THR New hip, new beginning.

Hi @PS46
Glad to hear your check went well too. I've started driving again, nice to get some freedom back! I do find I'm quite stiff and uncomfortable when I get out of the car but guess all par for the course. I was wondering when I should remove all the gadgets around my house, chair risers etc?

I live near Ashton Court, so about 15 mins from Clifton. Love Clifton!
Best wishes
Jenny

Hi @Minnie15

Jenny, I didn't have any restrictions as such, basically I was just told to be sensible

It's good to be driving again and, yes I was a bit stiff when getting out of the car, but nothing too drastic. I have an automatic car and it was my left hip this time (02/05), which made it a lot easier. I drove to a ukulele practice on my own this afternoon and survived both!

Yes, I am sure it is 100% par for the course. I am still carrying a cushion around just in case, but it's more for comfort than anything else. The surgeon didn't insist, or anything like that ... The raised toilet seat has gone now (deep joy) and that's about it. I am walking quite a bit and doing exercises, but nothing on the PT front which puts too much strain on joints. Does that sound familiar?

I grew up around Blackpool and love piers. We get our pier/sea fix at Clevedon, where we visit on a regular basis, too

Keep up the good work!
Peter

Hi @GrannyC
Good to hear from you and glad all is week. I read your six week check and you're doing amazingly, well done! 7 weeks has actually gone pretty quickly when I look back now.
I sometimes feel my hip 'clunks' do you ever get that? I can feel it you can't actually hear it. I'm trying to think of something I can relate it to but I can't think of anything! Sure it's just one of those niggly things and will right itself!

My son finishes school for the summer hols on July 21st, so a few weeks ahead yet but yes I'm looking forward to spending time with him and we're trying to book a holiday somewhere.

How's the weather with you? It's been glorious here! We never know how long it will last in England though!

Best wishes and keep in recovery touch!

You probably won't believe it but I've actually been thinking of you lately and thinking to myself that I may never have posted after you wrote this last message. And now I can see that I never did. I'm so sorry!

It's interesting to hear of the dates for your school year there. Here in the US the dates vary from one state to another. Here in New York, for example, the kids in public school get out around the 3rd week in June and return the first week in September. I have grandsons in the state of Colorado and their public schools dismiss for the summer around the 3rd week in May and return about 3rd week in August. The days they have off from school for various holidays and teacher works days varies, too, even from one school to another in the same state. I would assume it gets pretty warm in the UK in July which could make it hard to stay in school until the 21st but I'm sure they have their reasons.

We have had lots and lots and lots of rain since early May and have even set some new rain total records. However the past week has been mostly sunny which is a very welcome change.

I haven't felt any "klunks" in my hip so far but I've read of others with it or something similar so I think it is pretty normal. To answer your questions from your post in my thread, my incision area is very well healed and not botherson at all. There are a couple small slightly tender areas around the incision but I can only feel them if I push on my upper leg. I do find that if I lay on my good side, I sometimes feel a slight achy feeling in my operated leg but if I put a pillow in front of my and allow my operated leg to lay on that, the achy feeling goes away. I'm sure all that is part of the healing process.

Ok - I've babbled on far too long. I'm so glad to know you are doing well. You will get through the tough times you've had recently by staying strong for yourself and for your son. You can make it through it all. Take care and have a fantastic rest of the summer and keep in recovery touch !!

Good evening all. Hope everyone is doing well? @GrannyC thanks for your messsge. My son broke up from school on Friday for 6 weeks. I'm still off work so nice to spend some quality time with him. How's things with you? Hope you're improving well.

How's things in Cheltenham @PS46 ?
Clevedon is lovely, not quite Blackpool though haha.

So 12 weeks post op and wanted to share my current hip niggles and any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

For the past couple of weeks my leg is really achy and sore when I lift it up, say getting in the car or going up steps. The area of pain is right at the top of my thigh and then I get a pulling or tugging feeling at the outer side of my thigh by my scar. I feel like my mobility is getting worse not better and I'm back to taking pain killers. My physio says I'm doing extremely well and it's just my hip flexor that's still weak so she's given me some strengthening exercises which hurt! She also mentioned that I'm being impatient and they see this all the time.
So this is all normal, right?

On top of that my knee is really achy. I had a minuscule tear repaired about 6 years ago and I think it's happened again, either that or it's referred pain from the hip. I know any OS wouldn't look at my knee until much further down the hip recovery route.

Feel rather deflated.

she's given me some strengthening exercises which hurt!
I would suggest you stop these exercises and just walk. Your pain is from this strengthening routine that PT has you doing. It is all unnecessary! Walking is the best exercise for a new hip and not to excess. Ice and elevate after a walk.

And easy does it with that knee. You need to get one area healed before addressing another.

Ok thanks @Jaycey
Is it normal to be aching so much at 12 weeks? I know everyone is different.

Yes Minnie.
I was achey for a lot longer that 12 weeks.
Its totally normal and if you ease up a bit you'll find the aches will improve.
You are seriously doing great.
Remember This ?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

My surgery was May 1...and I still have super sore thighs when I've been on my legs too much..some groin pain and some back pain sometimes..
Some pain I believe from overdoing and some from bad gait and posture that now I can actually stand up straight and walk correctly...things are having to readjust, stretch out, etc.
We are doing well...except for the patience part maybe.
Hang in there:umm:

Last edited by a moderator:
@Mojo333
Thanks for sharing that with me. Much as I don't mean to say 'I'm glad you're still sore' but it's good to hear you're in a similar position! My surgery was April 27th.

Lots of people ask me 'am I over doing it' and to be honest I think to myself 'what exactly is over doing it, at 12 weeks?' how do you know? Apart from the obvious..aching/soreness I guess.
When you're on your own looking after a 9 year old who is actually very well behaved and a dog who is also very well behaved, it's still always full on and very easy to over do it!

Hope you continue to improve!
Best wishes

Same. I'm not doing anything too super crazy but not sitting with ice for long periods and taking it super easy either.
I know my hips were in super bad shape for several years as they were manifesting as back problems that were misdiagnosed...I just keep reminding myself I had a bone sawed off, and a new ball joint put in. And that BIG old rod stuck down in my femer, and alot of muscles out of shape etc...
Six months I'd say we won't be feeling that so much...and we do need to take time to do nothing on days we've been up doing alot.
Mine doesn't start bothering me until I stop...
At least now I can mostly sleep. Even if it's worth the help of some Tylenol or a few stashed pain pills left over.

I'm back to work..10-4 so it isn't too long I don't think...but alot of walking.
Like I said, when I sit still it starts acting so I tend to get up as no real comfortable chairs.
We are gonna get there. Hope you have a good week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Minnie15 I'm sorry you are having some issues but I agree with all that everyone has said. My OS told me the same thing that Josephine did and that is that we don't need PT for our hips to heal. I pretty much followed that advice. I did go for a few PT sessions but I didn't push it and didn't do anything that hurt and I didn't do any of the exercises at home. I think that is the reason I really never got many aches and pains these last few months. I do get a little stiff after sitting for a few minutes and my doctor said that is still because my hip is healing. I also am still working on going up stairs normally rather than one at a time. I do practice that 4 or 5 days each week and I think it may be helping but very, very slow improvement.

Having said all of this, we are all different and our recoveries can vary a lot so we need to find what works best for us and like @Mojo333 said, be patient which is much easier said than done. It is good to see you again and please keep us posted on how this is going. Hopefully you can enjoy the rest of the summer with your son.

@GrannyC
Good to hear from you!
I think the exercises post op were so drummed in to me from everyone I saw, that I've continued with all of it still and have probably been doing way too much and have been aggravating it. It makes sense.

I'm going on holiday on Sunday, for the week, going to Guernsey in the Channel Islands so plenty of opportunity to rest and just enjoy walking and being looked after!

Hi @Minnie15 - good to hear from you!

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about your hip. It sounds to me like you are doing really well and your knee problems are just the result of your gait being retrained and your muscles strengthening gradually to how they should be. I have had it myself. Twelve weeks is absolutely no time, so whatever the opposite of deflated is in this context, that is how you should feel! Don't forget it takes around a year to recover fully ...

Cheltenham is looking lovely, as it always does in the summer. We are so lucky to live in the SW. We are off to Clifton today to meet up with friends, which should be great, then ukulele rehearsal this evening. Busy day. I hope my voice can cope, although I am sure my fellow band members would be happy if it didn't ...

We also have Emily (grand daughter - 7) for some time over the school hols, so are planning activities for her. Makes me exhausted just thinking about them!

So, head up girl, you are doing well and do keep in touch
Peter

Is it normal to be aching so much at 12 weeks?
This aching has nothing to do with your op. It's all that exercise. If you are doing normal, everyday activities you don't need all that exercise. Rest, ice and elevate. I'll bet this eases with rest.

@Minnie15 I think your holiday sounds like perfect timing. It will give you a change and a chance to rest and relax and see if you feel a bit better after a week with no exercises other than some walking. I have a general idea of what they did to us during surgery although I haven't yet brought myself to watch a video. It has to take a very long time for all those tissues inside us to fully heal so even though we look perfectly normal on the outside, we are still healing on the inside.

Enjoy your holiday and keep us posted after your return. It's good to hear from you.

I wish you well . Hopefully I will be following in your footstep soon . I always find the waiting time is the worst .
Once the surgery is done ,it can only get better . I hope you have good physical support.So important.Accept all
the help offered to you .It,s a win win for both parties .

Happy healing

Hello my bone smart friends!
Week 17 post op. I thought I'd leave it a while before I updated you all with my progress.
Had a good holiday and have done no exercises other than walking for the past few weeks. I'm pleased to say I'm starting to notice significant progress and a lot less pain. Hooray! I feel great and very positive, that deflated statement turned to elated!

@GrannyC how you doing? Hope all is well with you. Isn't time going so fast now, I'm back to work on Sept 13th... can't say I'm looking forward to it quite enjoy being home but then also my Uni course starts in Sept, so my life is yet again going to change full circle.
& Peter @PS46 hows that ukulele? and your hip of course?! hope all is well in Cheltenham.
@margo have you had your op now? Yes the waiting game is tough!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562