MUA Shelly's Recovery

mechellec

senior
Country
United States United States
Well as I'm nervous as heck tonight it feels like a positive thing to start my recovery thread. My RTKR surgery is tomorrow at 11:30. Hoping I'm feeling good enough and not too loopy from pain meds to post something positive tomorrow. Goodbye old knee! No more wreaking havoc on me!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Mechellec,
Looking forward to seeing your first post after your TKR.

Here is the post op reading so you can get a head start.

First is the reading

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

It is such a relief to have the surgery behind you!! Now the rehab . . .

Good luck! Don't over do it when they get you up for that first walk. I wasn't feeling any pain and walked with crutches and walked way to far. Paid the price later with extra swelling.

Good luck and we will see you on the other side!

All the best to you! Don't let PT hurt you!

Thanks so much for the well wishes. They worked because surgey went fine. Before hand the anesthesiologist asked me if I wanted spinal block or general and I chose spinal but evidently while in surgery they said it didn't work so I received a general as well. I am just so very sleepy. I got up to walk to bathroom and my legs and feet did fine but I was so dizzy and drugged I broke out in a sweat once i got in there. I guess PT comes tomorrow morning and the only walking I do is to the bathroom today and tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Good to hear from you. Take your meds on schedule so you aren't chasing the pain.

So glad to hear you're safely into recovery now. Sending all the healing thoughts your way!

I'm so glad you are now on this side of the surgery! It is very important to not let PT hurt you. Never let them touch your leg. You stay in total control of what's done to your knee. You are already doing PT by walking back and forth to the bathroom! That's wonderful that you are able to do that already!

Surgeon just came in this morning and said every part of my knee had some disease in it and very little cartilage left. It was good I did this. I actually needed to hear this because of all the people who said, "You're only 50, try to wait a couple of years." He was impressed with my range of motion already which is good. He said not to be alarmed if I can't bend it in a couple of days. The amount of drugs and the dizzy loopiness is ridiculous. I have pt at 11 and can then start process to go home. Can't wait to go home without all the hospital distractions. Thanks for the positive thoughts!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hope all went well and your managing ok today!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

All the best for an easy ride home and done good rest ahead!

You're right, the degree of loopiness is crazy! But for the first few weeks I just tried to embrace the loopiness in favor of pain management. Bu week 3-4 I didn't need as much pain medication and loopiness wasn't as bad. Holding a conversation with me the first few weeks was difficult!

The physical therapist here at the hospital was great. She was gentle and didn't push me too much. I was not impressed with the occupational therapist. I was worn out and she threw a pen on the floor and told me to pick it up. I almost said no. Then she wanted to see how I went in to the bathroom and sat down, etc and I had already done in at least six times. Then she got busy and I didn't have to again thank goodness.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties