Bilateral THR “Oh you brave soul!”<

mannyalfa

Country
United States United States
It’s been a little over 12 hours since my surgery: I still can’t believe it happened!

I got my preop ‘cocktail’ and the next thing I knew I was in recovery (!) Although I don’t remember it, the surgical nurse said that everyone got a chuckle because I went into my 6 Million Dollar Man routine when they put the mask on me “Meet Steve Austin, astronaut: a man barely alive...”

I got GA and no spinal block. When I woke up in recovery two things hit me: mouth and lips were dry, and both legs were throbbing with pain from thigh to ankle!! They gave my first OxyContin and wheeled me to my PRIVATE room (nice!). Got my first glimpse at my post op legs: they were betadine orange-I never shaved my legs before, that felt weird, bandages on my hips are small, and I have the ‘1’ and ‘2’ in market on my right and left leg that the doctor wrote when he saw me pre-op, the catheter was gone: came & went and I never knew it! Once the pain meds kicked in, I started moving my feet and wiggling my toes.

I now have two artificial hips... I have to let that sink in.

Despite the pain, emotionally I feel really great! Almost a ‘post-op euphoria’.

I got my appetite back pretty quickly, I fell asleep again and woke up @ 9PM. I missed dinner, so I had my first packet of Met-Rx which I mixed in water for a pudding-like consistency.

I watched a little TV, texted some friends and very gently massaged my legs.

It’s 6 AM, and this morning I’ll rave my first steps!

It’s still a little unnerving when the staff says “you got a bilateral? You brave soul!”

Oh wow, 2 at once. I haven't heard of that before. Still I guess it means that you dont need to go through the process again.
I expect you are on quite a lot of drugs at the moment and that helps a lot but although you are feeling quite good now don't be surprised if you get a downer to. It's quite normal
I also woke up hungry and ate a huge meal then for a couple of days after that my appetite went really down hill and even for a few days when I got home I was only eating baby meals. Definitely gone back to normal now though.
Hope you keep well

@mannyalfa Welcome to the other side. If you have been hanging out here on BoneSmart you know that we have plenty of members who have had BTHR. My colleague @Mojo333 had her op not that long ago. Rest and ask for ice often. It will ease the post surgery discomfort.

Here is your reading list to refer to during this journey:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave:my friend!
You are officially a super hero!
I'm glad they have your pain managed..it is what will allow you to be mobile AND get some rest.
It’s still a little unnerving when the staff says “you got a bilateral? You brave soul!”
My surgery was done at an orthopedic surgery center.
My pre-op appointment was Friday prior to Monday surgery.
I thought I was mentally prepared for getting this thing done!
At every station, blood work, imaging, EKG...the techs would glance at chart and say...hmm...hip surgery. Which hip? I'd say both.
They would say "At the same time?"
After the third one...I left in tears.
I told DH...these people work here and they act like they have never heard of it!:flabber:
Take it slow and realize this first week will be the toughest!
I am completely happy with getting mine one and done..I have gotten back to my life in a big way.
You will too.
All temporary....you are on your way to a life with no hip pain:yes!:

Glad to see you on the healing side!

Woohooo well done! Now just remember this was a huge thing you’ve gone through and recovery isn’t always as straight forward as you think it should be. I got quite down on myself at times cause I thought I wasn’t progressing as fast as I thought I should. You can’t rush it and you’ll get there. Lots of ice and rest and check in here with any worries. These people in here are so brilliant!

Whoop whoop @mannyalfa you are through and on the healing side! :happydance:Bummer to miss dinner, but great you had your stash of goodies!
So funny that you went into your 6 Million Dollar Man routine prior to nodding off for surgery. They will have to zipper my mouth shut! You are truly bionic now, and yes you did two at the same time...wowsa! :cheers:

Wishing you continued managed pain meds, rest, good healing and looking forward to hearing soon about your first walk about with two new hips! :spin::spin:

Good morning. I hope.
How was the first stroll down the bilateral lane.
My room was a very long hall...and PT room was down the end of another really long hall.
I had ninety year olds passing me in the hallway as I would have to take several mini pauses to get to my destination.
Complained it was not fair that I had farther to go:heehee:
Sobering experience to be so dependant these first days.
Hang in there.

I was also anxious though happy when they decided to discharge me.
How will I manage? How much will I put on my DH and family?
It was so much easier to get comfortable once i got home and daily activities were figured out regularly quickly.

Hope today is a Good Day....temporary recovery mess..is just that, temporary recovery mess.:friends:

36 hours after surgery: rough night last night: no matter how I positioned myself I couldn’t get comfortable! Leg pain was bad, quads were throbbing PT sessions were a slow start, literally baby steps. This is going to be a process!!

It’s amazing how much pain killers lower your blood pressure.

First meeting with my OS, asked me ‘how does it feel to be an inch taller?’ (!) How about that??!! Also said that symmetry in leg length was excellent. I can’t believe how small my incisions are!

Luckily the catheter was removed post-surgery before I regained consciousness. I experienced what I call ‘consti-pee-tion’ The first day, but I had friends bring me apple juice, which I diluted with a water and added my chlorella/Sprulina mix, and before I knew it my urine output was great!

I spend the day very gently massaging my quads: they are sore!

I got this! I just need to be patient.....

I spend the day very gently massaging my quads: they are sore!

Yes they are...and will be for a good bit.
Hip pain gone though

You DO have this...baby steps are all you should be doing.
Good mojo coming your way!:yes:

Excellent news!.
The first few days are really tough.
Hang in there.

It will get better really soon, you will regain control on your hips/legs and you'll be surprised about how good it feels.
Say goodbye to arthritic pain forever!!!

So sorry you had a rough night...hopefully tonight will be better. Can you get an extra boost pain-med wise through the night, and before PT (except that it lowers blood pressure)? Tricky trying to figure these things out...it is a juggle between the pain meds, blood pressure and the PT. Maybe just Tylenol before PT might not have such a blood-pressure-drop effect, but will take the edge off of the quad throb so PT is "easier"?

Are you able to ice the quads? @Mojo333 said her quads complained bitterly but the icing really helped. I think 40 mins, at least four times a day is what is recommended on BS. Don't forget to have a piece of fabric between you and the ice pack:ice:so no freezer burn!

Check the water works functioning box..next!. You've got this!

You and the medical crew will get the pain meds and BP balance soon enough. From what I'm reading it may take a couple of days post op, but as soon as it comes up and you are "cruising" (I'll remember that as I'm doing the "two step" with my walker next month :snork:) at a level where you, and the PT, feel you can cope at home, they'll be chucking you out the door!

Wishing you a restful, pain-managed night, normalized blood pressure , and a whole lot of patience!:SUNsmile:

Hi there :wave:
So sorry to hear you were struggling overnight. It does sound like you need your meds adjusted if your pain was enough that you couldn't rest comfortably. Consider speaking to the nursing staff about that.
Recovery definitely requires patience. It has its good days and not so good days.
We'll be here to support and encourage you through it all.
Hopefully today is a better day and your night is a peaceful one!
@mannyalfa

Just finished my morning PT session: leaps & bounds better than yesterday!! Used my walker down the hall, then used the hallway railing for calf raises and knee raises. Amazing when you can see & feel the progress!

Ugh! That makes me nervous. @Josephine what is your opinion on calf raises and knee raises.
Safe? Or not?

Just finished my morning PT session
Did you read the articles that Jaycey left for you in post #3? (obviously not!) because in there was this advice

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

This is PT from the Hospital, and not on my own: walking with my walker, calf and knee raises. Feel free to ask whatever you need....

This is PT from the Hospital, and not on my own
What difference does that make? It's still YOUR leg and your right to choose! Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
etc., etc.

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

Anterior (I was surprised how small the incision was)

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

Pain level is between 2 and 4, staff here is great about pain management

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

OxyContin 10 mg every 4 hrs or as neede Toradol 15 mg as needed Tylenol1000 mg

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

Yes. Almost Continuously

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

Yes, as long as it's comfortable or unless I gently massage my quads, which I do frequently. I try not to sit in one position too long.

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

(still in hospital)

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a wee
etc., etc

Day of surgery-NO PT!

Day after surgery: AM: stand, get my footing for the first time, use walker to hospital room door (about 15 ft). Practice getting in and out of bed and chair.

PM: getting in and out of bed, use walker slightly further (into the hallway)

I think that the first day was more of a 'confidence building exercise' and helped me to gauge what it would be like moving forward, with the emphasis on not pushing myself. They kept saying 'listen to your body'

Day two AM & PM: in/out of bed, walk w/walker into hallway, calf, leg & knee raises, 5x each leg

**PT folks said to stop if feeling any pain or excess fatigue. It was a positive experience.

Urine output was low first, got much better 2nd day, went several times, basically filled the portable urinal

Overall my care was absolutely great. I look forward to healing, getting stronger, and regaining my quality of life-I think I'm well on my way!

Last edited:
I didn't realise you were still in hospital. I'll wait until you've been home a few days!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • eaglemom
    Staff member since May 24, 2021
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member