THR Layla's Recovery

Horseshoe,
I can't thank you enough for your post. It means so much to me. Not only that you can relate but took the time to describe in such perfect detail all you recall.

I felt alone in some of the honest feelings I've shared here. I like your view point in looking at it as "self protecting" rather than being a control freak, begrudgingly relinquishing control. Part of me wishes they were required to videotape all while you're unconscious. If nothing else for accountability purposes. I'm sure I'd never watch but I may allow a loved one if they were interested or willing.

You are braver than me in requesting to remain awake for as long as possible. I'm not sure if you derived comfort in doing so? Witnessing a number of people conversing off to the side, as just another day at the office, without concern for a patient lying alone and most likely anxious, seems a bit cold and inconsiderate to me. It makes me appreciate Josephine all the more as she described herself a self appointed hand holder.

I'll have to look up this Hana table many have referred to. I'm envisioning a medevial torture device, lol! My understanding is it's for anterior approach? I had posterior approach so I never had the pleasure.

Like you, I didn't like the thought of a bunch of fully clothed males and females looking at my pantiless leg jostled back and forth, up and down, or whatever they do. I understand it's just routine for them but it was my first surgery.

In the end.....any reservations I had prior to surgery as well as the emotional tears shed shortly thereafter are worth the freedom of currently living pain free!

Thanks again @Horseshoe
Wishing you a great week!

Thank you for your kind words Layla! Found a photo of the Hana table, it's rather narrow in person:

aimg.medicalexpo.com_images_me_photo_mg_91205_8582011.jpg

I can certainly understand why you felt alone with this. I had asked around including GP, nurses and found that it's a touchy subject. That alone feeling gets compounded when no one will be straight with you either. To me, transparency eliminates the mystery which eases the nerves.

A few years ago I had a minor hand surgery where the surgeon was an absolute dream. He was thrilled that I was interested in his work, let me stay awake and talked me through the entire surgery, it was very interesting! There was a tent so I couldn't see the action and it was calming to listen to the drs and nurses chit chat about favorite vacation spots. It was a very positive experience all around.

I had asked OS if it could be filmed (no) or if he'd take a photo of the femur head (no). I wanted to see what osteoarthritis looked like. With a raised eyebrow, he said it was the first time a patient had asked him :snork:

Think teaching hospitals are set up with viewing areas and have cameras. There was a recent member here from the UK whose surgeon gave him a CD of the filmed surgery!

Maybe someday Josephine will write a post for the library and detail *everything* that goes on when the lights go out for patients in the OR.

One last thought, had OS been as forthcoming and open as the hand surgeon, don't think I would have wanted as much information and will bear this in mind for the future :)

Last edited:
It’s major surgery but at no time was I treated without respect. In the OR they to do what they have to do to get the job done and at the same time be cautious of infection. All the people in the OR and there may have been up to eight were there for your health and well-being. Watching out for you.

@Horseshoe
Thanks again!
The experience of your hand surgery sounds wonderful, aside from any pain you suffered.
I like the transparency you described / experienced. To me, it should be like that across the board.

Funny you mention a photograph. I thought the same but didn't ask.
My thoughts were, it's a part of my body that has failed me and out of curiosity I'd like to see what it looked like. You'd think these surgeries, amongst all other surgeries, would require photographic (or video) evidence for several reasons.
While I was in recovery my mom told me the PA met with my family members in the waiting room mentioning my surgery was overdue...she said his words were "it was bad!" I'm curious about "bad"....I want to see my femoral head (said as she stomps her foot) lol! It would have been interesting! Probably gross too, haha!
PS Me not likey the Hanna table :yikes: Yikes!
Thanks for all, Horseshoe....you're a sweetheart :loveshwr:

Hi,
Just a quick update for whoever may catch it and recall I've whined a few times about
some residual knee swelling post op.
Well....it's still there at nearly 6 months out.
Just visited the office of my OS this week where my knee was x-rayed. Conclusion: arthritis.
Naturally I questioned if it was severe or if she envisioned replacement anytime soon. Her response was,
"Maybe, in 30 years!" In relaying to sweet hubby his response was "Oh that's good cuz you'll
be dead by then!" WHACK! The smack heard around the world, lol!
Let me go with that people, let me live in my fantasy bubble. I don't want to hear, "Oh, that's what I was told and within two years...Bam, new knee!" My ears are plugged and I'm making that noise, like a little kid when they don't want to hear something. So save it :heehee:

Naturally I questioned WHY it only manifested post surgery. She didn't really have an answer other than it happens sometimes. I find it odd and am still questioning it :what: I'm in no pain and it isn't visible to others unless I continue to needle them on where I notice it. They most likely finally say they see it to shut me up! PA told me both knees are affected but the integrity of the knee is good? She volunteered she could give me a shot. No thank you, it doesn't hurt.

I guess I'll try icing at night while lying on the sofa on BS. I'm still hoping it will just slowly go away.
Fingers crossed :fingersx:

Last edited:
Love it, Layla! There seem to be so many other things they can do for knees now so even if you start having problems, it doesn't necessarily mean TKR. So much has been said by others that their gait or posture is different post op - esp if there was a LLD before or after - wonder if it's just that new muscles/tendons are doing the work now and still learning.

How is it your husband hasn't learned by now to either not make a statement like that or to duck more quickly?

Hahaha! @SaraK
He thinks he can get by with it because I robbed the cradle :chuckmarch: or he got himself a Cougar, however you choose to look at it. He's a pup @53 so I just put up with his shenanigans. Actually his sense of humor was one of the first things that attracted me.....oh so many years ago, achy old arthritic woman :bawl:

Oh @Layla I am so sorry. Did you tag and ask Josphine?? I think it's common my knees never hurt before these sugries and ya know what they will STAY like that lol.

Your hubby is funny and younger but mine scoops my samples :loll:

Bahahaha! I feel like I told my hubby about this :horseriding: before when you were
going through it and we'd kid about it on your thread at night and he said....
NO WAY I'd EVER do that. That's what mom's are for...call her!!!
Tom the Saint.....he's a keeper :angel:
@MyAussieGirl

He colors my roots too with the brush my friend who owns a Spa in Montreal sent me. A saint no but mayyybe a keeper. I am bummed on your knee...others too....Gotta run special church tonight for lighting Nativity.... BTW haven't said it in a while but you're a keeper too friend...go ice

@Layla

Hope those knees quit bothering you soon. You are such a positive soul...:angel:

He does your root touch up?!! @MyAussieGirl
Does he cook, vacuum and dust? Cuz if he does...I'm coming to steal him, hahaha!
Don't you worry about my knees, I'm just fine. I want you to concentrate on your tummy issues.
With two new hips and no more hip pain you can't have that holding you back.
I hope you have a great Saturday.....Church day, yay!

Sorry to hear the knee is still an issue @Layla . Do you suppose it could have been there before but you just didn’t notice it because of all the pain in your hip? Having the hip pain often means you can’t move that leg as well and maybe it sort of masked the knee issue. That’s just a thought. I’m glad they did the X-ray of your knee but not crazy about the diagnosis. Knees seem much harder to recover from than hips so you don’t want to think about that any time soon! As for hubby, that sounds like a man to say the wrong thing :heehee: I assume this was your 6 month check and everything else was fine. You are doing a fantastic job as an advisor and you are always there for everyone with lots of support.

Also, I do agree that @MyAussieGirl hubby sounds like a keeper. Only a few more months now until the snow melts and he will be taking her to the beach every day :yes!:

There are so many types of arthritis and possibly yours is not the OA kind that affects the cartilage breaking down to bits. I hope it goes away for you and continues to cause no pain. It's hard to believe that almost 6 months have gone by for both you and I. I vividly remember last Christmas season hobbling around in pain trying to be festive and get some shopping etc.. done. What a difference this year. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Hi Cheryl,
I love hearing from you! I sure hope you're feeling better. I know you mentioned you turned a corner
and were easing back into work. Hope hubby isn't sick for long.

I am surprised it's been almost 6 months for us too. I recall in the very early days of recovery, wondering about how I'd be doing at Christmas time. Well it's here and I'm thankful, most certainly can't complain. Last year, like you, I was miserable and hobbling around in pain. I was still struggling with "when" to have surgery and honestly I never imagined I'd undergo replacement 6 mo later. I knew it was in my future, I just couldn't pull the trigger!
Well......we did it!! We're still healing but this Christmas will be so sweet!

Thank you for your caring reassuring words. You've always been a comforter. I've enjoyed getting to know you over the past six months. Having fun at Aussie Girls Playground too.

I'm really not concerned about my knees because the PA didn't seem concerned, nor see any replacement in the foreseeable future. Neither knee hurts, nor poses limitations. We can only live in the "here and now" since we're not promised tomorrow anyway. The here and now is good, so I'm good.....hope you are too!
Sending a hug and wishes for a great weekend!
@cpollock

Hi Layla, you have a great attitude! Sorry to hear about the knees however it's good to discover the reason for the swelling. Recently discovered that two new knees might be in my future too. Noticed I was getting knock kneed prior to thrs and thought they'd straighten out afterwards but they haven't. OS took an xray and said they were fine with good joint space yet Josephine detected early signs of OA :bawl: . With her vast experience I believe she is correct plus they were straight before the hips went south. I didn't realize OA might affect all my joints, perhaps it was a consequence of the bad hips :what:

On the bright side there is no knee pain! I hope you're not experiencing any pain either. As it's early stages I may look into stem cell rejuvenation, supps, etc. Will deal with it when the time comes though, at least I got a warning this time! Wonder whether these knees are causing uneven wear on new hips though :scratch:

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks