THR Zbest85 in recovery!

8 weeks today!
I'm down to just minor aches from time to time, I've been very busy getting caught up at home and work, so I've put off starting outpatient PT.
I find myself walking at a much faster pace suddenly, uneven ground is no longer painful to walk on.
I need to get my left side loosened up so putting on a sock isn't awkward.
All in all I think my recovery is going better than expected.
I'll report back in 4 more weeks, right after I get back from Bermuda, taking my wife there again for our 30th anniversary.

I'll report back in 4 more weeks, right after I get back from Bermuda, taking my wife there again for our 30th anniversary.

So happy for you..and seriously jealous!
You deserve a great trip and congratulations on your 30th.

Take care and stay safe.

:wowspring:That is a wonderful update! May it only get better and better.
What a guy....taking your wife to Bermuda for your 30th wedding anniversary.
Happy Anniversary and safe travels! We'd love to get an update when you return.
@zbest85

13 weeks today! (Edit: 14 weeks, I miscounted.:blush:)
Feeling pretty good, still some minor pain for a few seconds when standing up after sitting for a while.

Our trip to Bermuda was great, made it through both airports without a strip search, the resort we stayed at is on the ocean up on a hill, so lots of inclines and stairs, no issues and in fact I think that helped stretch things out.
We even rented Jet Skis and took them out into the ocean, no problems at all, which was one of my big worries as we own Ski's and I feared that I wouldn't be able to use them.
I never did start outpatient physical therapy, my range of motion and strength keeps improving so unless my OS gives me a valid reason I don't see why I need it.

I'll say it again, I feel my recovery has gone much better than expected, I can do all the tasks that I did prior to surgery, except without the hip pain, and it looks like it will only get better as time goes on.

PS, If you ever get the chance to go to Bermuda, DO IT!
WE have been there 5 times, already rebooked for next May with friends, and love it more each time we go.
Its a beautiful clean, safe island with wonderful people, on Saturday night at dinner we sat at a table right next to actor Michael Douglas, a nice little bonus!

Last edited:
Strip search :yikes: Huh?!!
Sounds like you had fun in Bermuda! Good for you.
Five times visiting, you must love it. I'll bet it's beautiful.

Great news on your progress. It sounds like you're thriving without PT. Not surprising.
Congrats on 13 weeks. May it only get better!
@zbest85

Great update...isn't it amazing how much better life is after THR.
I am still in awe!
Onward and upward:surfer:

You're making me want to go back! Glad (and jealous!!) to hear you were back on Jet Skis - I'll bet you had a lot more fun than the last time you went!

You're making me want to go back! Glad (and jealous!!) to hear you were back on Jet Skis - I'll bet you had a lot more fun than the last time you went!

@Bone-obo You are so right, the last time I used my ski was last August at Sebago Lake in Maine, the north end of the lake can develop huge swells with the right wind conditions and I couldn't resist playing in the waves , I hobbled off the dock and called the OS shortly after.

I had my 14 week checkup with my OS, all looks good, he recommends PT to loosen up my left side, he says if I don't it will settle and I'll have to live with it, any truth in that?
He cringed a bit when I told him about Jet Skiing last week, he said I was making him nervous.:no-fin:

he recommends PT to loosen up my left side, he says if I don't it will settle and I'll have to live with it, any truth in that?
Loosen up what exactly? I did some PT at around three months with a different PT than I was placed with and quit one week out! They helped with retraining some muscles for years of bad gait and posture, showed me helpful stretches to "loosen up" muscles, most that I can do at home and still do from time to time.
I am NOT a fan of adding any weight or resistance bands as those always aggravated my healing ! If it hurts or causes tightness or swelling, don't do it.
Hips don't need PT to get better, but some of those muscles that got wonky or weak may benefit.

Well here I am at just about 22 weeks, came back today from a weeks vacation on Sebago Lake Maine.
I spent 4-5 hours per day on my Jet Ski and boy did that loosen up my stiff muscles!

The lake is huge and can be pretty rough at times, the constant movement worked the leg and back muscles nicely, The first day was painful but each day the pain was less and I could clearly see and feel increased range of motion.
At no time did I feel strain on the hip that made me nervous.
So far so good!

@zbest85 !
So good to hear from you.
I'm so glad you are doing well:ok:
May everything continue to get better and better!

Hi all,

6.5 Months since surgery!
I feel like I've reached a new level of recovery, discomfort that I was feeling immediately upon standing up has diminished to the point that I don't anticipate it any more.
Range and fluidity of motion continues to improve.
NO physical Therapy since the initial sessions right after surgery.
Almost back to climbing stairs 2 at a time!

Reading this with awe! What a great recovery! I have a date with a hobie cat in four months time and can’t wait to get better.
Did you have Posterior or anterior? 10 weeks out for me and bouncy waves and I would not get on right now. I used to love jet skiing too.

Interesting about no outside Pt. did you do a lot of walking?

I never did start outpatient physical therapy, my range of motion and strength keeps improving so unless my OS gives me a valid reason I don't see why I need it.

NO physical Therapy since the initial sessions right after surgery.

Yay...doing it the BoneSmart Way!:yahoo:
So glad you are back to life in a big way!
Things will just get better and better..onward @zbest85 :egypdance:

What a great update @zbest85
Thanks for sharing.
May it only get better!

Reading this with awe! What a great recovery! I have a date with a hobie cat in four months time and can’t wait to get better.
Did you have Posterior or anterior? 10 weeks out for me and bouncy waves and I would not get on right now. I used to love jet skiing too.

Interesting about no outside Pt. did you do a lot of walking?

Posterior, and I do a fair amount of walking and stair climbing at my job.

Thanks for answering my question and what a great example you are :)

One year ago I sat here wondering what tomorrow would
bring, I'm happy to report that my journey has been pretty positive.
I have experienced ups and down's since my hip replacement, but today I walked the entire length of my company's expansive warehouse at a fast pace with absolutely no pain whatsoever!
I am able to do everything that I was able to do prior to my hip replacement without issue.
Thank you to all that offered advice and encouragement through this journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom