamilton & took me on Saturday! :flwrysmile:She was such a sweetheart and dropped/picked me at the door, and walked me to the handicap bathroom during intermission. It was an amazing show and such a highlight for me during a time that I have been giving so much up...

I bought a Hamiltonkey chain to remind me to think positive as I journey through.

I may be checking in more after next week (after my retirement) when I will have more time to be online. I totally appreciate all the advice and the calming influence that you all give.

@Layla I did do some searches and often when I found things that were applicable they would end without telling the rest of the story>>> So you never know if their issues were resolved...

Thanks again.

:wave: @MyJampa
So glad you popped in but sure am disappointed that you are still having so much trouble.
I'm not very versed on anti-inflammatory supplements..I have tried to follow a diet with good foods with anti-inflammatory benefits, mostly when I was trying to deal with OA pain do don't need to tell you that didn't work too well. Fish oils and the like.
So glad you are retiring so you can focus on recovery only.
The pool therapy sounds perfect to me. Maybe your glute is a slow learner and it can take longer for some issues to resolve. I'm going to say yes! MyJampa is going to get better and better! Positive thinking you know .
:ok:
And Hamilton!!! I am so envious.
I would love to see it!:loveshwr:

Not much help I'm afraid except to say I really hope things begin to turnaround in a big way soon.:friends:

Hi,
I'm sorry you're still struggling and suffering pain. I'm sure you're frustrated.
I understand your hesitancy with NSAIDs and Cortisone. I'd feel the same and I'd try all else first.
I'd look up an anti inflammatory diet to begin with. I know one of the biggest offenders is sugar.

After you retire next week and are able to fit in more pool time, hopefully it will help.
You are only 6 months post op. It can take up to a full year to recover. I've even heard up to two years more than once. With the extra time you'll have on your hands, devote the next six months to your recovery.

When you looked up the threads, did you tap on the thread title to open them?

Hamilton....I'll bet that was entertaining! It sure gets great reviews. It's wonderful you had the opportunity
and enjoyed it.

I think with lots of patience and some work you'll get this right. Keep moving forward. We're here for you.
Hugs
@MyJampa

Hi @Layla, I have been on an anti inflammatory diet for about 3 months. Gave up sugar, processed food, gluten, eat very little dairy and drink alcohol on occasion. I have been doing a lot of the green leafy, veggies and fruits. Fix homemade chicken soup from an organic chicken every other week, and drink hardly any alcohol. :sad: I did have a beer before and after the musical on Sat. :shrug: My natural path suggested some high end hemp oil.

Regarding the threads, I was able to open them, but many of them ended without stating if they were able to resolve their issues or not. So I was left wondering how they are today!

I am going to the open pool tomorrow night. :) :-) (: At least it is something to hold onto, which gives me a bit of hope.

One week left of work. Trying to get excited!!!

Well that's a bummer about the threads. Rather disappointing.
Seems people move away once they're feeling better and we don't get to read about the happy ending :gaah:
I hope your last week at work is a good one.
Enjoy the pool tonight!
@MyJampa

Hi, I have been doing pool therapy for almost a month now. I go twice a week and do some walking, side steps, and light swimming movement. This feels very good after the pool but I was hoping that it was going to help a bit more than it has. I am beginning to have pain while seated, if I lean forward a bit. I am trying to set myself a schedule to sit for no more than a hour at a time and then get up and stretch and walk a bit. My limited walking is what bothers me the most at this point. Back in May, June and July I was walking about 8,000, - 10,000 steps a day and am now lucky if I am walking 1,000 - 2,000 (roughly what I was doing about 4 weeks out) ... Humph. :umm:
I am going to PT tomorrow for a light mio facio release and hope to ask her to help me assess what might be going on with my hip and if she has any ideas of what type of test they could do to help determine what is causing this continued, and increasing pain. My PT and Natural path seem to be the only folks that are willing to actually look at the hip and try to assess what might be causing the pain. So far both the above mentioned say that my left glut muscles are very weak.

I was thinking about calling my OS tomorrow, but an unsure about what to ask them to do. Last time he offered cortisone shot and suggested Nsaids but do to my issue with the flouroquinalone antibiotic I am very very hesitant to do either of them. I last saw him at 5 months and the plan was to start the pool therapy and stop whatever repetitive movement might be causing the bursitis, in hopes of getting it to settle down. My pain no longer seems to be at the point of my greater trochanter but is now a bit more posterior, with a thick feeling around the joint and up through my tensor fascia latae.

Do you know if there is some type of imaging that may help determine soft tissue problems damage, like tendon tears, hemotoma, etc?:what:

@Layla @Mojo333
Thanks -
Hope you are doing well,

I'm sorry you're still struggling with pain, have unanswered questions and can't seem to obtain relief.
My first instinct is to tell you to schedule a visit with your OS, but if you feel like you're spinning your wheels with him I understand your hesitation. I'll tag @Josephine for you to see if she can advise what type of questions you ask your OS. As you know she's in the U.K. and there's a 5-6 hr time difference. Check back periodically tomorrow and see if she's had a chance to respond to the tag.
Wishing you comfort as you seek answers and resolution. I hope you find relief soon.
@MyJampa

Do you know if there is some type of imaging that may help determine soft tissue problems damage, like tendon tears, hemotoma, etc?
Hi @MyJampa - the usual preface that no, despite rumors to the contrary, I am NOT and have never been a doctor but I do know people who have received ultrasound images for diagnoses of tendon and ligament issues, if you want to ask your Dr about that. I am so sorry to hear of your setbacks and wish you much success going forward. Sounds like you are finding the right people to address the core issues and treat you with care. That's what it's all about. Good luck to you.

:hi:MyJampa
I hope you get some answers...I hate to see you feeling stuck.
I can imagine you are frustrated.
Please let us know if you are able to get some imaging done...I'm not much help I'm afraid but do wish you could get this resolved!
Hang in there, friend:friends:

I go twice a week and do some walking, side steps, and light swimming movement. This feels very good after the pool but I was hoping that it was going to help a bit more than it has. I am beginning to have pain while seated, if I lean forward a bit. Back in May, June and July I was walking about 8,000, - 10,000 steps a day and am now lucky if I am walking 1,000 - 2,000 (roughly what I was doing about 4 weeks out) ... Humph
Jampa, one doesn't need a medical qualification to see what's going on. You're doing too much! Did you forget the BoneSmart recommendation that "HIPS DON'T NEED ANY EXERCISES"? So if you would follow that advice, you wouldn't need to be worrying about special scans to reveal tissue damage! STOP this activity and just stick with walking.
I am going to PT tomorrow for a light mio facio release
Release of what? And if you say 'scar tissue' I shall scream so loudly you'll hear me all the way over there in Minnesota! Hips don't get scar tissue (adhesions). It's impossible.

Hi @Josephine,
I may have been confusing about my timeline of events. I was actually very inactive from July 20 to the first week in September, this was when my OS said I had trochanteric bursitis. I returned to using my cane in July and continue to use it when going away from home, and am limited to walking only for necessity. The pain around my greater trochanter now seems better.

It was around the beginning of Sept that I started having more pain while sitting. The pain that use to be at the greater trochanter has moved more posterior. It sometimes feels like I am sitting on a golf ball, and is difficult to sit at a 90 angle. I did a quick retirement from work at a desk job that I had done for 33 years. I am thankful that I was able to retire, thinking that the sitting for 8 hours was too hard on my hip.

I have followed the bonesmart advice and have used walking as my therapy until I developed the bursitis. Since July I have not done much of anything...:sad: I am just getting impatient with how long I am taking to heal. I am 7 months out now and I know that we all heal at our own pace. I truly feel that the fluoroquinolone antibiotic that I reacted to (at 6 weeks) has affected my tendons, and caused much of my pain. There is a web site called floxiehope.com that is quite informative as to what the fluoroquinolone can do. It is quite an eye opener. I feel fortunate that I have realatively mild symptoms compared to many.

I started going to the pool because I could at least walk without pain in the pool and it feels like it loosens my muscles and joints up. The pool feels good, and I do not feel any worse after going to the pool.

The Mio fascia release was for my IT band. I had this done for the bursitis about a month ago. When I went to PT she said that my IT band seemed pretty good this time, and did not do the release. She then helped me to identify where my pain currently is. She thinks it is a nerve bundle near the greater trochanter, along with a few trigger points on my gluts.

I am always thankful for your knowledge and all the help you have been. I am just trying to figure out how to get through this. I feel like my whole life is on hold and that I am in as much pain now as I was prior to my surgery.:what:

Thanks again.

I so feel for you @MyJampa! Going through same with my dearest friend right now for months, who is in flox-detox with a doctor who specializes in it --she has had to totally change her diet (sounds same as yours) and other factors in her life, but the good news is, after several months, her tendons are improving and walking is coming back, slowly. Pain is subsiding every week. She had to give up her previous active lifestyle and it was so painful to see her "grounded"... but now we are hopeful she's on the road to recovery and are also hoping that by the time my two hips heal, she too will be back to the mountain hiking we used to enjoy together. Wishing you the healing you seek for your pain.

It's sad that you continue to struggle.
Thankfully the pool brings you some relief.
I'm sorry you feel like your life is on hold, it has to be frustrating.
Try not to lose hope, I understand you're 7 months post op but it may take awhile to move beyond
all of this. Prayers for your strength, peace of mind and comfort as you move forward.
@MyJampa

The pain that use to be at the greater trochanter has moved more posterior.
You mean about here?
P site.GIF

That's Piriformis syndrome and is also very common after hip replacement. It can also occur with Trochanteric bursitis. I had both these myself after my first knee replacement. I know how excruciatingly pain bot can be.

Hi @Josephine

My pain is not just in the one place, it seems to move around a bit. I do not have pain upon standing, only after walking or standing for a bit of time. When the hip gets painful I hold onto it as I walk and can feel a light snapping around the joint to the lateral side and front of hip, like it is inflamed around the joint. The soft tissue feels loose and a bit mushy. I feel like the new shiny joint seems solid but is seems that the hip stabilizers are affected at different points in time. As if they are taking turns stabilizing the joint. I am starting to get pain in my SI joint and as I am sitting.

As you know I am concerned about the possibility of having tears in my tendons and soft tissue from the Levaquin, (many people who have been floxed have soft tissue issues) and worry about doing more damage. I do not know what a difference having tears would make to my recovery.

It sounds like I just have to keep stretching and icing. Since my walking as been so limited since July, I felt that the pool might be a place to get a little movement and more blood flow to the joint.

Thanks again for your input.

Hi @1stSurgery,
Thanks for the information about your friends who has been floxed. It is tough to go through... I am glad that she has found a Dr to work with. I have been having a hard time finding someone that understands and could help me out, My naturalpath is good for overall health but doesn't understand what the floxing did. It is extra hard that it happened shortly after my hip replacement and in my mind seems to have weakened the the soft tissue around my new hip. I do have a number of other soft tissue pains since I took the antibiotic but the hip since it was already impacted by surgery seems to be the worse.

I have not had time to look at your post yet but plan to. I hope you and your friend continue to heal and can get out hiking again... I sure can relate to your term "grounded":groan:

@Layla Thank you as always for your support:) :-) (:

My pain is not just in the one place, it seems to move around abit.
So does piriformis! Just because it's shown all in one place in the picture doesn't mean it never moves around!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
shibbard
Recent bookmarks