Chair Recommendations

Dreamer2

Country
United States United States
Hi,
I am new to this forum as I am currently looking at a THR asap. Of course, I have many considerations to make. One thing is furniture. Currently, our furniture is of the soft-seated variety and I want to replace a piece with a helpful comfortable recliner of some sort. I have checked the Internet, but haven't come up with any real tips or recommendations. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

@Dreamer2,
You will notice I have moved your thread to the Hip Pre op forums, you will receive more answers to your questions and concerns here. Many members who have had THR check the pre op forums and will be able to advise.

comfortable recliner

We have a thread regarding recliners.
Recliner chairs: things you need to know if buying one for your recovery.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

I bought an office waiting room chair at Costco. Is has arms, is very sturdy, and the proper height.

aimages_costco_static_com_ImageDelivery_imageService_e17c09ef7b532adc2ea028504681449f._.jpg

One of the easiest to sit in was the cheapo plastic patio chair with arms. and I put a cushion on it. It worked great to sit at the table with and the arms make it easy to get up from. I bought an Ashley power recliner which was cheap and simple and comfortable.

Hi @Dreamer2 welcome to the forum. As I had 6mths to wait from booking in to operation I was able to spend a lot of time looking around at various chairs. We eventually bought a 'young' secondhand La-z-boy lift recliner. Partly because it was wider than most of the non-lift ones but also so that I wouldn't strain my shoulders (rotator cuff probs)getting up. The lift feature was useful for a couple of days.....but to be honest I could have managed without it as the seat was quite high. I use the leg-up thing quite a lot....I find it a relief if I've been standing/walking a lot, and my husband has back and knee issues so we'll be keeping it for him to use too. So for us it's going to be in use over the next few years probably (not to mention visits from elderly relatives) and justifies the expense, but if it's something you will only want for a few weeks you might be better borrowing/hiring one or getting something more basic. If you use a cushion to get extra height in a chair try to test it first....I found what felt firm to a finger dig disappeared to nothing with my weight on it :whistle:

I had a lift recliner, which was handy to a certain degree... although it was so slow it quickly became more of a pain than a help I think.

I think that if/when my other hip goes I will seriously consider going to pick up one of the zero gravity lawn recliners... they are easy to maneuver with one leg, and comfortable to lounge in, and don't cost a lot.

One of the pre-op and-post op PT exercises was lifting yourself out of a chair by pushing down on the arms to raise yourself up, do 10 reps. Good to practice before surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom