PKR Surgeon Locator

I haven't had time to read every forum.

It's sad that patients talk about this, but doctors and therapists do not.

My OS did. Also, the PT in the hospital said to walk heel to toe. I have, as have many others, mentioned it many times in our advice. Thank you for being it up again. All people need to walk this way, not just tkr patients!

The migrating pains in my leg have stopped, but I was still having intermittent stabbing pain at the back of my right knee.

Yesterday, I went back to my surgeon. He drained 40cc of fluid from my knee.

Is that a lot? I'm only 11 weeks out. This is the third surgery on my right knee (though first replacement). Could that be a factor?

Are you elevating, toes above nose? That should help to drain that knee. The only time I had to have mine drained was after my first surgery when the PT in the hospital was too aggressive. Since then, I never took PT again! Are you having rough PT? That could explain the extra swelling and fluid.

I'm halfway through my PT, once per week for 12 weeks. Nothing overly strenuous.

I can't elevate above my heart at work, but I recently bought a leg wedge pillow, so it's properly elevated at night.

I'm icing on and off all day.

He drained 40cc of fluid from my knee. Is that a lot?
Not really.
I'm halfway through my PT, once per week for 12 weeks. Nothing overly strenuous.
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

I'm at 15 weeks, and the knee stiffness is back. At least, this time, I know what's causing it. Fluid build-up. My knee will need to be drained again.

My surgeon advised me this might happen, so I'm not overly concerned. My question is, how long can I expect this over-production of synovial fluid to continue?

Are you going to answer my questions? I don't mind if you choose not to. Would just like to know

I will when I have some time. In addition to dealing with my recovery, I also take care of my elderly disabled mother.

The stiffness is gone, but the swelling is back with a vengeance.

I'm at 15½ weeks, with the swelling steadily going down. I had definition, with the swelling well below pre-surgery levels. This morning I can barely see my kneecap.

Is this normal?

Well that's why I want you to answer my questions as I will be able to answer you better then.

Has anyone had a debridement before a replacement?

I will need to have my left knee replaced as well as my right. I want to strengthen the muscles, and tried to do the exercises my therapist has me doing for my right knee, and I can't. I can't even do leg lifts without my left knee crackling in pain.

Okay, so you're not going to answer my questions!

My surgeon, Dr. David Golden, is not in your database. He should be. I've had five knee operations, the first in 1978 (when I was 17). Dr. Golden performed the last two. He is not only a skilled surgeon, he is incredibly nice, with a great bedside manner. He answers all your questions without condescension. They don't get any better.

He's affiliated with Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles.

BTW, my second partial replacement (on my left knee) was 19 days ago. My recovery is going much better than the surgery last year (on my right knee). It probably helps that, this time, I did not have an allergic reaction to the surgical adhesive.

HI, @lm945 ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Even though it's a different topic, you are only allowed one thread for recovery.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

My surgeon, Dr. David Golden, is not in your database. He should be. I've had five knee operations, the first in 1978 (when I was 17). Dr. Golden performed the last two. He is not only a skilled surgeon, he is incredibly nice, with a great bedside manner. He answers all your questions without condescension. They don't get any better.
Our surgeon locator database is still in its infancy.
It was only rolled out in May and there was an announcement about it.
You can read it here:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/new-bonesmart-joint-surgeon-locator-tool.53222/#post-1303064

In the announcement, Jamie says,
We don't make that a requirement for a surgeon to be listed on our locator. There are approximately 25,000 orthopedic surgeons in the USA. We have initially populated our Locator database with about 7,000 doctors and we're adding more as fast as we can get names, addresses and phone numbers.

Putting together a meaningful Locator tool will take some time and this rollout is just the start. During the coming year we will be adding names and hopefully getting surgeons to understand the benefit of our Locator over the other tools that are out there.

Maybe you could help, by tagging Jamie and giving her the contact details for your surgeon?

BTW, my second partial replacement (on my left knee) was 19 days ago. My recovery is going much better than the surgery last year (on my right knee). It probably helps that, this time, I did not have an allergic reaction to the surgical adhesive.
I'm glad your left PKR is goign well.
Please will you tell us the full date it was done, so we can add it to your signature? Thank you. :flwrysmile:

You asked for an update. The PKR on my right knee was on March 7, 2018. The PKR on my left knee was May 23, 2019.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back