Ankle My bad ankle

Funny how none of us seem to be too patient when it's our lives that are impacted! I'm the same way. Paula, I am happy to hear your pain is lessened. This whole thing is quite the challenge for you.

Yep, it is a challenge. Hopefully, this will give me more empathy for those that are facing difficulties.

When I edit the banner or thread title of a member, I am sent back to page one of the thread. Most recently with Jordon60's thread.

Patience is certainly the hardest part of any recovery. Hopefully in a few weeks you'll have most of this behind you. I just read your adventure with the ramp. Sounds more like it's a roller coaster ride than a ramp. I'm glad you were ok and able to make it back up. I me found that the more medical problems I have faced in my lifetime the more empathetic I have been able to be to others going through their own problems. It will make us all stronger in the end.

I pray so, Marian. This is a lot like a tkr, except I have no walking. It's a rollercoaster ride like a tkr. Some days I hardly know I have broken bones and other days, they make it well known! Today was a very good day up until a couple of hours ago, then the ache and pains started up. I'm trying to figure out the causes, but maybe there are none. Just unhappy bones, tendons, muscles and tissues! Patience Paula! No fun!

It's so good to see you're back on the forum and are started to be able to eat and gain a little strength!

@Josephine, is it true that an anti-inflammatory will slow down bone growth? Since my break I've been taking Diclofenac twice a day. Should I stop it?

Yes, it's one of the many unwelcome side effects of NSAIDs so do stop them. If you need a pain med, try Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day. Much more effective.

NSAIDs are used in Heterotopic ossification to depress bone growth (read the article!) and they are a very effective treatment.

Thank you, Jo. I was afraid I had read correctly. Stopping them will be rough on my over-stressed old knee, plus the rest of my body. What about natural herbs, vitamins, and minerals that are anti-inflammatories? Should I also stop those? It was 3 weeks yesterday that I injured myself and I've been taking the Diclofenac the whole time. I hope I haven't slowed my healing way down. Why didn't my OS tell me to stop it. It's right there on my record! He didn't tell me squat!

I ordered a bone growth aid from Amazon called: Natural Nutrition Works Rapid Bone Aid
I'm hoping this will help me at least catch up to where I should be!

Thank you again for your guidance! I feel like we're all family here and I'm not so alone! God bless you all!

#heterotopicossification

Paula, since three weeks after my second TKR, the only thing I've used to when I've been achy is a blend of Frankincense, Copaiba, and Idaho Blue Spruce essential oils. It's done well. I took it a couple times a day at first, and now I may take it a couple times a month at most.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

I have found that I have a new 'weather ankle' now. When storms come, it throbs. Otherwise, I'm feeling much better pain wise. I see my OS a week from today and hope this cast comes off so I can scratch really good and clean off all this peeling! My foot is gross! I doubt I'll be WB until a few more weeks, but getting into a boot will at least allow me to wash my foot and leg. Yuck!!

Oh, my dear good woman! what an ordeal you have been through! I wish we were neighbors as Hubs is a wizard at building and creating solutions to making things go easier. I so hope you will be WB again soon, NWB it is such a nuisance. I am so sorry you had this accident.

when I have been casted it does indeed throw off everything from hips, shoulders and back. I had 10 knee surgeries of misc forms before my TKR’s and some casted, some braced, some immobilizers. Being in an Immobilizers and flying on an airplane is a particularly interesting test of sanity. And wrist/forearm casts, too. Yuck. They smelled particulary nasty, and I was dumb and by adding cologne just made them smell like really nasty rags that had been sprayed with bad cologne!:eeeuw:

Anyway, my favorite choice of scratching tool I always used was a soft wooden or plastic long spoon or spatula. If wooden spoon, be sure to sand down the edges real smooth.. but the long narrow round end of those worked very nicely for the weird curves of lower leg. I had to be very, very gentle so not to hurt that tender thinning skin in the cast but it worked for me. Ahhhhhhhhh.

PS: I Like your Bike in your profile photo! I’m looking forward to getting mine dropped from the garage ceiling hangers and up on a trainer when I get the go-ahead.

Hope you can rest a bit easier soon- that first gentle wash after-cast will be soooooooo lovely! :roseshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom