THR hipster333 is in recovery<

Think you are splendid for two months.
It is amazing they can REPLACE our hip and insert that stem into our femer...and we can function...however slowly, in two months...if you think about it.
Relax and rest up for the new week.
Rooting for you!

Aw thanks @Mojo333. I guess we always have to remember how far we’ve come. Hope your dad and niece in law are going better and you were able to relax this weekend. @TinyMom I’ll be sure to rest and ice. :) @AgilityDog Monday was a holiday here for the schools so I was off (probably did more than I should have since I did Costco and three other stores. Ugg) I’ll be sure to let you all know how my longer day goes tomorrow. @AgilityDog how’s the infection clearing up? @TinyMom how are you feeling?

:wave:Hi there @hipster333
I hope your day goes well!
Let us know how it played out once you're all settled in with your :ice:tonight.
Take it s-l-o-w. Everyone will be patient and understanding.
Best of luck yo you!

Ah sitting on :ice:with little heat on the upper back after a lovely crock pot meal. Overall a good day @Layla and @BeBe. @AgilityDog I made sure to take it slow today and didn't sit or stand or walk for any length of time, but did a mixture of all three with a few stretches here and there and some :ice:when no one was watching :heehee:. @TinyMom I'm much more tired than I was on the shorter days, but I think the pain is getting better. Especially helped that I had a massage booked for after work and she worked on all of the tighter areas. I did 15 min on the stationary bike before going to work and I think that helped to loosen everything up. It is just pouring rain here so I guess my evening walk is out. Probably a better idea to take it easy after the first full day back--unfortunately I don't have a weekend to recuperate for a few more days. @MammaT how are you finding being back at work? @Debluca any easier this week? Hope everyone has a great night. I will be sitting here icing and resting. I know I will :sleep:well tonight.

@hipster333 - sounds like you had a good plan in place to tackle your longer work day today. Glad to hear your pain is not as bad, even if you are a little tired (to be expected)! Hope you have a relaxing rest of your evening and a good night’s sleep! :) :-) (::sleep:

Oh GOOD @hipster333 . We went to Costco last night, but didn't see you there. It is helpful to hold onto the cart, but Costco can be kinda scary. Stop. Start. Don't run over anyone. People don't even notice the cane. But you sure want it if you are surrounded by a crowd.

@hipster333 . I forgot about the update on the suture abcess. The floor of the 'hole' seems to be healing up. The floor of the hole is rising up as it heals. Still taking my antibiotics. I wasn't concerned about falling until after the suture abcess. I do feel silly.

You sound like you are managing well.
I too was wiped out after work when I went back. That energy drain is in full force.
Sounds like you are taking all of this in consideration...just don't overdo the activity once you finally get home and assume the position!:ice:

We went to Costco last night, but didn't see you there. It is helpful to hold onto the cart, but Costco can be kinda scary. Stop. Start. Don't run over anyone. People don't even notice the cane.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have alot more compassion for cane users I see in the stores and streets now. As I am crossing in a parking lot to the entrance of a store, cars don't like to wait patiently as we cross slowly and seem to "push" you faster by creeping closely to you as you walk! :shrug: I have had it happen in crosswalks too.

@TinyMom the plan to go to 5 hrs per day seems to be working. :yes!:The biggest problem for ODIC @Mojo333 is that since I'm back at work the kids and my dad seem to feel that I should be working in the house full time too. :gaah:Hubby has been really good about telling me to take it easy and offering to carry things around for me. The most frustrating one is my dad :hairpulling:. He's home all day by himself (by his choice since he's anti-social) and doesn't like his schedule to be messed up or I pay for it. Even when I was off I would play a few games of cards with him later in the afternoon just to keep him company. Since I'm done at 2:15 on my longest days I was doing this prior to surgery as well. Now when I get home all I want to do is go to bed and ice until I have to throw supper together. I still try to get a game in for him, but it's driving me a bit crazy. It's probably all in my head as my daughterly duty since my mom passed away 4 yrs ago and I do worry about him. He had his hip replaced 13 yrs ago and I don't think he remembers what it was like right after. This plus my kids have after school activities and hubby isn't always able to pick them up and is leaving on the 16th to go overseas for 3 weeks. OK enough complaining. I'm very happy to be healing, even if I am still limping. Working very hard to get rid of the limp--still using the cane a lot. @AgilityDog sorry I missed you at Costco--I would take yours any day over mine--I hear those pineapple slices are yummy. :heehee: Hawaii is on our radar for vacation in 2020 so hopefully I'll be able to try them for myself. --maybe I'll take my cane along just in case I get surrounded. :loll:Glad the antibiotics are working and everything is clearing up. @Mireille it is so sweet of you to check on me when you have so much going on with you right now. I pray your appt goes well today and we can get you healing soon!
Hope everyone is having a good day!

I know it must be difficult @hipster333 but you may need to refresh dad's memory on THR recovery.
It sounds like you're still requiring a measure of rest and recovery after each days work. To be expected.
It's not your fault that your dad chooses to be anti-social. I'm sorry you feel that extra bit of pressure to keep him happy or entertained. Taking him in is very loving and extremely generous but also a large commitment in itself. Not to mention a shift from the normal family dynamic.

Personally, I give you credit. I can't imagine going through recovery with three young kids and all the demands involved, getting them ready and off to school, getting yourself ready and off to work then coming back home and feeling pressure to show your dad some love amongst any household duties you're engaging in. Cleaning, tidying up, laundry, meal prep, chauffeuring kids. You have a lot on your plate and you need to take care of YOU in all of this or you'll be no good for anyone else.

Consider a family meeting explaining that you need help, cooperation and a little space to rest as you are still recovering from a major surgery. Especially in light of the fact your husband will soon be away for three weeks. I'm concerned about you getting what you need as you recover. Hoping that all falls into place for you soon.

Wishing you a peaceful, relaxing weekend!

I agree with Layla, time for a family meeting. When dad was living with us I made sure he had some "chores" to do while we were all at work outside the home, even if light ones due to his age. I think it made him feel more useful too. Have the kids pick from a list of things you put on paper of what help you need. We women caregivers give till it hurts and then nobody wins. Wishing you a restful weekend too!:sleeep:

Maybe have the kids each take a day to bond with/play games with Grandpa - could be beneficial to all

oh my gosh @Layla you gave me an extra kid. :heehee: Two is enough for me and they' are pretty independent. I think I do need to get them involved in more of the housework. I shouldn't complain too much. They each wash dishes twice a week and clean their own bathrooms. Plus a few extra chores around the house. My daughter even made "dinner" (fancy mashed potatoes) for us on Saturday (I threw together a meatloaf to go with it, but she did a great job and I know she put a lot of work into it--mashed potatoes with bacon, cheddar, and chives--very yummy and not healthy at all:rotfl:) and she made a chocolate lasagna for dessert on Easter day. For a kid who doesn't help me do the cooking, she's got skills! @Bumblebee I agree that I need to get dad doing more. The only problem is the stuff he wants to do (like help pick the kids up from school) I'm not comfortable with him doing (his driving skills are scaring me these days) and the stuff I need help with he doesn't want to do. :gaah:I'll see if I can find something in there for him to do. He is going to need another hip replacement sooner rather than later (although he says he's not getting another one)--so is limited in bending, etc. I told him he will be getting another hip replacement before that one gives out if he still wants to live with us because our house is not wheelchair friendly. @Layla there's another stubborn parent for you!!
@SaraK I wish the kids would take over some of the entertaining of my dad, but they are 14 and 12 and although they love him and vice versa, none of them wants to spend time with the other. I think it's the ages.:chinstroke:

Tell the kids it's temporary but give them a choice of Tuesday or Thursday and not a choice of yes or no. It's all in what answers are available (although I have been known to add an alternative or two from time to time when given an a or b option - does that surprise anyone?:rotfl:). You never know how it will go in a month or so - they may not ask to be let out of this "chore."

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom