THR AJinNH’s recovery RTHR

I’m so happy that my posts are helping you on your journey @Cassidy because I’ve received so much help and encouragement on this forum, it’s good to know that I’m giving back. We have a lot in common so I understand your struggle with whether to wait or not. I can tell you now that I’m glad I went ahead with it because I can see the damage it was doing to my muscles, ligaments and other joints. Most of my rehab has been teaching my body that it doesn’t need to protect a bad hip anymore. I’m walking taller and straighter than I have in years which also helps me feel younger and more energetic. I can also see a big difference in how quickly I’m recovering compared to those who wait a lot longer.

I’ll be here to hold your hand as you get closer to your surgery date, and then through recovery. :console2:

Hey @anny how’s that other hip holding out? I hope that you’re getting some relief while you wait for your second op. I can’t imagine preparing for another surgery so soon after the first. I think your left hip was jealous of all the attention that the right one was getting. You’re wise getting it taken care of sooner than later. I’m pretty sure I would have made the same call now that I’ve been through it once.

I’m sending you positive, healing vibes...ready? Catch!

Most of my rehab has been teaching my body that it doesn’t need to protect a bad hip anymore. I’m walking taller and straighter than I have in years which also helps me feel younger and more energetic

I feel the same.
Good for you AJ

What's even funnier, @anny, is I turned up for my joint school and found I'd been sent to the knee replacement class in error, so I had to ignore the suggested exercises, etc. I should have gone tomorrow, which would have been difficult as I work and had already had to change my days to accommodate my pre-op. When I spoke to the admissions lady a month or so ago she said that my consultant was fully booked until the end of May, and I'm next on the list, so I'm hoping I'll get my date through soon. I want it but I don't, if you know what I mean!

@AJinNH - I try to walk upright, although my daughter tells me I'm limping when I'm not even aware of it - I suppose it becomes automatic. I was told yesterday that my restrictions will probably be for 12 weeks, which was disappointing as I'd thought 6 weeks was more than enough - especially with the delightful TEDS! - and what I hadn't realised was that I wouldn't be able to sit on my swivel chair at work after 6 weeks, so I'll have to investigate alternatives. I'm afraid the therapist also didn't help much when she said that if I'd had a previous infection in the joint, it was more likely that I'd get an infection this time. I said it was 12 years ago, but she didn't rush to encourage me! She also said if I'd had MRSA (which was hospital acquired and, again, 12 years ago) I'd probably be in a side room. I suppose I might sleep better, but I'd been looking forward to the camaraderie of a ward. Oh well, this whole caboodle can be a bit of a bumpy ride it seems.

Wow, 12 weeks does sound like a long time for restrictions @Cassidy . Is that because of your previous infection or other health concerns or is it your dr’s standard recommendation? Ted’s in the summer won’t be fun, but you’ll definitely be making a fashion statement :heehee: It’s amazing how diverse the restrictions can be. I didn’t have any of the 90 degree restrictions, just told no extreme movements. I wore Teds for 30 days, plus I took an anticoagulant because of family history.

I missed, or forgot, that you had a joint infection before, what did you have done? Are you going to the same hospital this time? I’m concerned that they said you’re more likely to get an infection this time, frankly that would send me running to get another opinion. And to find out what their strategy is to make sure that it doesn’t happen again. I would definitely talk to someone about what the nurse told you, it just doesn’t sound right to me. Are you very confident in this surgeon? I’m sorry, but I’m suddenly feeling all protective here and think you should get another opinion. I don’t mean to alarm you, sorry.

I was in a private room when I was in the hospital and I was glad afterwards that I was. I did get some rest that I’m sure I wouldn’t have otherwise.

@AJinNH - I'm happy for you to feel protective! In fairness, it was one of the therapists that said about the infection rather off the cuff - the OS himself has done an MRI scan and a blood test and says that there are no signs of infection and after 12 years it should be unlikely. I'm ultra nervous about infection as I had such a bad run before. I was misdiagnosed as having sciatica when I had actually had a bone infection which they think travelled from a tooth abscess for which I should have been given antibiotics, had the UK Government not advised against the overuse of them. I then acquired MRSA whilst in hospital. I won't be in the same building, as the hospital I'm having the op in is a dedicated orthopaedic hospital, so the rates of MRSA and norovirus are negligible.

@Cassidy why don't you start your own thread in the pre-op area. I am sure other pre-op members will be interested in this discussion and want to join in.

Hello @Jaycey - I have actually got a thread, but not added to it for some time as nothing has happened that's worth posting! I've been following the progress of @AJinNH and @anny in particular because they were having their ops at about the time I first posted, and as I was looking for reassurance that I was doing the right thing, they both inspired me to forge on! Now it's getting closer to the actual hour, though, I'm back to seeing the potential drawbacks! I also can't shake the resentment at needing the op because of a misdiagnosis by a particularly pompous consultant, who I never felt was made aware of his failing. As my husband says - let it go (the cue for a song!)

@Cassidy We just don't want to derail AJ's recovery thread.

I hear you about incorrect diagnosis. My left hip had to collapse before I got the right diagnosis. And the realisation that a part of your body has failed - tough stuff!

You have lots of members who will follow you on your thread. Get posting there and we will be with you all the way!

@Cassidy feel free to copy and paste any of our conversation into your own thread, @Jaycey is right, you deserve your own followers. That includes me too, I’ll follow you. Also, I never mind discussing your journey here as well.

I’m greatly relieved that your doctor reacted differently, and in my opinion, more appropriately to your past infection.

You're such a sweetheart @AJinNH :loveshwr:

I'll check in on you too, @Cassidy
I pulled up your thread on the pre-op side so we can all offer our two cents, for what it's worth :heehee:
We're all rooting for you! :yay:

my restrictions will probably be for 12 weeks, which was disappointing as I'd thought 6 weeks was more than enough

Hi Cassidy......certainly remember the 'want it.....but don't'! And I'm now at that stage again, you'd think you'd clearer minded the second time round! Interesting that you've got 12 weeks of restrictions.....I was told 6 wks at first but at my 6wk checkup the surgeon said he wanted me to carry on for another 6 wks....no previous problems, no apparent surgery problems, so I'm a bit stumped :what:. Will be asking him when I see him in 3 wks.

Hi @AJinNH .....reckon I must have caught those healing vibes (surprising for such a butterfingers!).....leftie is quiet as a mouse today :heehee: that's sort of good and bad....when it's not hurting it allows those little doubts to creep in....maybe it's not so bad, maybe it's just referred from the new hip, maybe I'm hypersensitive to any sensation in any hip, etc etc. Not learning my lesson from the first time round!! Glad you're doing so well, and do hope your other one is remaining staunch and troublefree? Have to say, I'm finding it difficult to recall the exact sort of pain I was having pre-op......maybe need a memory replacement too :heehee:

Happy two months! :dancy: Glad you're managing to sleep better now. Its soul destroying when you can't sleep.

I past the 10 week mark on Monday and continue to see improvements. My sleep continues to improve, and I finally feel rested in the morning. PT has cut me down to once a week, and I’ll be done in a couple more weeks. I’m taking water aerobics classes and continue to have weekly therapeutic massages.

Last week I had an upper respiratory infection that knocked the stuffing out of me, I was surprised at how wiped out I was. I’m sure my immune system has been compromised. Fortunately I’m back to normal this week. While I was sick everything was harder, going up stairs, stretching, everything. So even 10 weeks out I have to remind myself that my body is still recovering.

I’m off OTC pain meds and only occasionally will use them when I know I’m going to be doing something strenuous. The psoas stretches continue to be helpful. That psoas tightened right up when I was sick and my activity level decreased, so I had to be diligent about the stretches. Which brings me to the lesson that I continue to learn throughout this recovery; overdoing it is bad, but so is inactivity. I feel so much better after I’ve been stretching, in the pool or out walking. Otherwise I’m stiff and aching.

I’ll be traveling for the first time since surgery soon, so I’ll let you know what it was like being screened by TSA with my new hip. Can’t wait to see the grandkids!

Glad to hear you are doing well. I also got to a place in my recovery where too much sitting or laying would just stiffen me right up.
Glad you are getting over that nasty illness.
I haven't had a chance to check out the TSA yet so will be checking back to see how you fare with your trip.
Good to hear update, AJ:loveshwr:

Last edited:
@AJinNH I've been through TSA a few times since my THR and it hasn't been any trouble. They've sent me through the tube scanner rather than the metal detector if the scanner isn't being used for everyone going through security. I've been through at least one metal detector too, and didn't seem to set it off.

Sounds like your recovery continues to go well!

@AJinNH so happy to hear you're doing so well! I'm still getting stiff if I sit around too long--guess this means we'll have to be active the rest of our lives :heehee: (probably a very good thing). Glad you're over that infection--it's no ggod being sick when you're body has gone through so much trauma over the past few months--enough already! Hooray for going to see the grandkids. I'll be curious to see how it goes with the scanner as well. You're doing great!

Hi @AJinNH
Sorry to read you suffered through a miserable illness. I'm glad you're feeling better.
Your recovery seems to be progressing nicely. You're on your way!
I'll bet it's exciting to be planning travel. You'll have to share afterward.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Hi AJ.....glad to hear you've got over the illness and you're back on track with hip recovery....one thing at a time is quite enough! And aren't we learning a lot about how our bodies work?....reckon any one of us could go on Mastermind and win :heehee: Hope you have a comfortable flight and a lovely time with your grandchildren :yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back