Bilateral THR 5 weeks pain kinda the same as before surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDennison

Country
United States United States
Well, the title pretty much tells it.

After surgery I had tons of muscle pain. I had bi-lateral Anterior THRs.

After the thigh pain went, the hips feel much like they did prior to the surgery.

Part of me thinks, "what ? did the surgery not fix the problem"?

I mean I feel like the inside of my hips hurt, but thats not possible since the hips aren't there, so what the hell is happening here????

Thanks,

T

Not sure if I get notifications with this site or not....If I ignore you its not on purpose....

T. I wonder. I too have similar ideas- "isn't this the same ache? Didn't they tell me that this was going away?" I am seeing my surgeon tomorrow in fact. Mine was only left hip, but I will let you know what I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

TDennison,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
You are still very very early in this yearlong or more recovery, though you should start feeling better around 3 months.
Hard to pinpoint why you are having the same pain as before surgery. Wondering if you may be doing too much, and your hips are letting you know.
Hips only need the normal walking you do around the house, and as you heal in the community. If you are doing more than walking, suggest you take a break, and let your hips heal.

Please post your surgery date, a moderator will add the date to your signature so we can better advise you.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Surgery date December 22 2017 3pm.

Left Hospital December 24th Morning. No restrictions at all, and no PT at all.

I am generally only walking, some very little 1 mile at a time slowly on a bike trainer....very gently.

I had to return to work on day 14 so I quit pain meds at day 5, and was limping around with a cane, as I said, by day 14....University campuses suck on a cane with two new hips so early, but You gotta do what you gotta do.

I HATE the opioids.....They just suck. They need to find another answer. They don't get all the pain, make you feel poisoned, make you sleep 23 hrs a day, make you imagine things that aren't real when you're awake, make you black hole depressed when you quit....Can't believe I had withdrawals after only 5 days. Crazy ! I HATE THAT STUFF !

Hopefully in 5 more weeks I will feel better.

T

Last edited by a moderator:
I've created a signature for you that will appear at the bottom of each of your posts. You will receive notifications of new posts in a thread provided you have checked that option in your profile and you are watching that thread.

I'm sorry to hear you've had to go back to work so soon. I'm sure that's part of your problem as we really recommend at least 10 weeks and a phased return to work. You'll need to try and minimize any walking and activity at work. Stop all your exercises. They aren't needed since you're working and will actually put you in the category of doing too much too soon. If you can take a couple of breaks each day to lie down and elevate your legs, that will help. Ice would help too if you can work that out.

Once you get off work, do nothing else but go home, put your legs up, ice and rest. No errands, no dinners out, just rest. That is quite enough activity for your new hips.

You also need to be taking something for pain. Extra strength Tylenol is fine as long as you're taking 1000mg doses at least 4 hours apart and no more than 4000mg in any 24 hour period. If you are limping at all, use a walking aid. Limping will cause you to learn a poor gait, can aggravate other joints and soft tissue and also can result in hip pain. Select whatever walking aid (walker, cane, crutches) enable you to walk with a normal gait.

You're going to need to give yourself some time. You're experiencing surgical pain that takes a while to resolve. And it's being slowed by your activity level. You won't harm your new hip, but it will just likely take you a bit longer to get pain free.

I don't know how to respond to individual posts so I will thank all of you for your input and look forward to JPs followup.

Just respond here @TDennison . If you want to tag a member use the @ symbol followed by their user name (no space) just as I have tagged you.

Going back to work after only 14 days is very aggressive for having one hip replaced. You had both done! Do try to at least take some Tylenol for this pain. It is not the joints complaining, but all the muscles and soft tissues healing around the joints. Your pain meds help you regain mobility. Stay ahead of the pain and you will see progress.

TDennison.
Thanks for your observations re knee pain.
I really am amazed that you are back at work already and I'm willing to wager that it has to be contributing to your pain issues. Maybe if it's desk duties only you could chance it but I was much longer getting back to work after my Bi-Lats. Can you take some more time off to allow your hip to recover more? If not then you would need to be getting lots of rest when you come home. Also there are other pretty strong pain meds and anti-inflammatories you could use for a while instead of the opies. You should maybe talk to your doctor about this.
Give that Hip a chance man and you'll have it for a long time. I was sore for ages after my op but now I don't feel my hips at all.
Keep Well.
Joe.......

Surgery date December 22 2017 3pm.

Left Hospital December 24th Morning. No restrictions at all, and no PT at all.

I had to return to work on day 14 so I quit pain meds at day 5, and was limping around with a cane, as I said, by day 14....University campuses suck on a cane with two new hips so early, but You gotta do what you gotta do.
T
@TDennison and @jp4199 I too still have the same symptoms after hip replacement (I only had the left hip replaced - posterior). I'm now 7 1/2 weeks out. I think it's an inflamed iliopsoas muscle, but my surgeon doesn't...

I went back to work after taking less than 3 weeks off. It was a bad decision as others have said I had to find out the hard way, but my employer isn't very understanding. Yes, university campuses suck whether you are on a cane or crutches (having done both) - especially when there are hills involved. As Irish Joe said, I do believe going back to work so early is a factor in the pain department. I am still taking the non-narcotics, though not as often. I do take a hydrocodone sometimes at night, or during the day on weekends when I know I am not going anywhere..

Hang in there - take Tylenol or other non-narcotic pain relievers. Some pain relief is better than none. It will get better, but it does take time - this is a marathon and not a sprint recovery process. Rest as much as you can. It's the soft tissues that need the time. My surgeon said at least 6 months to heal.

Keep us posted...

""Going back to work after only 14 days is very aggressive for having one hip replaced. You had both done! Do try to at least take some Tylenol for this pain. ""

Thank you Ive started taking tylenol and alieve

The reason I went back to work so soon was because I have University students that needed to start their course. Couldn't be helped.

TDennison.
Thanks for your observations re knee pain.
I really am amazed that you are back at work already and I'm willing to wager that it has to be contributing to your pain issues. Maybe if it's desk duties only you could chance it but I was much longer getting back to work after my Bi-Lats.

It is desk duty....the prob is its on a college campus so there is a lot of walking with books....I look pretty silly actually :)

So I had my "almost 6 weeks out" appointment today. My surgeon said what we all expected: this is soft tissue pain and totally normal. My abductor and psoas issues were a mess prior to surgery, so we're clearly already weak. Walking with a stronger corrected gait will over time correct this. Now I can get back on Mobic (Melixicam) strongest anti-inflammatory as after surgery that was off board. I remember some substantial relief there. Ice and time. I also teach, but middle school TDennison, and spent my sick bank up with surgery. My hardest struggle really is the groin muscles (now at least I know it's not bone!!!) barking at me every time I go from standing to seated and vice versa, which is hundreds of times daily...
I've said it to other posters here, but need to remind myself: be gentle. Time heals.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@TDennison and @jp4199 I too still have the same symptoms after hip replacement (I only had the left hip replaced - posterior). I'm now 7 1/2 weeks out. I think it's an inflamed iliopsoas muscle, but my surgeon doesn't...

What does your doctor think it is if not the iliopsoas? And can you describe the pain?

@TDennison My surgeon didn't officially rule out the psoas, but, he likes to have raw, factual data to look at. However, since he adjusted my operated leg length to be shorter, he "thinks" it may need to be re-lengthened some, but he is waiting on the x-rays and MRI. He also mentioned the possibility about adjust the "cup" (?) He also said that since I'm not quite 8 weeks out, that it is still early in the healing process. But even with that, he still doesn't think it is the psoas, even though I have sent him articles about it and talked with him in depth. (I guess I am not going to win the debate...)

Anyway, the groin pain I have (and had before surgery) feels as if there is a knife in the bend/crease/fold of my operated leg. Before surgery, any time that I would do any type of exercise that required what I call a rotational movement (biking, rowing machine, elliptical), it would feel OK while I was exercising, but then an hour or two later, wham! the groin pain returned worse. It got to the point that I couldn't find a comfortable position to be in and pain pills didn't work. This is one of the reasons I had hip replacement. After surgery, my doctor asked me a number of times if the groin pain was gone. And it was. About 3 1/2 weeks after surgery, I got on the stationary bike at the gym (my OS said I could get back on at 2 weeks, but I waited). again, while I was biking (at level 1 resistance), it felt good. Unfortunately, a couple hours later, wham! The groin pain has returned. And just like pre-surgery, it never really goes away. It is always this nagging feeling that someone is pressing into the crease/fold of my leg. So after exercise, it is the worst, then subsides somewhat, but never goes away.

I found a website that talked about Symptoms of an inflamed iliopsoas muscle which describes my symptoms exactly:
"Iliopsoas inflammation causes pain in the groin, particularly when the knee is lifted up towards the chest against resistance. There may be a sensation of tightness and swelling in the groin, especially if the bursa is involved. The athlete may enter a cycle of pain where the pain disappears during training only to recur worse after exercise stops." Another website also talked about this and mentioned that biking and rowing were not good for this - which unfortunately, I agree with, but only after having experienced it.

Time will tell what the issue is and the direction of what, if anything needs to be done.

I had only 1 hip done, the week before your surgery. You had both hips done - double everything...Hang in there. You too are still very early in the healing process - especially with already being back to work. Rest or take breaks as much as you can. Keep us posted..

Tomorrow is 6 weeks and I am having terrible day. feels like the balls of my femurs, which aren't there, we hammered with a hammer. my right hip twinges in pain every step.

haven't felt this bad since week 2.

also terrible stinging pain on outside of right thigh. stinging burning hurts to the touch OUCH. feels like muscle has been ripped off bone.. all out of the blue.

anyway just wanted to check in [emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Mojo333
    Staff member since August 15, 2017
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads