THR THR June 12th: Return to work tips

A moderator will add your photo to your avatar for you.

Stair climbing can take awhile for some, everyone is different.
To wake up your quad show your PT this video, they can help you learn to do the Church Pew exercise to facilitate your quad. Caution: if you do it as long as the video says to, you will be very very sore. I know this from personal experience. Start very slowly.

Thanks pumpkin! I truly appreciate it!

Thanks to All! I figured out how to add my signature photo. I'm an amateur birder but I really enjoy it and we have quite a variety of birds in NE Ohio! My favorite to date is barn owls. We had them last summer but sadly, they didn't nest here this summer.

Have any of you experienced this?
I had shingles adjacent to my wound after my second TKR. Many years before that I had a rip-roaring dose on that same leg from mid-foot to mid-thigh. I was off work for 3½ months! Happily the more recent one only took half that time to abate.
Shingles likes to hit people when they are medically 'down'.
In other words, it tends to flare up when one's immune system is down - like just after you've had major surgery!

@birder I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

@pumpkin Hi Pumpkin! Could you assist me in changing the title of my post to: THR June 12th: Return to work tips.
Hello All: So very thankful I found this site. Post- op THR 9 weeks and it has been an interesting journey. So grateful for the kindness and support I've found here. Next challenge: returning to work August 28th! I'm fortunate to have a job where I'm not on my feet very much and I have my own office so I can move around and stretch. I'm trying to figure out how I can take a power nap at lunch time. I don't have a reclining office chair. Suggestions?

@birder I changed your thread title for you.

Good idea about a power nap at lunch time. Will you have a car at work? Find a shady spot and sleep there for a bit.

Thanks Jaycey! I will have a car so that's a possibility. I really think I'm going to need a nap for a few weeks!

I really think I'm going to need a nap for a few weeks!
Yup - then old energy drain. You need to factor in the energy you will spend just getting up and getting yourself to work. Plan on doing nothing extra before or after work in the first weeks. Grab rest time when you can. It's all doable but can be a challenge at first.

@birder LOLOL when the kids were little, my husband used to close his office door and stretch out partly under the desk....I can't see a hippie being too comfy on the floor though. I get some of my best naps leaned over a table or desk, elbows propped up on a hill of books or whatever, hands round the back of my neck. I used also to sleep really well for 10-20 minutes just sitting in a straight chair after lunch. Those were the days.....

@zauberflöte Hope you are coming along well postoperative! Thanks for your reply. Trying to stay positive about returning to work. I know that I'm going to need that power nap both mentally and physically. The energy drain is real and even mental stress
Seems to effect me more at present. Planning return to work strategies! Take care and rest and heal.

I haven't posted anything in over a week. I'm coming up on 11 weeks post-op. I remember being at 3 to 4 weeks and so much looking forward to making progress and just the passing of time and healing! This past 11 weeks has been difficult but also a blessing. It's been the first summer in many years that I haven't worked and have had some time to slow down and just enjoy being at home and a more relaxed pace. Had a few goals such as reading at least one book before I went back to work, completing a small project around the house... working on both. I did binge watch a couple of shows on Netflix which I enjoyed. My sister insisted I watch Grace & Frankie the first couple weeks after surgery. It was quirky but very funny. I really enjoyed watching Parenthood. I have to say this forum has been very supportive and reading the various posts I have a sense of a lot of kind, caring individuals and funny too! Thanks to all of you! You've made my early recovery much more tolerable.

Hi birder, I am now at just over 11 weeks post op and still have quad weakness, especially when walking up even a mild incline. I am hoping that once I start riding again that posting will be very good for this. Truthfully I am much more bothered by tightness in my quads, and hip flexor, than by weakness, though. Everything still feels "hard" to the touch, and still swollen on the outside of my upper thigh. But its getting better. Hang in there! Time is the master, and patience the lesson, for all of us!

Thanks Jaycey for your encouragement. I figure it will take a couple of weeks to adapt to the schedule and pace. Trying to figure out how to bring some ice packs to work in case I need them - I'm going to try my insulated lunch bag.

I'm sorry if I'm not replying correctly to your posts but doesn't appear to be a way to reply to each separately.

Hi Gwenc. Yes, I've been dealing with the left quad weakness also but it is slowly improving. PT has helped but I've been hesitant to push myself too hard and cause additional muscle/soft tissue problems. My PT said it may take several more months to be able to go up steps normally. I'm going to buy a Reebok aerobic stepper - that's one of the exercises they have me doing and it is helping. I also use the tube type resistance bands but don't overdo. I also still have some swelling and it will take time to resolve - we had some serious trauma during surgery. Take care you will be riding again soon!

That bad hip pain being gone makes these other issues seem so much easier to address don't you think?
So glad you are feeling well. I have been feeling so melancholy for the days I did not have to go back to work, even though I didn't realize then how nice that was...I was feeling very anxious to get back to normal life. Try to enjoy and rest up till you go!!!
:bath:

How are you doing, @birder ? Let me know if you get the stepper and how you like it!
By the by, was out at Sister's pond yesterday and watched beautiful osprey fishing.
Powerful diving beautiful amazing ...
Hope you have great day

@Mojo333 Hello. I'm hoping to get the stepper this week. I'm working on strengthening so that hopefully within a couple more months I can climb steps the "normal" way. The ospreys sound beautiful! Many of the birds around here will begin migrating soon. We are in a flyway area for Canadian Geese and waiting to see them and hear their familiar honking soon. Have a wonderful Labor Day! Take care. Rita

Hi @birder
I hope that your first days back to work went well. Did you find a way to sneak a nap in?
You're a couple weeks ahead of me and I'm doing well so I'm sure you're progressing nicely at this point.
A great week to you and happy bird watching!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom