Revision THR Swelling problem

What a time you are coping with, I do so hope with this coming up revision your problems will start to disappear, lots of luck and shall look forward to hearing your next newsx

Sorry for the set back @ChefClay, especially after the initial promising start. You seem to have a very positive attitude given the circumstances. Getting a go forward plan on the 16th will be good, I always do better with a plan.

Mojo333, thank you x

MammaT, thank you x

clodaghcov, I need some positive answers now x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please try not to despair. There is hope after revision. Check out @zinnia thread. And she is slightly older than you.
It isn't fair that this had happened...life is SO unfair sometimes.
Just want that thing out of you before it causes you more issues.
I know you are tough but this is alot for anyone.

Hello @ChefClay, @Mojo333 is being kind; I am a little more than slightly older but it matters not given each our own experience with hip replacement surgery. But, my gracious, mine was/is bad enough but not nearly as dreadful as yours has become for you. I could not be more sorry for your situation. Your frustration must be pretty tough at this point. I can't even imagine.

When my first revision began to fail about a year after that surgery, I was diagnosed with hip bursitis because the pain was so intense and generated from the same spot you indicate. But it wasn't. The "hip bursitis" got worse instead of better and the pain increased, my mobility began to fail (I had not yet begun to walk unassisted!) until I finally was back on a walker. Finally a second opinion gave me an immediate appointment for a second revision because an Xray showed me about ready to lose the acetabular cup, resulting in another dislocation.

I tell you this because this revision is proving to be successful except I seem to have developed what may be a small hematoma, the size of a thumb nail within the last few days. Nothing like your problem which is obviously, I assume, due to the femoral stem. I don't understand a two stage surgery to correct this problem. I can only guess it is to correct or investigate the large mass that is causing you so much pain and loss of mobility. And then to remove and replace the femoral stem. But that's just an un-educated guess.

What a trauma! I have to exclaim for you because I wouldn't wish this on a living soul and I am so sorry you are going through it. But. . .but you sound so strong and patient. Are you really? Men can be so stoic. I am married to one. Do you have support? Well you do have it here in addition and all of us have been through our own traumas and we are ready to assist you in any way we can to remain positive. This is the beginning of your recovery, right here at Bone Smart. I certainly want to continue to follow your path. It will not, obviously, be an easy one. But as long as there is something positive happening there will be progress. Take good care; remain insistent in seeking knowledge about your situation. You've done such a good job in that. We do have to be our own advocates.

We shall wait for more news of you. In the meantime, I do so wish you well. Stay in touch!

@ChefClay it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page where it says "write your reply" and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course - like I sometimes do! Then do it like this How to quote a post.

You will notice I have taken the liberty of edited the quotes out and merging the three posts together.

Thanks for understanding! :)

Having just reread your thread, I have to apologise that I seem to be lecturing you on the use of the forum. Please don't take this too much to heart. Lots of new members find it difficult to navigate at first.

In the meantime, do you have a date for your surgery yet?

Josephine, no problem, advice welcome.

No date for op yet, spoke to Consultant’s secretary a few days back - on 16/3 he wants to discuss surgery options

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zinnia, thank you for your comments and support.
Not entirely sure about the options, they are to be discussed on 16/3 by Consultant.

With regard to support, fortunately my wife has been there for me at all times. Unfortunately she suffers from health problems that have resulted in seven operations over the last six years. We are therefore supporting each other, depending on who’s turn it is! Lol

Glad to hear that your revision op was successful, has the haematoma started to fade?

Paul x

@ChefClay You and your wife have been, continue to go through very difficult times. You are both weary of it all, I am sure. That you support one another is a definite plus.

I am hoping your trials come to an end with the meeting with your consultant on the 16th. That a plan for your recovery is made available to you. Please know that we here at BS will support you every step of the way.

Best regards to your wife and the same to you as you move on. Wishing you the best as we wait here to hear your news on the 16th.

Thank you so much xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update - TH review in July 2018 as First Hip was causing Cobalt Poising.
Readings were over double safe level and I was told the only way to stop it was to have the Hip replaced
Op successful in that the Cobalt level reduced to safe amount, but large swelling still remains over Hip Site, has been there now over two years and causes massive discomfort.
Surgeon says that they have tried to resolve it now on three occasions, but it is something which I will need to live with! Suggests Pain Clinic!!

I am sorry you are dealing with this. Apparently it is not rare. If anyone has a titanium prothesis, it is mixed with Cobalt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard this about titanium before. I know some of the earlier prosthetics contained nickel and were recalled due to serious health risks. I thought the titanium (which I have as of August 3, 2018) was the safe answer to that?!?! Do people who have issues with titanium typically struggle from the start, or does it build up?

Hi @ChefClay
If I'm understanding, you had a Revision surgery of your right hip in July 2018. We'll add the date to your signature. I'm sorry you are still dealing with the swelling. Let's see what @Josephine has to offer on your update. I've tagged her so please check back in case she has questions for you. I hope the pain clinic can help you deal with the discomfort you're suffering until the swelling issue resolves.
Wishing you comfort.

Generally titanium is safe and stable in the body. Metal on Metal hips were a problem as friction between the two surfaces released cobalt ions into the surrounding tissues, metal on metal hips are no longer used.

Thanks @pumpkin--that was my understanding as well--that it was the metal on metal, as well as nickel allergies, and not specifically the titanium. Most of the newer systems use a variety of materials, but until longitudinal studies are done, it's hard to know.

Metal on metal hips are supposed to be examined every three months to make sure there is no absorbing of the metals. With blood tests to make sure of no toxicity.

Thanks, Mudhen! I read the word titanium and instantly worried it meant the newer combo models as well;) I've done additional research and my implant appears very safe. :flwrysmile:

Just an update regarding my condition.
Unfortunately the large swelling on and around the two Op sites is still there, slightly larger than my open hand and still uncomfortable.
It is tender and causes me constant mild pain across to my upper groin area.
I am still waiting for a referral regarding the Pain Clinic.
As there has been no further contact now since the 6 week post-op review,
I just have to contend with the large swelling and moderate pain.
Sadly this is now affecting my normal gait and it has hindered the progress of the second hip replacement.
Extremely disappointed with the persons concerned, feel let down when I needed their help and advice the most.
I cannot even get another appointment to see the relevant Surgeon(s) as the waiting list has increased dramatically -some reason to do with the hospital’s admin procedure.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom