Finger/Thumb Carpometacarpal (CMC) Joint Treatment?

This afternoon I saw not my own GP as he was running 40 minutes late, but another of the doctors in the practice. After taking one look at my thumb joint and then reading the letter the consultant had sent after seeing me last month, she immediately said she thought that a second opinion was called for. She's referring me to an apparently experienced and respected wrist and hand consultant in Leeds, but has no idea how long it will be until I get an appointment. Linda x

Well that's good @Coppernob . You really need to do that as a thumb fusion seems a big step. I have decided not to have the trapeziectomy yet. My thumb is not really painful most of the time and I am worried about making things worse. Let us know how you get on when you have your appointment.

Mary x

Sounds like progress @Coppernob ! Do keep us updated. Hope the wait isn't too long for you.

Still waiting for an appointment to see the guy at LGI. I have a GP appointment this week so am going to ask her to chase it up. Thanks for asking. How are you doing? Linda x

@Coppernob You have been waiting a long time now! Hope your GP can move things along a bit.
I'm fine thanks. My thumb is doing ok at present and my left knee which threatens to give out now and again is doing ok too. I know it will just get worse quickly at some point as it is just like the other one was but for now I am waiting and seeing what happens.
Let us know how you get on.
Mary x

@SuperSnapper. At last I have an appointment date for LGI - 22nd December! At least it's before Christmas. Linda x

@Coppernob Good news! But what a long wait you have had! How are you feeling about it now - are you in much pain? Let me know what's said when you have your appointment.

My thumb and knee remind me now and again that I am still going to have to deal with them eventually but a more pressing problem has come up. I have had a really clicky jaw for ages and the dentist has commented on it but three times in the last week it has partially dislocated when I yawned! It's quite:xmark:painful when it happens but I have managed to massage it back in ok . It's sore after but goes off in a bit. I am worried I might do it again.

I am pretty sure it's another OA joint going west but very annoying.

I might start a new thread!!!!!

Mary x

@ SuperSnapper. Ooo that sounds nasty. Are you going to get it looked at by anyone? I'm sure if you started a new thread there would be someone who could advise you!! Hope it settles down soon. Linda x

@Coppernob Just wondered how you got on with your appointment this week. Hope you have a lovely Christmas x Mary:santa hug:

Don't ask! Paul and I had sat at LGI hand clinic yesterday morning for an hour past my appointment time when a clerk came out and told me she was very sorry but there had been a clerical error. I couldn't see the consultant whose clinic was happening because my GP had addressed the referral letter to a different consultant and so I would have to see him. You can imagine my reaction! She rang the right man's secretary and I have an appointment to see him on 4th Jan.

How this error happened is beyond me. My appointment letter said I would be seeing a Mr T but the referral letter, which I saw, clearly began Dear Mr C. I didn't know the names of any of the consultants at the hand clinic so was completely unaware that I had been booked to see the wrong man. They'd better get it right next time or another complaint will be going in. I've already sent one about yesterday's fiasco.

Happy Christmas to you too. Linda x

@Coppernob Oh what an absolute pain in the bum that must have been after you had to wait so long! I can only guess how cross you are about it.

I hope you are not in too much pain with your hand.

Have a lovely Christmas.

Mary x

@SuperSnapper I finally saw the hand consultant in Leeds today. He was a lovely man and I immediately had confidence in what he was saying. So different from Mr Wray - chalk and cheese spring to mind. I have to have more surgery on my wrist and thumb, but fusion was only mentioned as a very last resort. He's going to do a ligament reconstruction to try and get the thumb back into the right place, using part of the ligament in my lower arm. I probably won't get a date for 3 or 4 months, but it's then only day surgery. I'll have to be in a pot for 6 weeks again, but if it does the trick it will be worth it. Linda x

Hats off to you for your determination on this @Coppernob ! Glad your appointment went well. Sounds like you have the expert you need to get this fixed. That's amazing that is will only be day case!

@Coppernob That is good news! I know you will have to wait but it's good to have confidence in the surgeon from the start.I didn't mind Mr Wray but he is a quick in and out type of doctor. I am glad this one is trying something other than fusion on your thumb. The plaster will be a pain but worth it for a good result on your hand.

Mine has been ok for a while so ignoring it! My other knee started playing up but it's settled again now - I am a putter offer :) I was about ready to go to the GP to ask for a referral for the knee but I've also had dreadful IBS flare ups since May but that's beginning to sort itself out after I had every blood test known to man and nothing showed up. I am staying away from doctors for a while.

Anyway let's hope that 2017 is a much better year thumb and joint wise for us all.

Mary x

For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to get hold of my surgeon's secretary to see if she could give me any firmer idea of when my surgery is likely to be. I finally managed to speak to her last Friday and the news was not good. She assured me I was on the list, but the waiting time is still 3-4 months so it will probably be June before anything happens. I'm really fed up about it as I hoped it would be sorted before then, plus my husband's away at a conference so I've no-one here to moan to! The only good thing is that it means we can book some time away, knowing that I won't suddenly be called for the surgery. Linda x

but the waiting time is still 3-4 months so it will probably be June before anything happens.
Good old NHS! So sorry you have to wait that long. Yes, do book some time away. Better than sitting around waiting.

Glad you have finally got some idea of a date but it is a long wait these days. I have a friend who has a really bad knee with night pain and he's developing a permanent limp but his GP says he has to wait until he can't walk or is in really bad pain before she will refer him to a surgeon!

At last I have an appointment date for LGI
Hi @Coppernob - I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your surgery, and that you manage to get away for a little break before then.

Off topic I know, but I did my nursing training at the LGI. I bet it's changed a lot since my day!
The old part of the hospital was quite spooky when you were on night duty and had its own ghost, the Grey Lady. I never saw her, but then I don't think I really believe in ghosts.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics