TKR Desperate for recovery advice<

I have been told it is more piriformis but no one knows what to do with it
Well look at this and see Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt!
I laid off PT for about one week to test your theory and was feeling good. Then went back and felt horrible. But my concern is that the PT says that my quad is not firing and I have to get it stronger.
So you went back to the PT? Very clever! You'll not get anywhere until you accept that the way through this is NO exercising/PT.

Goodness; some of these stories make my knees ache in sympathy. Yours is one of them!
Your doctor and his staff sound like world class jerks which certainly isn't helping the situation either.
I can't add anything else except if it hurts or makes it worse, don't do it. You found that out when you went back to P.T.

Last edited:
OK, so just when I think things are getting a bit better and I've laid off the PT but now I notice a thud each time I walk up the stairs or extend my leg. I can feel it! I remember asking the doctor prior to surgery because I read the ct scan that there was severe arthritis under the knee cap and how would he remove it. He said he didn't do much resurfacing because it weakens the knee cap.

Please tell me this will get better? I don't know how but if one more thing goes wrong I'm gonna rip out the rest of my hair!

The grinding thud aches. The doc's office says it will get better but it has actually gotten worse. Josephine, did you have this thud in the knee for a while? It's as if the knee tracking is off and I think I read somewhere about it in the forum but can't find it.

Thanks all for your patience.

Oh, I also remember the doctor said something about when resurfacing is done, a button is placed in the knee and it makes things more difficult for the patient. Lord only knows....

those stretches do hit the mark. hoping they last a bit. thank you!!!

Goodness; some of these stories make my knees ache in sympathy.
And imagine the money he's making!! thanks!

@Dizzy amen!!

now i notice a thud each time i walk up the stairs, or extend my leg.
I still have that. I can make it clunk on demand. It doesn't hurt, but I can feel it. I don't think it's anything to worry about. I've read that many hear noises from they knees!

I really think some doctors need refreshers on how to act humanely towards their patients!! The OS who did my RTKR is an excellent surgeon, but his bedside manner leaves a lot to be desired!! He is very arrogant, and acts like he is God's gift to surgery. I'm so glad the OS I had for my LTKR was very compassionate, patient, and treated me decently.

I absolutely agree about the opioids- but it's really not a doctor thing. It's a legislative thing . I'm sure if the doctors could prescribe more they would.

Here in FL the laws changed on 7/1 . They are so strict it's ridiculous. Its all political. All the legislators care about is getting re elected . They can't possibly care about people or they would have accounted for surgical patients that need pain meds for longer than 3 days. It's my understanding that ortho surgeons spoke in Tallahassee on behalf of their patients .But their voices were lost in the politics of it all .

Hello. I saw my OS yesterday and he said the clunking in the knee is nothing to worry about. He could make it happen by wiggling my leg in a certain direction. He said it is about the ligaments at the side that will get better and if it doesn’t go away I will become less conscious of it.
Resting up here. Wanting my normal back. It’s a long journey. Hang in there.
Kathryn

My 'normal' was painful knees making everything difficult. I'm happy enough with my new normal which will get better and better! Hope yours will too!

My 'normal' was painful knees making everything difficult. I'm happy enough with my new normal which will get better and better! Hope yours will too!

That's what's got me. I'm in more pain now than prior. I keep praying at this point.

You'll get to a pain free new normal one day. I hope it's soon, very soon. Best wishes!

It took about 4-5 months before my knee felt better than before the surgery. We are all different and there's different work that had to be done inside each knee. You will be glad you had it done!

Hi all! well I just saw my knee surgeon for the last visit. It's been such a long haul I could just use some inspiration and hope!

The knee function is better but the crunching and thudding is getting worse. The doc said it may be scar tissue and said the xrays look 'pretty good'. Honestly I didn't even have the time to ask what 'pretty good' meant. And my other knee is really declining. He didn't check the hip. Suggested a relative to check out my back.

I had to have my hip injected by a local doc because now I am having tremendous pain and tightness around the hip, groin, and buttock. It relieved the groin for a short period, although this doc says the hip joint looks good thinks it may be torn labra. I am so beat up trying to get through this knee, I can't imagine another surgery.

I am very frustrated because the pain still keeps me from shopping, sleeping, etc. It's very depressing. I am on the last of the hydrocodone, tapering way down, and the knee doc says generally most people are happy with their replacements by now and not having issues (at 3 months).

I keep looking back at the forum and praying that time will heal. If there's any other suggestions please let me know. The pain in the quad and hip is severe and I don't want to be on pain meds.

I read somewhere here about someone having issues with her quads and had to have another surgery. Does that ring a bell?

Thanks for patience!

Well, first off, 3 months is only ¼ the way through the year long, on average, recovery, so your surgeon must have a lot of amazing recoveries in his practice.

I am going to tag @Josephine our forum administrator and nurse director to address your concerns.

I’m sorry you are still in so much pain. :console2:

The doc said it may be scar tissue
It really gets me! Every time they confronted with a situation for which they have no answer, it's 'scar tissue'!! Dumbos!
(He) thinks it may be torn labra
And it's much more likely referred pain from your knee!
I read somewhere here about someone having issues with her quads and had to have another surgery. Does that ring a bell?
Not with me, I'm afraid.

Frustrating! I am praying for patience... thanks!

And yes, first the doctor talks of how traumatic this surgery is to the body and then tells me that within 3 months most are happy they had it done. I honestly can't say that at this point. And I do agree that it certainly feels like referred pain.

Also, is that profile pic of your cat real - it is adorable!!!

Hello. I saw my OS yesterday and he said the clunking in the knee is nothing to worry about. He could make it happen by wiggling my leg in a certain direction. He said it is about the ligaments at the side that will get better and if it doesn’t go away I will become less conscious of it.
The knee function is better but the crunching and thudding is getting worse. The doc said it may be scar tissue and said the xrays look 'pretty good'.
It's probably this, and it's normal:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Also, is that profile pic of your cat real - it is adorable!!!
Actually, it's a Google cat and it's been available on Google for years. I would imagine the model is long since departed this earth if not the internet!

Tongue_Out_Cat 2.jpg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member