Depression/post-op blues - open for all

I am very sorry that you're on that emotional roller coaster. I've had 13-15 surgeries, 8-10 were orthopedic. Both hips in 2011, three months apart. Even though I had been through shoulder, knee, ankle, and biceps surgery I was very nervous for my first hip. I did know that physical therapy was the number one most important thing for me. I stayed in a nursing home after both hips because you get two a day PT sessions. I broke my foot the first week of the first hip. It was challenging. Watch the pain meds. Codeine gives me bad dreams, vicodin has no affect. Sitting in the nursing home can get boring, lonely and a bit depressing. Also, the criticism of the girlfriend for hip #1 didn’t help. I didn’t ask for her help on hip#2 and felt much better about myself.

My suggestions:
Whatever you need to do to motivate yourself to get the PT, DO IT. PT is #1 in my book. It will make you feel better, more confident when you see the improvements, albeit slowly. Watch what meds you use. Advil should do fine by now except when you stretch the scar tissue in the Gluteus Medias (posterior approach). Get the right support people but try not to lean on them too much. Be tough. It’s a major surgery. I watched videos of the procedure before I had it. Might not be a good idea for everyone. Read other people’s posts. See how many have gone on to active lives. You can do it. Good luck.

And the detailed memories are starting to come back. Being a guy, I obviously was concerned with other things. Loosing the hair-not a concern for me. For you, it'll grow back. Focus on healing. If that's a recent photo of you, you look just fine. Sitting on the toilet WAS a hassle. Sleeping WAS a hassle. I role around and sleep on my side. I went 48 hours without sleep. That freaked me out. I was very disciplined with the PT and healed well. I ran duathlons last year but, the first months after surgery were very scary. I was afraid to walk in the grass, thick carpet, any uneven ground. I wanted solid, level, smooth ground. Another thing that I found weird is that my large muscles (Glutes, quads, etc.) came right back. The little ones that you use to put one leg over the other & tie your shoes was S-L-O-W to recover.

Hi ladies and Gent!!!! Thanks for all the encouragement. :loveshwr:

Made it through the Christmas weekend. Our furnace died 5days before, so that threw a wrench in the holiday plans and budget. Streesssssfulllllll!!! 2 days and empty pockets later, we had heat again. Phew!
Got through that flu bug as well. That was a drag. I slept for 3 days and was on a strict regime of fluids and Nyquil.
Last week I saw my surgeon for 4 week post op check. Nothing to report except my incision looks good...he didn't seem concerned with the muscle cramps/spasms I'm having in thigh nor the sharp pains and aches behind my hip bone. He said I'm doing the right stuff...ice and elevating. Too soon for xrays due to edema. So back end of January for xrays and an mri after that to see if my femoral head is behaving. Fingers crossed!

So, still finding my way through the blues....this time of year doesn't help the good feelers-cold and dark and stuck indoors. Bleck. But I'm plodding along, one day at a time, and knitting my way through the boohoo's. I'll post a pic soon. :ok:

Hugs all around!!! :friends:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, bionic friends!

I haven't posted in ages and do you know why? Because as hard as it may be to believe right now, recovery does take you to a better place. The road can feel long and lonely, but hang in there!

I had THR in May of 2016, so it's not super recent, but at 7 months post op, it's still recent enough to remember each challenge and recovery stage and to not be 100% yet.

After my surgery I had momentary "buyer's remorse" and thoughts of "What did I DO?" But today, I'm in less pain and truly grateful to have it behind me.

Each of our stories is different. But if you've needed joint replacement chances are really good that the surgery was well warranted and your life was characterized by pain and discomfort. Now you have a new normal. A new set of challenges. It isn't an automatic flip of the switch that everything is immediately better. And it isn't as if the pain you are feeling now was caused by an optional surgery such as cosmetic calf implants. And the post-surgical pain isn't permanent.

Here at the end of the year there's so much talk about how bad 2016 has been with recaps of tragic world events and celebrity deaths. Undeniably there have been low points. But a new year is on the way and you, friend, have so much to be hopeful for. Wherever you are in your recovery, know you aren't alone.

I wish I had found this site before my TKR. I would not have had the surgery. Mayo clinic told me in January that emotionally I was not ready to have major surgery. Every other Dr said "do it" you will feel so much better and it might help your anxiety and depression. NOT

@lmb Oh dear you sound so down. What's the matter can I help in any way. I had my hip replaced 11 days before your op.

I am 16 weeks post op LTHR. I was home for 3 1/2 months before returning to work. I was off two weeks prior, due to not being able to walk. I had a manual labor job that included a lot of walking and I just couldn't do it any longer. As many have stated, I too dealt with depression and anxiety about a month into recovery. It hit me like a ton of bricks. At first I didn't know what was happening. I would have these periods where I would stare into space, not talk or eat. I would cry uncontrollably and couldn't sit still. My daughter and husband were there with me, and it helped to be able to get me out of "my own head" so to speak. At my 6 week postop my OS said it was totally normal and it would pass. To get out of the house, start walking more, keep busy and do not allow it to take over. Pretty much the same advice my daughter of 18 said. She was and is a God's send for me. I have had more hair than usual come out and I have hypothyroidism which I loose a lot anyway. So that has been depressing within itself. I had in home health care for 6 weeks and it was great. My incision looks good, but have been wondering here recently why it feels bumpy some and a little firm, not to mention the numbness that exists in and around the incision. After finding this forum (which I should have searched for during my early recovery days, since I had plenty of time at home) I have found out that massaging Vit E on it will help considerably. I am all for that. Unfortunately, my back decided to act up starting at 8 weeks postop and that hindered my healing somewhat because I was having difficulty walking and doing some of my PT. We worked around it, I visited my PM Physician and it seems to be better, but I do still have a bit of a gait issue, not bad. I will be thankful when I can walk well like I once did. All in all.... I am blessed for having the surgery. I am out of my depression and able to do more with my family than I've done in almost 2 years. It does take time and patients, but I know that I still have a long road to full recovery. Thank all of you for your input, it really does help, even this far out postop.

Blessing to all!

@Tree Welcome to BoneSmart! So glad you found us! Why don't you start your own thread in the hip recovery area so that we can support you. Sounds like you are really doing well. I am so glad you conquered the depression. Many people experience this post op. But it does ease. Here's a thread about it from our Library Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it.

How's the hip crew doing now that we are into 2017 and made it through the holidays? The month of January is recognized as a time when depression is at its peak, so I wanted to send out some hugs and toss some glitter to you all from my Igloo here in Canada. Haha

I've taken a knitting hiatus. I think I overknit. It's like that time I had 3 too many shots of Tequila....oy! No, actually it's actually more like having been on a long road trip...you enjoy driving, but after 3 very constant days of it, everytime you close your eyes you just see road . Yah, so I knitted myself into a knitting coma. Haha

Anyhow, I wanted to share a recent thing that happened. After my checkup a couple weeks back with my OS, he told me to begin taking 2,000ui of vitamin D daily, explaining it's important roll in our bone health. After some research I opted for a highly absorable liquid softgel vitamin D-3. Since taking it, I have now noticed a shift in my overall mood..... Like some of the gloom in my disposition has lifted. I'm feeling less "Eeyore" and more "Winnie the Pooh". Haha

Yay vitamins! :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
@danabanana thanks for checking in here! Sounds like you have turned the corner - well done. And yes, vitamin D is important for bone growth. Since this time of year can be very dark and cold we may not get enough. Glad you are seeing the benefits of taking it. Here's a thread from the nutrition section of our Library about Vitamin D.

Im just going in to my 6th week after complete left hip replacement ,like others I've had ups and downs not being able to sleep because of staying on your back , seeing Consultant Feb 3rd and hoping I can come of my back and turn over again this will help , I am gradually reducing the daily diet of pain killers but have found myself going in a dark place I was on 8x30 mg codeine and 500 paracetomol so got down to about 3 now I have less pain now providing I dont overdo it and feeling better in myself now but like you out there ive read the blogs and that helps to relise we are all suffering in different ways but above all looking forward to pain free walking as spring /summer approach

@Dickaroo Welcome to BoneSmart. Yes, post op blues are real. I assume you have seen the link on this at the beginning of this thread. But the good news is this passes and is usually replaced by the joy of knowing you can go on living without hip pain.

Why don't you start your own thread in the recovery area. It does help to share this journey with others going through the same experience.

@Dickaroo I started really getting depressed about 6 weeks after my THR. It seemed like my painful recovery was going on forever. I felt terrible, was running a fever, and my OS wouldn't even return my phone calls. Now it's a month later. There's no pain, just minor aching. I can sleep on my side, but I've gotten so used to my back, sleeping on my side feels weird. [emoji4]

Hang in there. You're at the cusp of turning the corner. It'll be better soon and you'll be thrilled you had the surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks guys its nice to know that things get better after a few weeks , not felt so good today I went back to hospital for check up they said they thought I should be off crutches now but i still have soreness and pain so going pysio next week to build muscle up , im now on week 7 post op so feel my progress is not going so well as I thought , so now the surgeon says I can turn on my side ,drive my car maybe and do bits and bobs I feel in myself I need a few more weeks healing to do a lot of these things but I suppose I feel the pain my surgeon good as he is doesnt , so will see what physio does to me :)

Thanks guys its nice to know that things get better after a few weeks , not felt so good today I went back to hospital for check up they said they thought I should be off crutches now but i still have soreness and pain so going pysio next week to build muscle up , im now on week 7 post op so feel my progress is not going so well as I thought , so now the surgeon says I can turn on my side ,drive my car maybe and do bits and bobs I feel in myself I need a few more weeks healing to do a lot of these things but I suppose I feel the pain my surgeon good as he is doesnt , so will see what physio does to me :)

Hi take as much time as you need you know your body I had an above knee amputation 6 weeks ago and like you I am struggling to I have had two bad falls and I know I can't push any harder or faster take care and go at what pace you believe in
Sunny

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pain you have in your arms is caused by your muscles using those walkers ,its surprising you just use muscle you never new you had , I like you have left hip total replacement im at 7 wk now and I get pain in my right leg ( ,its taking the work of the left ) my surgeon says it should be better when the left takes some of the strain back , its not unusual to be depressed see some of my blogs , with the pain dark nights xmas now gone but look forward to the spring and summer when you will be so much better take care

Thank you for your kind response. I just had so many problems from Day 1 with this whole surgery. Home RN and PT cancelling and rescheduling. A horrible PA the Surgeon had that actually put his finger in my face and yelled at me, causing me to burst out in tears. It was all about my concern about pain pills and said I'd insulted him because they needed me to take this, and was I a doctor? What did I know? I had fallen off the raised toilet seat and have other concerns, and he listened and said "every one of these problems are caused by YOU". That started it off on a bad foot. The "joint" nurse called to check in and I told her about that and emailed her the details. I now only see the surgeon and never the PA. I'm prone to depression anyway, and felt like this was something I wanted to discuss with someone. The loss of hair. My isolation, loss of appetite, weight loss. There was nobody there, and I feel a social worker or someone trained in post op depression should be there to help. I can't possibly be the only one. Bills start pouring in, you feel like an animal in a cage, you lose nights of sleep, food is disgusting. I don't want to blame my current condition ( lack of muscle tone from avoiding PT ) on anyone else. This just hit me like ton of bricks and I felt I was losing my mind. No, I couldn't cry. I could bury my head in the pillows and pull the covers over my head. Thank goodness for my friends, one a professional social worker. She came and helped me make an agenda, organize all my paperwork and bills, did laundry, and it meant the world to me. Today, I'm feeling like a 75% instead of a 25% I was feeling just the other day. I was up and walking today with NO assistive device. It does indeed take a lot of mental strength as well as strength in my thigh. Thanks for letting me share my thought, nobody should have to suffer through this alonet.
Dear Luvinlex,
First thank you for posting about your feelings because when I read your post just now I too realized I am not losing my mind and I am not alone or abnormal. I too have a history with depression, and esp. this time every year. I am 1 month post-op today from having my left hip THR. this week I have felt depression come back like a truck, and although I do not live alone, I have a very loving husband and 2 very loving teenage sons, I feel like I can not even make conversation with anyone I am just so sad and flat inside. I don't know if it is in part because I have been sitting in my house for 1 month, and watching movies on Netflix, trying to stay entertained with TV while the kids are at school and in and out at sports, I did have some visitors the first couple weeks but I have not had any in the past 2, and the days have become very mundane. As you know it can be exhausting just to wash up, bathe, shampoo my hair, as I am still not supposed to shower believe it or not because my incision has not closed all the way yet, so I feel like its 1130am every day by the time I feel clean and dressed! I try to get back in my routine, picking up a bit around the house, but I tire out so fast, and my PT has given me about 15 exercises to do daily, 2-3 times per day, so that IS my day, I have nothing left to give and I can never finish all the exercises anyway. Now I suddenly feel really depressed and not even sure what could have caused this to come one so sudden like this. I do not even want to bother getting dressed to be honest, I feel like what is the point, I am not going anywhere or seeing anyone except my immediate family and I just assume be in my pajamas. I am not sure what to do to snap out of it, I have tried believe me and nothing has helped. I just isolate myself in my bedroom most days all day.

@cameramom You are only one month out of major surgery. Please be kind to yourself. Doing all the picking up and chores around the house is bound to make you tired. And frankly I would stop all that PT. Fifteen exercises 2-3 times per day is way too much. No wonder you are tired. Don't forget the Energy drain for THRs . It hits at about one month and you just can't fight it. Nap if you can. This too shall pass!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom