THR Bumblebee in Recovery

That's great news, BBee! It's inspiring for us hip tyros to hear how well you're doing - thanks for posting!!

Hi @Bumblebee ....nice to see you posting....the Tai Chi sounds interesting, it was something I was wondering about. I tried it briefly about 15 years ago, gave it up cos it was too 'slow'.....now I'm wondering if I could keep up! :heehee: Are you feeling the benefits yet? My balance is slightly off since the op and Tai Chi is supposed to be good for that

Tai Chi....interesting! I'ts great you're enjoying it and it's helping with your flexibility.

Yahoo for getting your socks on all by yourself like a big girl :heehee:
That's what some of these milestones have felt like. Like a kid relearning
how to dress, how to use the toilet, how to walk, how to drive, lol.

I'm ever grateful for this second chance even though it has its limitations.
My OS reminded me it will "never be as good as" your natural hip before OA.
I'll take it, I'll take it!! Thanks for the update, it's always nice to hear from you.
Hope your week is great!
@Bumblebee

Had my 6 month check up. Still dealing with some aches and pains, not terrible, but annoying none the less. Same inner upper thigh pain and below the butt cheek. I'd say about a 3 on the scale. Comes and goes, not consistent with anything in particular. Haven't done any PT. Was told everything looks fine.

@Josephine ... wondering if you could weigh in on my front pelvis x-ray here at my 6 month mark.

upload_2018-8-17_12-7-53.png

@Bumblebee Just to let you know that Josephine is away from the forum for a few days. She will respond as soon as possible when she is back as you have already tagged her.

:wave:@Bumblebee
Good to hear from you.
Sorry you are still having a few niggles...I can understand your anxiety...
Was glad to get my six month xrays...I am screwy on one side also:heehee:
You know Jo is the X-ray pro...she will be by.
Glad to see your cute little avatar!
:flwrysmile:

Hi Mojo! I buzz into Bonesmart to catch up on everyone's progress every now and then, offer encouragement, thoughts, etc. Hope you are doing well too! I can't complain too much, just thought I would be completely pain free at this stage. I'm hoping its just muscular issues but never hurts to get more opinions. I have been behaving myself, doing nothing extraordinarily physical. If it doesn't get worse I guess I can live with it. @SaraK seems to have the same issues as well as a few others.

Yes but honestly I'm trying to remember what issues I had at 6 months.
I know all was not as good as it is now...especially since I was working And over-walking full time.
Glad to talk to you friend.

Last edited:
Great news @Bumblebee

@Josephine
If I may ask....as a teaching tool to many of us - Why do some stems look off center in x-rays?
Mine looks a tad that way also.
It also looks more snug in some areas, than other areas, from bottom to top.
I always get puzzled when I see this.
Example of what I am asking. The bottom right, inside, looks like there is space.
The bottom left side looks snug. I'm asking because you're the expert and I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with these x-rays.

Bumblebee I hope you don't mind me using yours as an example for us all to be educated.

By all means, Layla! I was already to hear Josephine say that all that shadow area was where there was no bone growth. Those 4 words were a great relief to hear.:) So I guess my aches and pains, or as Mojo calls them...niggles....are probably muscular in nature. I can live with that. Icing still works on the buttocks.:heehee:

It all depends upon how much is secured to the bone and where. In this xray, you can see where that is

upload_2018-8-17_12-7-53.png

@Bumblebee yes, I think we're in for the long haul :sad: my first few weeks were so good I thought it would just go on getting better and better, so the pain in the bum/back of thigh after sitting too long came as a nasty surprise! Guess our bodies are telling us not to take them for granted, but tbh I do so little activity, not only am I mortified, but if I 'rest' much more I'll be permanently bed-bound! I'll have to haul the icepacks out of the freezer again....not a happy thought on cold days, but I can look on it as practice for September :thumb: Hope it works for you too, and anyone else who is having these niggles and backtracks

Hi @Bumblebee! Hoping your aches and pains will subside soon.

I'm posting this message from my page on a few threads to invite everyone to go tell their Tall Tales of hip replacement recovery.

------
Ok I started a thread at the social room, which I guess is kind of like the "parlor" of the BoneSmart Villa.

It's a place for all hippies to recount the Tall Tales from the THR Fairytale Book that you've heard - about everyone's great aunt or stepmother's friend of a friend - who had a miraculously speedy recovery from THR and was scuba diving or competing in mixed martial arts on day 12. We've ALL heard them.

Drop your stories here for posterity!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tall-tales-from-the-thr-fairy-tale-book.49667/

I still get aches and pains. But tend to think they as they’re negligible compared to pre op that I can live with them. I’ve not had any follow up appointment. It’ll be interesting to see if I get one at 12 months. But as hubby is about to see the same OS for a shoulder op I may tag along and ask :heehee:

@Bumblebee Just to say I have been reading you thread and sorry to hear you are still having aches and pains. I am at the three month stage and get frequent 'niggles' - usually pain level 1-2 but sometimes 3-4 - occurring at various times and affecting various sites.
Like @anny I wonder if I am doing too little - sitting on hard or very soft chairs does seem to aggravate things.
@Jackie222 I'm interested to see you are in UK and have had little follow-up. My first appointment since leaving hospital on post-op day 4 is next week (wk 14) but it's with an orthopaedic nurse, not the surgeon and I don't know if I will see my x-rays.

I was already to hear Josephine say that all that shadow area was where there was no bone growth.
To clarify on you xray, @Bumblebee, you would be correct in what you said BUT in my opinion, there are two quite significant areas of bone/stem attachment which look quite sufficient to me. Here are the two areas. And remember, this excludes the areas out of sight as the front the the back of the prosthesis.

Here is are close ups of what I am referring to - I hope you can see the cloudy bone going right up to the stem

1.jpg
2.jpg

@Josephine . ..so this is the NEW growth you are pointing out? Can I expect more growth in other areas as well as time goes by or does this process stop at some point? Just curious. By the way, I love your kitty avatar!!!!

I doubt its new - it's probably been there a while. But now you are around 6 months out, I doubt any more bone growth will occur. Though I could be wrong - I am once in a while!!

Glad you like my kitten but he's a Google kitten not mine! I just love those great big baby blues!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom