THR Monika66 in recovery - doing great!

Monika66

Country
United States United States
I had been so afraid to have my LTHR, but I finally did it on 3/24/17. I am not taking any meds, I do still have my incision pain but its bearable as it is still healing. I am walking with one crutch and around the house no walking aids at all. I feel very good, and have been able to sleep very well. I saw my surgeon yesterday he said I look good and to come back in a few months. The only thing I found at times challenging are the 3 months of hip precautions. So far so good!

Well done. I'm a month behind you so it it's encouraging to hear your progress is on track.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Well done @Monika66 ! I remember how concerned you were pre-op. Look at you now on the other side!

Here are your recovery articles:

Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you all, I so appreciate your kind words and support

Great to hear your update. Sounds like you are doing really well. Each week gets better at this point I found!
Sam x

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi again, its 5 weeks post op I am suprised at my progress. I am walking around my house without any aids, no meds because I have very little pain. Maybe some muscles at time, and my wound is still tender. I am not wearing my TEDS socks anymore, and I am flying on Wednesday I got the ok from my surgeon. I feel grateful that things are going so well.

Great update Monika! Glad things have gone so smoothly for you.
Enjoy your trip,
Diane

@Monika66 this is so encouraging to hear! Well done.
I'm 5 days post op, hip doing ok just having few other problems but slowly getting there. x

Its hard to believe its been 11 weeks, things are much better. No drugs,no walking aids, and my scar is healing nicely. I do get some leg pains sometimes, I know this is a process. But so happy I had this surgery☺:SUNsmile:

Hi Monika66
Happy for you
I'm 9 weeks post op but I'm still using the cane when I asked my doctor about when I can walk without any walking aid he told me it depends on the muscle strength and differ from one to other ,but I need to ask you about when you leave it,
Is this happens gradually or suddenly
Thanks and hopping to you great life without any pain again

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hi @Nagwa - gradually and don't force it. You'll start to forget it and then realise you don't need it at all

It's always worth just carrying it for a while too, just to make people aware

Best wishes
Peter

Thanks Peter
But I think we all need these experience to be from the past
And this can not happened with the cane

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@Monika66 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title slightly. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Glad you are doing so well!

Hello Nagwa,

Congratulations on your hip replacement! It has been weeks that I have not had any walking aids, it was just a gradual progression, walker, crutches, crutch and then nothing. I think my age helped me alot ☺

Its hard to believe its almost 8 months since my LTHR (3/24/17). I am doing great, no pain at all, even the scar looks good. I still am careful about a few movements, Dr. told me to be careful for the first 12 months. But it is the best surgery ever, unfortunately my other hip is going to need to be replaced as well. I just hope it goes as well as my 1st surgery.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back