Sickle cell anemia with a THR

gazorra

Country
Kuwait Kuwait
Hey guys ,
My name is Abdul , I am a 24 yrs old male and I have sickle cell anemia. Due to this condition, I am suffering from AVN in both hips and shoulders and knees.
Doctors told me that I need THR and shoulder replacements and knee replacements. I am planning to travel to the USA , Mayo Clinic and have my operations done there. I am doing my last semester in university and this is my graduating semester. I really don’t know how much time I am going to spend in the USA. Please if you have any advise, feel free to cheer me up. I am really suffering in my Daily routine.

Hi, Abdul. Welcome to BoneSmart. I'm so sorry to hear of your problems at such a young age, but if you can afford to come to the Mayo Clinic here in the US, you are a very lucky guy. It is excellent and they should be able to help you.

If you were to try and have both shoulders, both knees and both hips replaced before returning home, I can tell you that you would be here in the US for quite a while. Recovery from especially the knee replacements can be quite extensive and lengthy. I don't know what limits our government places on people coming here for medical procedures, so I recommend you carefully check all that out well in advance as there may be limits to any VISA you would obtain. You might also consider going to the UK. It is closer and it appears any VISA restrictions may be less than what America requires.

The most hopeful words I can offer you are that, if you are in a lot of joint pain now, you'll be so much better off once the bad joints are replaced. All those surgeries have excellent results and it should make your life much improved.

Hey again,
Thanks for the replies. I am really glad that I found thos forum where people can support each other and shate their experiences.
About the stay in the USA, I am blessed that I have a VISA till 2024 and that should cover my needs in the USA. What I am really worried that the university wouldnt allow me to stay for more than 2 months. I hope that I can get both hips replaced at the same time. Plus I am hoping that the would be a stem cell treatment for early stages of avn such as my knees and right shoulder.

Last edited:
Hello Abdul. You will be in excellent hands at Mayo. And the necrotic tissue will be removed and you will regain use of your joints and relief from pain. It will be a challenge to get to that point but you will get there. Stay as positive as you can.

I've dealt with a number of joint replacement patients who had Sickle cell. Nasty condition but I don't ever recall it causing issues during surgery or recovery.

Is your condition fairly quiet or do you have flare-ups?

I also took the liberty of moving your thread into the hip forum as I think it will get more attention there.

Hi Abdul - I'm in the wrong country to advise you but just wanted to wish you success with your ops. To have problems with so many joints must be very daunting.....will you have any family or friends with you when you have the ops? We all do better with support, so don't forget that there is lots of that on this forum, and people are only too pleased to offer advice and cheer you on :yes:

@gazorra I am so sorry that sounds terrible! please hang around here and get good advice. mine is only that there must be relief at some point you just have to keep marching towards that point. good luck to you.

Welcome to BoneSmart!
I wish you luck on your journey.
Hopefully you soon find the answers you're seeking.
You will find support here for sure so feel free to stop by often.
A great week to you!
@gazorra

The Mayo clinic and new hips sounds like a great plan. The best to you on your journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back