Appropiate age for shoulder replacement

usnavymaa

Country
United States United States
I am a pretty young guy. Had both shoulders repaired in 2014. My left one was particularly bad. Significant degeneration of the anterior labrum with very flimsy tissue remaining with loss of articular cartilage near the ant labrum and djd of central glenoid.

Post op doctor suggested it's highly likely that if I were to do anything that would exacerbate the condition in which my shoulder was in/progressing towards... a replacement would be coming BEFORE the age of 40.

Here I am 4½ years later. Unable to sleep either shoulder (my right one has a delaminating rotator cuff) and my left one... well the arthritis is worse by the day.

My surgeon recently retired. I scheduled a follow up with his replacement recently to discuss my issues.

Is there anything specific I should ask?
What sort of symptoms would I need to display to warrant a replacement?

usnavymaa,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!

It is not your age, but your quality of life that determines if you need a shoulder surgery.
Here is the DASH score chart for shoulders, fill it in, print it, and take it to your appointment so you and your surgeon can see just how you life is impacted by your shoulders.
A higher score indicates more disability.
http://orthopaedicscore.com/scorepa...&twentynine=2&thirty=1&reset=Reset&total=11.7

I agree with Chris - it's all about how your shoulders are limiting your activities. Think about what you are no longer doing or what you are doing differently due to your shoulder. When your world narrows due to pain - it's time.

Thanks for the replies. I will let you all know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Please keep us posted.

I doubt there is any 'appropriate' age. It's all down to the clinical findings, your level of pain and ability to perform ADLs (activities of daily living). If, for instance, it stops you sleeping, dressing, doing ordinary everyday things like driving or doing yard work, then it's time.

I have an appointment with my new shoulder doc tomorrow. The one that's operated on me twice before has retired.

Good luck tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes!

Will do!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88