Contemplating Left THR

MERMAIDMEL

Country
United States United States
I'm having trouble convincing myself it's time to go ahead with it. Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all. Back in March when the OS mentioned hip replacement, I pretty much just freaked out and said it's not that bad. He said that eventually it would come to that. There wasn't much else that would help and to let him know if I changed my mind.

It seems like it has progressed quite a bit since then. Dull ache at night that wakes me up. If I sleep on my back I'm ok. I can walk on the treadmill at the gym for an hour and a half and it doesn't bother me, yet I can walk across the parking lot at the grocery store and have to use the shopping cart to lean on while I'm shopping.

I sit and watch TV and have to keep repositioning the way I'm sitting to stay comfortable. I can go for walks and sometimes I'm fine but I won't go a lot of the time, because what if I get a distance from home and it starts hurting and I have to limp the way back.

The pain is not unbearable. Sometimes it just feels like it's going to give out. I've probably been having symptoms for awhile, but just told myself I'm getting old and letting myself get out of shape. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm just a hypochondriac.

Hi there @MERMAIDMEL
My hip didn't constantly bother me either. I could sit certain ways and forget I even had a problem. Walking became a pain and limping gradually became constant. Sleep began to be disrupted. Getting in and out of my vehicle was one of the worst daily discomforts for me.

Everyone's OA progresses differently, some peoples joints are severely damaged and they suffer little pain. Others aren't as damaged and they are constantly miserable.

You get to a point where you are feeling far worse than better most of the time. Then it's a matter of how long you can put up with it. Let your orthopedic surgeon's diagnosis and your x rays be your guide. They don't lie. When the time is right.......you'll know.

Wishing you well on your journey......whichever way it takes you.

Your post could be mine word for word.
But that was 2 years ago.
If your OS says you need a,replacement then you likely do.
My pain went from manageable to intolerable over 3/4 months.
Consider getting it done.
Best wishes.
Joe....

I can go for walks and sometimes I'm fine but I won't go a lot of the time, because what if I get a distance from home and it starts hurting and I have to limp the way back. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm just a hypochondriac.
Well you're no hypochondriac, I can tell you that for certain! You will find, as more and more members visit your thread, that this kind of story is very, very common.
But as Joe said, once you get it done, about 3-4 months later, you also will be proclaiming "why ever did I wait so long"!

Oops wasn't done..... some ways. You will know when enough is enough and it's time to go ahead and have the replacement done. I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I requested my report from the OS. It says mild McCarthy sign. What does that mean?

This is what it said from xrays

Joint spaces appear slightly narrowed more on the left than on the right.
There are some subtle osteoarthritic secondary bone changes.
I can see supraacetabular cyst, one is rather large on the left side.
On the Dunn view, there is a mild lack of normal femoral head/neck offset, but no large CAM lesions.
There is some subtle dysplasia and center-edge angle measures around 27 degrees.

MRI with arthrogram of the left hip was reviewed as well as the radiology report.
This shows some significant osteoarthritic changes with large subchondral cyst at the supra-acetabular region.
Some chondral thinning, although not complete.
There was no femoral head edema.
There is labral degeneration and a hypertrophic labrum consistent with what is typically seen with degenerative tearing related to a DDH.

I don't mean to bore you with all of this, but if anyone has enough knowledge to explain this a little more to me a would really appreciate it. It's all really confusing to me.

@MERMAIDMEL In my experience the longer you wait the longer and more complicated the recovery. Hips can go from tolerable to horrid very quickly. I waited 3 years for my LTHR. When the hip finally collapsed I had no choice. That pain was something you just don't want to experience. My recovery took over 12 months.

Fast forward and when my right hip started to complain I ran to the OS. Had the surgery a few months later and that recovery was totally different. A matter of weeks.

@Josephine is our medical expert and can probably put your OS report into plain English for you. But the bottom line is you need that hip replace. Why wait? Get it done and get on with living life again.

Jaycey thanks for your input. I think one of the main reasons that I am having trouble making up my mind that I need to do this now is that it took me many office visits to get this diagnosis.

The original OS that I saw said labral tear. I then went to another OS and he said bursitis and wanted me to get cortisone shots.

I was scared of that so I waited awhile and went back for the other hip and saw a different PA was told labral tear again. I finally went to get the shot and saw a PA that specializes in labral tears. He took more xrays and said a shot probably wouldn't help much and I had arthritis and dysplasia and would need a hip replacement.

I wasn't able to accept that at the time. I didn't think the pain was that bad. So, now I'm just saying to myself, what if this diagnosis isn't right?

I'm so confused. If I just felt for certain that ultimately I need a hip replacement, I might be able to take that plunge.

mild McCarthy sign
For the McCarthy test, both hips have to be in a flexed position. The affected hip needs to be brought into extension. If this movement reproduces a painful click, the patient is suffering from a labral tear.
Joint spaces appear slightly narrowed more on the left than on the right.
I'm assuming this is referring to both hips? When there is loss joint space, this means the articular cartilage is wearing thin. Ergo: arthritis.
There are some subtle osteoarthritic secondary bone changes.
Which this statement confirms
I can see supraacetabular cyst, one is rather large on the left side.
Quite often the process of arthritis causes bony cysts to develop. Generally these are not a problem unless they get above a certain size when the surgeon will simply pack them with bone graft.
On the Dunn view, there is a mild lack of normal femoral head/neck offset, but no large CAM lesions.
Dunn view is a radiographic term: As originally described (sometimes called the 90° Dunn view), it is an anteroposterior view of the hip with the patient supine and with the hips and knees flexed at 90°, the legs abducted 15°-20° from the midline, and the femur in neutral rotation.
There is some subtle dysplasia and center-edge angle measures around 27 degrees.
Dysplasia is congenital condition where the femoral head and the acetabulum don't grow together as they should. In which case both will be abnormal.

normal hip-horz.jpg

Hope this all helps. Feel free to ask any questions. That's what we are here for.
And we only have one rule: there is no such thing as a 'silly' question!

@MERMAIDMEL ..

I can relate to where you are now in that I have days where my hip doesn't bother me at all. Then, I have days where the pain is so intense that walking can be a challenge. I have no limp and I sleep though the night.

I too was told about labral tears and bursitis. And, I received cortisone injections for the bursitis which only worked once. I also saw 5 different doctors before a correct diagnosis was made via X-ray and MRI. Suffice it to say, my hip is a train wreck! For me personally, the bursitis is the most painful, but the increasing groin pain is no walk in the park either (no pun intended I promise). Unfortunately, the THR will not help the bursitis at all and may even aggravate it further, but it will help with the groin pain.

There are so many mitigating circumstances involved in the timing of when I have the surgery. I have a father who is quite ill and lives far away, etc. as well as double-checking my choice per the type of THR procedure and the doctor.

For me, and perhaps for you, it can be a completely agonizing thought/decision process. I am exceptionally independent and rely on public transport to get around, so the thought of not even being able to walk two blocks for 2-3 months is devastating!!! At the same time; however, it is something that I must get done sooner rather than later so that I can be there for my father.

I can only say that I do agree with others that it is better to get the THR done before so much damage has set in that it hampers your long-term recovery.

You will know when the time is right and I completely understand your trepidation!! It is something that I continue to struggle with.

I know that whatever your decision, you will find great support on this forum:loll:

Can you get a second opinion from a surgeon who is not in any way connected to your current surgeon? That might ease you mind about the diagnosis.

I made an appointment today to have another consultation with my OS on August 28th. When I first saw him in March, I was not ready to consider hip replacement surgery. What helped me get to this point was hearing others say that the longer you wait, the more deterioration in your joint and the longer and more difficult the recovery would be.

I'm realizing that maybe all of the difficulties I've had in the last couple years, that I have wrote off to getting older, being out of shape or just becoming clutzy, might be partially related to my hip problem. I like that!

I hope you get answers. I had bilateral at the ripe old age of 53..but there ceased to be any days where my hips didn't bother me and sleep became impossible.
Almost 4 months out, I am living my life again.
Recovery is no walk in the park either.
Hope after your OS can give you some answers as I did not have the bursitis to deal with , I don't think.
Hope today is a good day

@MERMAIDMEL
My story sounds the same. After my GP said it was my back and that I was definitely not a candidate for hip because i am 47. I went to Neuro surgeon who said it's your hip. I was in terrible pain limping bad. I thought ok I'll go see OS and he will give me a shot. No he said hip replacement. I cried I was so scared but I want this fixed. Had my first RTHR 4/7/17. And had LTHR 7/28/17. My left was not as bad pain wise and I went back and forth with finally having it done and so soon after first. I am so happy it's done. I'm on my way to getting my life back.

Like @Mojo333 i got to the point where pain was my constant companion. There were no more good days. My life was very small, depressing. Surgery has given back my life.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I have been worried that the pain wasn't bad enough to actually go through with having my hip replaced. Well my hip has been horribly painful since I got up this morning. Guess this will help my decision. I just hope everyday won't be as bad as today. I can't think of anything that I did different this weekend to cause this.

Does anyone else get bad stomach pain in their lower intestine when the pain kicks in? Sometimes I'm not completely sure if it's my hip or my gut.

Are you using any walking aid? A cane or crutch will help you keep the weight off that sore hip. Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Don't know if the two are related but I started getting alot of digestive issues not sure if because less mobile before I had surgery.
After the post op stuff cleared up so did the issues...could be coincidence or could be all that pain tightening everything up and binding things up?????
Sorry you are hurting.
Definitely no fun being there

@MERMAIDMEL ...

Sorry to hear that your pain has increased since this morning. I personally began using a cane a few months ago. I don't need it at home, but it really helps when I am out and about as I walk a lot to get from point A to point B.

The digestive issues.. last year I began having intense lower groin pain on the bad hip side. My PCP though it was acute diverticulitis when the whole time it was my hip. Not that this would necessarily be confused with digestive issues, but the intense groin pain did make me wonder if it was digestive issue.

My groin pain has increased to the point (in a very short period of time I might add) where it often feels like I am being stabbed in the groin.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom