Terrified

They are aware of the potential and they're acting on that. It's not really a good idea to take antibiotics "just in case". That's how antibiotic-resistant bacteria develop.

Hello Dear Lady,
I feel the same as you. It dominates me. They will give you enough medicine to stop the pain
From being so uncomfortable. You just need to tell them. I Got through it, I swear I thought I couldn't, but I did
and it was worth it. Your knees will only get worse with no relief. So you are making the right decision if you
don't like pain.
So I got a needle phobia because I had countless ones stuck in me. What I do when they come to poke
a needle in me is I look away in the other direction hum a tune or talk and I some times hold my ear and pinch
it and make it hurt .Doing those things keeps my mind focused and away from the pain or thought of it.
I also try and take it because I think of all the poor children who are stuck with them and here
I am a large grown man acting like that.
It works for me.
I think it was better having the line in my hand, with this they don't have to stick you that much.
I got used to it and didn't even know it was there after 8 months.
You can do this it's just a quick pinch, really try and distract yourself and you will
feel better. With the pain after no one likes it but we all get on the other side and forget...
After you get this done you will feel so much better.
If you tell them they will give you something that makes you feel less stress and that will
help. So you will be in good hands.
Your very blessed to have this opportunity to have this done. It made me grateful

Hi Mollymax, just noticed that over 1,000 people have viewed your thread! That would mean the word "terrified" caught their eye because we all were/are terrified and still went through with it! Or you're just a very popular lady LOL.

I agree, it’s an eye catching title!

I think there are some people...me included...that are looking to reconcile "I'm terrified" with all of the "I wish I had done it sooner" feedback. I just keep telling myself that I can't get to the 'wish I had done it sooner' benefit...until I actually get it done...

Steve4kids you sum it up perfectly - the fear dominates me. I really don't know where the needle phobia comes from. I only know it's been there as long as I remember. My very first blood test that I remember was as age 20 when pregnant with my first child. I threw up all over the doctor. I remember he was very angry with me and shouted at me. Not sure if that's when the whole pain fear started too. 44 years later I just dissolve into hysterics at needles and pain.
I look forward to posting on the other side and letting all you lovely people know if I made it or wimped out. 7 days to go....ulp...
I didn't realise you could see how many people view a thread. I didn't plan am eye catching title. It's just one that totally sums up how I feel. I wish I was a very popular lady...:heehee::heehee:

You're popular on here and that's all that matters for now!
1 week! that's awesome! Go girl!

Hello MollyMax,
Like many others, I understand your fear. When I asked my surgeon about the post pain, he said this,
"Well, I'm guessing your pain now is 10+, and my patients say the pain level after surgery is 4-6." This statement cured my fears. Knowing my pain would be less after surgery, got me excited. I was living with pain of 10+ daily. Also, the doctor's response told me that my fear of pain was more psychological for me. I convinced myself that the pain would be much greater than my current pain simply because I was having "surgery" and surgery MUST be painful. My doctor was right. My pain level on the average was and is "4". Post op pain was nothing like pre-op pain. I am 9 weeks out from Bilateral Knee Replacement. Focus of the final outcome and not the pain, its all worth it.
Anna

Thank you Anna. I am one of the people whose pre op pain isn't too bad. Only at certain times like walking to far and waking round shops, standing too long, turning over in bed etc. Maybe that is why I am so terrified off post op pain as its going to be worse or do my brain tells me. I guess I will be finding it next week. Really really wish I could conquer this fear.

Trying to get prepared for next week. Now got a shower stool and a grabber thing to help pick up things. I am looking at getting a toilet frame as my toilet is a bit low and I think I will need the frame to help me up and down.
Can I ask what is maybe a silly question? I don't have a recliner and don't want to spend all day sitting on the bed to keep my feet up. I will be sitting on the sofa to elevate operated leg but trying it the only comfy way is with my other leg down on the floor. My sofa is only a 2 seater. Will this be enough elevation or should I pile pillows up under the leg? I don't want to feel shut away in the bedroom as the bed is for nighttime.

Molly, you will have post-op pain, but it can be controlled, so that it's at a level you can cope with. Every day, the pain should decrease a little bit.

Make sure you take your pain medications on a regular schedule, and when you're in hospital ring for the nurse about 15 minutes before the medication is due. That will give them time to get your medications when they are due.

Have you looked at the information under "Pain Management" in the blue bar at the top of the page?

I used my bed. It was a great place to nest! I could sleep when I wanted, watch netflex , or just relax. The investment for a recliner was not worth it. The first weeks after surgery the days and nights didn’t matter.

Celle I don't see that? I am using a mobile phone so maybe it doesn't show or do I have to go into something else to find it? Thanks

I think if my bedroom was downstairs I would use the bed more but if I have to stay upstairs I just know I would get very depressed as my husband would just stay away from me and even getting him to bring me a cuppa would be a nightmare whereas downstairs he can't ignore me.... lol

Use the browser on your mobile phone to take you to BoneSmart's web site,
https://bonesmart.org/forum/

The app is pretty basic and you miss quite a lot of things when you use it.

Is there something downstairs that you could use as your bed?
Do you have a bathroom downstairs? You will be making frequent trips to the bathroom and you don't want to be climbing a flight of stairs each time.

If possible, when you have stairs, try to arrange it so that you only have to come down the stairs and go backup again once each day.

I can't see trying to get comfy and elevate properly on a "two-seater" sofa/love seat. We have both a sofa and a love seat and I can barely get comfy on the sofa; trying to lie down, or sit, and elevate on the love seat would be a recipe for disaster IMHO. You won't really feel like socializing for a while anyway so I suggest you make a recovery nest in your bedroom for when you need to mostly rest, and as you're up more, spend more time downstairs. The bed is for sleeping I agree, but also a cozy nest when ill, recovering from surgery, etc. That way you're always in a comfy spot, can rest whenever you need to and hubby won't need to worry he's too loud, etc. Plus all the clutter of a recovery will be confined to your bedroom and not in the main living area(s) of your home, which is really helpful when you've recovered enough to notice the clutter but are not yet able to do anything about it. I also suggest if you need your hubby, call or text him on his cell phone. That way he'll help you out and you won't be hollering down to him.

Thanks Celle I will try that and look for the pain management. Yes I have a toilet downstairs so once down in the morning I don't need to go back up till bed time. I don't want to use the stairs too much as both my knees are bad and my unoperated leg may take some punishment and its painful enough for now. Only the sofa though too lie on.

Lovetocookandsew what you are saying makes good sense. We don't have a tv in our bedroom which is going to be a pain as I see people spend a lot of time watching daytime TV to pass the time. I need to re-assess things I think. I also don't have a lot of space around my bed and certainly not space to use a walking frame. Hopefully I will manage on crutches but it will be tight. Goodness I really haven't thought this out very well. My first plan had been to travel down to our caravan which has lots of space and all on the flat but hubby talked me out of that due to the drive time. Maybe I need to change his mind.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member