MUA 5 week failure<

So my appt with the The OS went as normal...Robin you need to be working harder. My new therapist went as expected. He massaged my quad muscle for a few minutes and than wanted me to do exercises. He never pushed me but I went there specifically for the massage. I sent an email this morning letting him know I need massage not more exercises and if I can’t get that at his location I will keep looking. He emailed me back that my dr referral stated I need massage and exercise to increase flexibility so that’s what he did. I asked that he call me later when he has time.
I feel like people just don’t listen when you tell them he you feel. My muscles are so tight and sore it’s hard to get them to bend like I want them to. Does anyone know if massage envy has experience working with knee patients?

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin, go to PT for the massage, but tell your therapist "My knee isn't ready for the exercises today. I feel they will counteract the improvement I feel after the massage. Maybe another day?"
And then, walk out and go home.
You don't have to submit to any therapy you feel is not in the best interests of you or your knee.

I agree with Celle and I don't think Massage Envy would be the right place for you this soon after surgery. You do need someone with professional medical therapy training and you won't get that at a massage parlor.

Robin, I spent some time looking for a massage therapist. I didn’t know how to search properly and got way too many results. Try searching for “medical massage”. I even found someone who had “orthopedic massage” in her title. There is a search service called Thumbtack and I was able to input a description of what exactly I wanted (post-surgery massage for fluid buildup and muscle tightness) and I received 4 results. You may have to have a few telephone conversations after your initial searching to make sure you have the right therapist, but they are surely out there for you. I found both PTs who did massage and licensed massage therapists. Of course my PT doesn’t do massage so this is out of pocket for me, but I had a great productive session today.

Thank you @CdnCarol for the tip. I appreciate it! I will check it out. I am glad you had a good treatment. Enjoy your day :)

My health plan has "complementary" medicine office where they have massage therapists who are used to working on people with TKRs and other health issues. I have to pay out of pocket but they are fairly reasonable. I went after each of my TKRs and though I don't think it helped me gain ROM, it did help relax the muscles.

What a lovely idea. I’m going to check and if mine offers something similar. Or I pay out of pocket once I’m driving again.

Wow my talk to the therapist worked. Today was all massage. The only exercise type thing we did was me laying on my tummy and bending my knee. We did this so I could tell him where the pain was. During this I got a 90 degree bend which I wasn’t close to in this position so it was great. Wednesday we will massage again and see how it feels. He said my hamstring and my quad are super tight so we are working on those. Thanks @funkymuse for the referral. I am so lucky they had a place here in AZ :)

i am so happy for you. it will keep getting better. continue with patience.:flwrysmile:

Fantastic on finding a good therapist! That 90* bend is great! Go, girl!

Well I hit 6 months TKR and 3 months MUA and ughhhhh
I can bend to 90, no further, my knee is still sore but I am getting closer to walking normal. PT is pushing my bend more then massage so I have given up paying for what he wants instead of what I need. Still feeling frustrated as I wonder if it will ever bend more. Been rubbing Apple Cidar Vinegar on my knee, vericose vein, bakers cyst on opposite foot and ankles and my knee feels less heavy, the bakers cyst is going down, and my ankles less painful :) Gonna keep trying that and see what happens. Drinking it would be better I am told but I just can’t yet, the smell is horrible. I have been doing it for a week and already seeing and feeling results so I will keep it up :)

There are lots of claims for the wonderful things that apple cider vinegar does. I think they're mostly unfounded, but at least it will do no harm.

If you feel it's helping , carry on using it. It could be the massage that's helping, too.

Don't despair about your ROM. Taking a break from PT could help, especially as your therapist has been pushing on your knee. We never recommend that.
Time is still on your side, as ROM can continue to improve for much longer yet.

Stop measuring your ROM. I found that just getting on with life really helped and suddenly discovered that my knee was bent well under my chair as I sat at my desk. I don't remember how many months that took but that didn't matter. It really helped when I stopped obsessing about it.
I was so thrilled after my MUA when I got my foot flat on the ground when seated that I stopped thinking in terms of degrees of bend.

You know the saying about how a watched pot never boils? Well, a watched ROM never seems to improve enough. It really does help to stop thinking about it too much and focus more on just... doing things. At this point you can take a nice daily walk, or go to an aquacise class, or run an errand each day. Find ways to enjoy your new knee and, when resting, elevate and ice often. Self-massage is a good therapy (I do this). If you have a willing partner, they can massage your knee also and that's quite nice. Do both so the other doesn't get jealous. :wink:

Hi Robin, I'm at 7 months and I'm not much past the 90 degree mark but I decided it was not going to stop me! Loaded up my camper this weekend by myself and went to a State Park. I had to lie down on the ground to get the lights hooked up It was the getting back up that was a sight!!! I'm back to yard work this week, I just stop when I get tired and take a break. I have not heard about the Apple Cider Vinegar. My great aunt always had a cup of tea, (ACV 1-2 teaspoons) at night with honey and water. She was the healthiest person. Would probably still be alive but had fatal injuries from a car accident Thinking about you!

Last edited:
I’m five weeks out tomorrow with TKR of my left knee. Let me tell you, the crying hit me like a ton of bricks, no one prepared me for it. Now to ROM, I did no PT for two weeks, until my 63 staples were removed, just the heel slide and walking at home, plus tightening my thigh muscles. I’ve since had a few PT sessions and while I’m frustrated with my inability to straighten my leg completely, and only having about 90 degree bend my surgeon says I’m doing well. My most effective “exercise” is letting my leg dangle over the edge of my bed when I sit on it and let gravity do its job (the bed is on risers). Our knees have been sawed and chiseled out of our bodies and fake ones glued or pinned in, it’s going to take time. Best wishes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back