THR Layla's Recovery

Definitely tying shoe. And sitting on low chairs, and getting up to standing from sitting- definitely won't miss locking up after a car journey and having to stand cramped up for a few minutes til the cramping passed. Even on a bad day I'm sure life after hip is going to be better than before.

Actually, for me it's sitting cross-legged and some peculiar yoga positions such as the one where you look like an embryo (can't recall what the proper term is). Long distance running, swimming and cycling is nothing new - I did that on a bad hip pre-op for a long time (until the pain was excruciating). This was a mystery to my GP. May you all enjoy your newly regained activities, the spring and the summer. Best from Constanze

Thank you for your kind words @ajr1949 it's much appreciated.
BoneSmart is a wonderful vehicle that connects us all through our shared experience
of THR. I've made friends here and continue to experience the pleasure of communicating with lovely people in different areas of the world such as yourself and gilleycat11 in the U.K. and Constanze in Germany. I consider it a blessing! Again, thank you for your well wishes. My mom is moving right along, not skipping a beat. I hope you're doing well and I wish you a wonderful week!

It's so nice to hear from you @Constanze
I believe you're right, I've read running is acceptable after hip replacement. It is wonderful THR made it possible for you to continue something you have such a love and passion for. Obviously you do it well!
I'm happy to hear you're doing better. While you're still not feeling 100%, I do hope you get there soon.
My mom is doing well, as am I. I appreciate your interest. It's sweet and kind.
Wow...Summer in Germany. That's interesting! We still have traces of snow on the ground but sunshine and 60's
forecast for the week. I think Spring has sprung, lol. A great week to you!

Yes! @gilleycat Life after THR is better than before! I haven't tried tying shoes yet. Pretty much wearing all slip on's these days. I even walk in slip on's. The Sketchers Go Walks are great. I'm sure I can tie shoes though because I can do a pedi. Not like I could 5 yrs ago (before the effects of OA) BUT I can do it.
I can relate to that getting out of the car biz. It was so difficult I had to manually lift my leg then slowly lower it. I still maintain it was the most painful action I experienced on a daily basis before THR. Now I just get out and move, none of that "settling in" for a few seconds as I used to refer to it. It's like a miracle.
Hope you have a lovely week!

@EmEm
How wonderful! Traveling to France and navigating steps you know you couldn't have a year prior.
THR is like a re-birth. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Surely puts into perspective all the little things we once took for granted before the pain and physical limitations of OA set in. We're blessed to have this second chance.
Hope you're doing well and I wish you a beautiful week!

Looks like you are doing good Layla. That’s great , I too am now a slip on fan. I can tie one lace so halfway there lol. Take care.

Never really was a fan of slip ons. Even just after my op I'd fasten my laces and pull my shoes on like slip ons. Now I just bend down and fasten them! Life changing op!

Good morning, Layla.
Hope all is well with you and that you will be having some good getting out weather for the weekend.
Thinking we will be getting dad home today...??...Walmart donation pickups tomorrow so Sunday will have to be my day.
Hoping to talk BIL into taking me out on the ocean as think my hips can handle the waves now...
Hope you have a lovely weekend:SUNsmile:

Good Morning, my bud.
Thank you for the lovely well wishes.
I'm very happy to hear your dad will be discharged. Wonderful news!
I hope they finally have things figured out.....

The weather forecast for the weekend is looking good. Sunny and 60's and 70's which I love.
You're lucky to live so close to an ocean. I wish you well on your maiden voyage :heehee:
Hope you have fun if you make it out.
Hugs to you!

Hey, Layla! How is my mom doing lately? Have YOU recovered from her recovery?

I hope you have a peaceful weekend!

Hahaha!:heehee: Recovered from her recovery......no kidding!
She's well on her way, has a mind of her own.....unstoppable, like you!
Still think she could be your mother :shrug:
Thanks for asking....hope you have a great weekend, Sara.
@SaraK

Sadly, I've read of a lot of trials today that some of our dear BoneSmart friends are suffering.
My heart goes out to all who are in pain and in the midst of setbacks. I pray for all of our virtual friends
who are struggling and afraid, some unsure of their immediate future. I ask those who've yet to suffer
any hardships to please do the same. I believe in the power of prayer.

Now for some levity....I received a phone call yesterday from the Surgery Center where my THR took place.
A nurse was informing me that I left my clothes there when I checked out the morning after my surgery. Next month will be ONE YEAR since my surgery! We both laughed. She asked if her call was the first I received from them. I replied it was! I then exclaimed "that's where my brand new bra is!" (well, it's a year old now) we laughed again. I told her I didn't have a clue as to what else she was holding in that bag :shrug: but over the past 11 months I've searched high and low for the (not cheap and brand new) bra. I've looked in the corners of fitted sheets, behind the washer and dryer, plowed through my drawers and closet, accused my husband of losing it somehow the few times he did laundry while I was out of commission. And here it was waiting patiently in the bag with who knows what else :shrug: at the surgery center. While I have no idea what I wore to the surgery center in my anxiety I'll soon find out. My husband wasn't amused. He said "they should have mailed it to you by now," I told him it was his fault, I was drugged and he was in charge of me and my new bra. I gave the guy one job...think he could handle it? :rotfl:

Last edited:
At least that's better than him taking the bra home and leaving you. That probably would have resulted in a quicker call from the surgery center. :heehee:

With my second child, they moved me from triage unit to a room to OR to a different room. Somehow, they lost my clothes (which I'd planned on wearing home) along the line. They found the overnight case about a week later. Luckily, I had an airline address tag on it.

Hahaha! Yes! I went the day after they called me. I figured they held my stuff long enough :heehee:

I had my surgery at the end of June. When I picked up the bag I was anxious to look inside and find the bra and see what I wore to the surgery center. I couldn't remember and didn't miss either the pair of jeans or flannel shirt I threw on that morning. I do recall it was a sunny Summer day....but a flannel shirt? :shrug:
I had a laugh and recalled I was anxious, fearful and mentally preoccupied. If there was a thought process, I probably figured it didn't matter what I wore since I'd be in that dreadful hospital gown within the hour anyway.

Hope you're having a nice day! @BeBe

Happy Mother's Day, Layla.
Your nurturing nature on the forum is motherly to many.
I'm hoping you have a great day.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom