THR No weight bearing at 3 weeks

susanbaci

Country
United States United States
My left total hip replacement was done on APRIL 20, posterior approach, and I’m on my 15th day today and I can’t weight bear without the help of my walker because of leg weakness and I’m putting terrible pressure on my wrists.

It’s becomming increasing unbearable to walk because of the discomfort to my wrists and now my fingers are numb. Don’t need any additional problems.

Is this a red flag something that something is horribly wrong with my device?

When I was in the hospital when I walked there were terrible sounds of popping and cracking every step but a few days after getting home that resolved.

Is it abnormal to not weight Bear fully on day 15? I’d fall if I didn’t have my walker.

My weight is good and I was active before surgery but had lots of osteophytes and bone spurs and cysts due to bone on bone and I was told there was a lot to clean up.

So my question is am I the only one not fully weight bearing at this point ? I can stand without assistance but not walk.

Should I up my meds at this stage?

Taking a few Tylenol every 6 hours

Appreciate any thoughts as I’m very discouraged at this point.

Susan
Hugs to all hipsters!!!!

Hi and :welome: to BoneSmart and recovery! Congratulations on the new hip.
I'm sorry you're struggling. Using the walker can put a strain on your wrists. Also, still using / needing a walker a 15 days post op is pretty much the norm. I think a call to the office of your OS to speak with a member of his care team may do you wonders. They will know the questions to ask to determine whether you're under medicated. Please give them a call. In the meantime, check out the Recovery Article below. It contains lots of useful information. Please stop by often, we'd love to encourage you and offer support as you're healing.
Hope today is peaceful!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi Susan! I am new to this forum and others on here with more experience will respond to your post soon. I can only speak from my personal experience. I had wrist discomfort and hand numbness from bearing weight on my hands with crutches and walkers. Do lots of wrist circles to help with that. You didn’t say you’re having hip pain, so that is a good sign that there is nothing horribly wrong with your device. Also a good sign that the terrible sounds have resolved and you’re only taking Tylenol. All I can say is to listen to your body and if something causes pain, cut back on that activity and give it more time. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns. I’m currently 4 months post op and still having balance issues. I graduated from walker to crutches to one crutch before I was assistance free at 12 weeks. Discouragement is normal and I think you will be encouraged by others here. I think you’re doing great!

2 replies so far and it brings tears to my eyes. That’s how much encouragement I need.

I’m so grateful to this site.

The organizers should be so proud with how beneficial, informative and supportive it is to those in need of useful information.

God bless to all those who contribute!!!

And may everyone have a successful outcome!!!!

@susanbaci It sounds like you may be under medicated. Did your surgeon prescribe any pain medication?

Are you icing and elevating that op leg? Hang in there - it does get better!

The beauty of all of this is my scar looks great. I have so little swelling. At 15 days my knee bends well. And I have no groin pain. Besides the non weight bearing which is important for increasing my walking without too much discomfort, I have very little other complaints.

Still to no avail, when I walk with the rollator, walking a little distance, the opposite wrist comes down so hard on the rotation of steps on the operative leg. It points to it being very weak.

I admit I’m horrible with meds. Most make my stomach feel sick. I take close to 850 MG st 9:30 when I do my walk and exercise routine, 650 mg at 3:30 pm and 325 MG at 9:30. I cut the 50 MG of Tramadol because I hate the way it makes me feel and I don’t see much change with or without it and my OS who does more anterior approach than what I had, posterior approach, is not keen on adding another narcotic at this stage because he says most of his patients are weaning off at this stage.

This morning I noticed for the first time I could walk inside my apt with just a cane for short steps. So that’s progress.

It’s such a new development that I’m in the process of exploring that.

Hopefully I’ll be able to increase that and it will help alleviate the distress to my wrists.

I’m on Coumadin so I prefer not to use anti-inflammatories at this time.

I had very little external swelling also but that Ice helps lots of things...including pain.
Lots of deep healing happening.
The correct pain medication can keep you more mobile.
Have you done any cruising...like using kitchen counters or back of the sofa...so you can walk without walker some?
These are the tough times...we are rooting for you:yay:

Maybe try a light brace on your wrists for some extra support while using the walker? I think you can get them at CVS and Walgreen's.

@susanbaci
I found transitioning to the cane to be a two week long process and still have a few issues so dont get discouraged.
About your meds, I find taking my meds an hour BEFORE I have to do anything to be key. Takes that long in me to get full benefit. So watch when you take them. I'm just on Tylenol at this point and an Aleve every am. But I take it upon rising and ice in bed for an hour before I actually get up and moving for the day. Made a big difference for me over the cane transition period.
Best of luck to you - you'll get there!

Oh and in answer to you question about bearing full weight
Not until about a week 1/2 ago or between week 4-5. - just now in past week starting to take steps around in the house only with no cane.
In the am I still NEED the cane can't bear full weight until I've been up and around awhile
Hour or so after I take my meds
As I become a bit more active during day and take my Tylenol/Aleve I can move around easier and step around the kitchen a little for instance, on my own no cane.
I am also fairly fit and overweight. Just had a lot going on with my hip

Thanks for your response. It helps to hear others timeline so you don’t think you’re way behind.

Bearing in mind that we all heal at different stages, it’s encouraging to see others progress similarly so you don’t jump to conclusions that there’s a complication.

This process is stressful enough!!:bored::bored::bored:

Very true, please don't compare recoveries.
I hope your evening is peaceful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Jojojo1
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom