THR 44yr old Male right hip replacement

OsamaKillr

Country
United States United States
Good Evening BoneSmart Group,
I'm a 44 year old male that just had a full left hip replacement due to severe arthritis damage and a shredded labrium. The first two weeks were the worst for me. No sleep, constant pain, etc. I'm now on week 3 and barely using my cane, but still have on and off bouts of horrible pain.

I'd like to ask any of you about certain stretches that have helped you more than others, or even possible exersises that have helped ease the lingering pain.

I know they installed a Biomet prosthetic hip with a ceramic head. Then glued me back together.

So any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated and I can honestly say I feel for everyone on here.

Thanks,
Brantley

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Brantley,

So sorry for your pain and difficulty! Not being able to sleep makes everything so much worse.

I hope that you have consulted with your doctor and let him or her know exactly what you've been going through. Do you feel like you're getting and taking enough appropriate medication? Are you trying to do too much? Are you icing, elevating and resting enough, i.e., nearly all the time. Week 3 is still early days. As a previously strong and active person, I've been almost shocked at just how much rest and attention my body needs. There's no "pushing through" pain, the way we do when training.

I'm no expert, but have found the continuing to use a cane, even now at 5 weeks out, helps to reduce my pain because it takes weight off my new hip when I walk. Whether you had an anterior or posterior procedure, there is significant trauma to the muscles, ligaments and tissues that will simple take time to heal. Not sure that stretching or contracting those necessarily abused muscles will help much.

For sure you'll soon hear back the more knowledgeable members here who can give you more specific feedback.

Sending you warm thoughts for rest and restoration!

Laura

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I suspect you are trying to do a bit too much too soon. You're still very early in your recovery. Frankly, hips don't need a lot of exercises...only walking and even that should be done moderately. You also may not be taking adequate pain medication. I'm going to tag our forum's Nurse Director, @Josephine to come chat with you. She may ask you some detailed questions so please answer as completely as you can so she can make accurate recommendations.

In the meantime, here are some basic recovery articles for you to read that will help you understand what to expect with your recovery:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi there.
I'm with Jamie on this.
At only 3wks out your muscles and tendons are still.very tender post op.
Please ensure that you are taking your meds as prescribed. There's absolutely no benefit to cutting them back yet.
With regard to exercise I would suggest just get out walking a little with the cane or crutch and concentrate on form rather than distance. Rest and Ice at tho point is just as important as exercise also.
Your doing grand so far.
Keep up the good work.
Joe.......

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom