Bilateral TKR Debs 2 new knees<

Deb, @Kayaknlady has been getting on her knees and doing yoga. I know you're not going to grab knee pads if someone is dying... but I do know she ordered some on Amazon. I've tagged her for you. She had bilateral as well. I've only gotten up the guts to use a pillow, and I still am not sure I'm putting my full weight on it. :)

I've been kneeling for a few months. It's not one of my favorite activities because, yes, it feels weird. It's better on, say, a bed, which is where I do most of my kneeling. In fact, kneeling feels normal on a bed. And I use a foam pad when on the ground and that's not too bad. (Just feels weird.) I don't like kneeling on carpets (thinner padding), but can, and do with the grandchildren. Harder floors are just... no, thank you. But I can, if there's a really good reason.

You could try knee pads. I used these once on the floor and they felt a little weird (but they felt weird even on my original knees). I would do them again. They are something you could easily pack and have with you. Just a thought.

I think kneeling is something you can get used to doing. My OS told me my implants were good to go for kneeling but I probably wouldn't like it. He was right. But I like what kneeling can do for me, so... I've gotten quite okay with kneeling on the bed and things like sofas. And I get down to kneeling on a carpeted floor without more than a "I hope this doesn't last too long" thought. I kneel in church (not in joy but because). It's something I know I can do.

If you're motivated to kneel, and you know you should be able to do it with your implant, you will find ways to do it. If you do it a lot, I bet you even get used to it. :yes:

Last edited:
Ok just a quick question for all the Northern Hemisphere tkr people who are 12 months + out. As you are coming out of your winter and we down south are just going in - did you find your knees ached or in any way bothered you in the cold weather.
Will I have to knit myself some knee warmers?

Oh yes I did!!! But not everyone does.

I can’t wait for Spring to arrive here!

Spring time is very slow to arrive! Snow on the ground as i speak! As for kneeling, I been “ practicing “ kneeling, I can kneeling comfortable on the bed, and a foam pad. Been doing yoga by moving very slowly with each pose. @Kayaknlady do those pads work?

My knees didn't like the cold and wet weather; however, they seem okay with just cold. And... I found when it was really really cold... they just felt like they had an ice pack on them so they didn't feel anything lol
:ice:

My knees didn't like the cold and wet weather; however, they seem okay with just cold. And... I found when it was really really cold... they just felt like they had an ice pack on them so they didn't feel anything lol
:ice:

I’m the same. So many aches when weather system moving in but fine out in just cold

I had an awful time when I had to work for about 45 minutes in -13*. I'm in Virginia and that's extremely unusual for us. It took about 2-3 hours inside before my new knee quite paining. Normal cold weather doesn't bother it.

Cold and wet weather can be a problem for me. Just plain cold isn’t too bad, in fact I don’t even mind walking in cold temps (between 32-10 degrees), but getting into a cold water pool is pure torture and didn’t used to bther me. Perhaps my age is showing...

@Mutti3 , yes my Amazon knee pads work well for yoga or kneeling around the house. I find the more I kneel, the less pain and the more normal they feel. Only about $10 for 2 on Amazon. The cold makes my knees a bit stiff, but the more I move, the better I feel

So yesterday my worst nightmare happened! I have always been worried about what would happen if I tripped and fell (I have always been a bit clumsy lol) and yesterday it happened - I missed a step going up and came down on my 2 knees. I think the left took the brunt as the right is not at all sore. The left is extremely sore to touch in areas on the front of the knee but functionally it is working correctly and not painful to walk except for some tightness due to swelling and bruising. Luckily is was also relatively easy (but not elegant) to get back on my feet because of the steps.

Oh no! We all fear falls, to be sure. You most likely bruised the front of your knees, caught between the surface and your metal implant, which is less forgiving than bone (which is hard enough). If everything is moving as it should, though, no real damage was done. Except the left front of your knee being sore.

Are you icing it? Might help keep down any swelling. On the plus side, you have now experienced your worst nightmare... and survived it! No more fears.

It’s most likely the soft tissue is bruised and causing the sworeness. I think Tylenol and ice will probably help. I fell in the basement 5-6 months after surgery. Getting up wasn’t too bad because I scootched over to the steps to get up. I’ve fallen a few times since but it’s still my worst nightmare.

Add me to the list of those that have fallen on their new knees. My knee survived, but I don't want to do it again!

Hi there. Just about my 2 year kneeversary. Going pretty well - not perfect but then who is.
I am changing jobs and need to get a first aid certificate. This involves cpr which involves kneeling. Not sure how I am going to do this as my knees are still quite sensitive (had some nerve issuespost op)
Any suggestions appreciated.

A few years ago I was a CPR instructor. We were always supposed to accommodate the need of the student during cpr practice. Either using a table top for adults manakin or the floor, as long as the compressions and breath were correct . Talk to the instructor.

Last edited:
If you have to be on the floor take a pillow with you. It’ll be softer on those knees than a hard floor.

So 2 years to the day my left knee develops a burning sensation and is a little ‘clunky’ like it usually is first thing in the morning. It is still there today. Worse when sitting with leg semi extended but not so bad when walking or knee at 90/100 degrees. Didn’t injure it or twist it (unless in my sleep)
No obvious swelling, no redness or particular tenderness. I am thinking perhaps a little swelling inside? Taking ibuprofen but really need it to settle because this is a very important week.
Any thoughts.

I am going to tag @Josephine, our forum director and nurse to address your questions.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562