THR 6 weeks out after LTHR feel like I'm regressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad to hear you have a plan re surgery #2. great news. i had my 6 week post op today and am allowed to get on celebrex for my hip in waiting. i hope it helps. i find anti-inflammatories more helpful than anything else for the OA pain. i was not allowed to take them for 6 weeks post op so looking forward to getting started again. i don't know about you, but my gait is terrible, and my surgeon said today it won't get much better till #2 is done. such a long drawn out process and lesson in patience for sure.

Chuckster. Same thing I have going. I had my left done on Dec 12th. I had arthroscopic in my right 5 years ago to clean it out and round the head of the femur after a torn labrum. It has never been the same and is very arthritic. I also have a pretty bad right ankle i've sprained probably 10 times that acts up now and then. I know where you are coming from.

I am waiting until I get to full strength on the left side before I decide on the other. I am not in the pain it sounds like you are though, but I'm not doing much.

Whatever you decide good luck hope you are feeling better.

Thanks, Chuckster. I'm keeping the faith. When my son used to complain about things I would always tell him that I could do anything for one month, so I guess I'm about to find out. I'm taking one pain pill after I get to work and another prior to bed. Other than that I'm just doing some Tylenol (doctor says no ibuprofen, etc. for at least 6 weeks) and the nerve pills.

Hope your right leg continues to stay calm with no more flare ups.

So glad to hear you have a plan re surgery #2. great news. i had my 6 week post op today and am allowed to get on celebrex for my hip in waiting. i hope it helps. i find anti-inflammatories more helpful than anything else for the OA pain. i was not allowed to take them for 6 weeks post op so looking forward to getting started again. i don't know about you, but my gait is terrible, and my surgeon said today it won't get much better till #2 is done. such a long drawn out process and lesson in patience for sure.

Yep I'm right there with ya my issue seems to be it feels okay then I push the envelope then I'm down for the count again. It's sooooooo frustrating cause the new hip feels great no pain I'm at 7 weeks today !

But my gait is terrible I'm still on the cane ( switching hands at times!) and I can't wait till my right feels like the new one. Hard to imagine doing this all over again but gotta do it. Can't wait to walk normal and be pain free.

Was gonna do it in fall but we looking at late April now let's get it done! I need to go car shopping tomorrow so resting now heating pad on right and oxy in the system. This is a major life challenge but we got this!! Thanks for the awesome support here.

Hey let me know how the Celebrex works don't want to take too much oxy ya know !!

Chuckster

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Chuckster. Same thing I have going. I had my left done on Dec 12th. I had arthroscopic in my right 5 years ago to clean it out and round the head of the femur after a torn labrum. It has never been the same and is very arthritic. I also have a pretty bad right ankle i've sprained probably 10 times that acts up now and then. I know where you are coming from.

I am waiting until I get to full strength on the left side before I decide on the other. I am not in the pain it sounds like you are though, but I'm not doing much.

Whatever you decide good luck hope you are feeling better.

Yea I think I'm doing too much gotta scale it back. Can't wait to do #2 now wanna walk normal and be pain free again. I figure by late April /early May I'll be ready 4 to 4 1/2 months removed from hip #1.... we were originally gonna do fall but no way I can wait I'm bone on bone on the right too. The left feels fabulous already after 7 weeks. !! Hang in there we got this !!

Thanks, Chuckster. I'm keeping the faith. When my son used to complain about things I would always tell him that I could do anything for one month, so I guess I'm about to find out. I'm taking one pain pill after I get to work and another prior to bed. Other than that I'm just doing some Tylenol (doctor says no ibuprofen, etc. for at least 6 weeks) and the nerve pills.

Hope your right leg continues to stay calm with no more flare ups.

It's flaring a bit as we speak and I gotta go buy a new car in morning but I took a oxy hope I'm in la la land and wake up a little better. It's so weird I'm using the cane on my surgical side to support the non surgical side lately it's bizarre! Let's hang in there some day we will have two new magic hips and will forget all about this pain. We got this KC!!!!

Chuckster

7 weeks on the books been going out a lot of driving got a new car last week hope I'm not pushing too much. New hip feels fabulous old hip not so much. Been switching hands with cane and trying to baby the old hip now.

It's weird I wish I was totally pain free but I'm still bone on bone other side. Moving #2 up from early fall to early spring I want to get it done!!

Should I try a cortisone shot in the meantime ?! Had a couple last year they were moderately helpful. Also should I try sleeping on stomach like I used to. OS said I can but now I'm so used to sleeping on back I'm a bit afraid.

Anyway that's the Chuckster update please feel free to comment I appreciate the support!!

@chuckster, glad that new hip is doing so well! I'd check with the surgeon before having a cortisone shot. Some of them don't allow surgery until 3 months have passed after such a shot. Your surgeon may not, but better safe than sorry.

Agree with Krista as u had to wait 3 months after a cortisone shot that only worked got two weeks anyway. May not be worth it but see what your IS recommends.
Sam

@chuckster, glad that new hip is doing so well! I'd check with the surgeon before having a cortisone shot. Some of them don't allow surgery until 3 months have passed after such a shot. Your surgeon may not, but better safe than sorry.

I think you are right no sense in a cortisone shot at this point and doc probably wouldn't allow it anyway. I'm just pointing to April 27 let's get this done two new hips and the Chuckster back in business !!

I'm at 9 weeks out from my LTHR and it feels great the right hip giving me all the pain now. Still taking Tylenol and occasional nighttime oxy to dull the pain. I love the heating pad but wonder if I should be icing more ?!! Also, started hydrotherapy PT this week I like the warm pool feels awesome.

Anyone had any success with alternative therapies at all? What should I be doing in next 9 plus weeks before my second surgery?! how do I deal with a brand new left hip and a terribly deteriorating right hip that's bone on bone in the meantime before my #2 surgery April 27. I'm so frustrated jealous of the people that for whatever reason only needed one hip done. This end stage OA is a major cross to bear I'm praying for the day I can walk again pain (and cane!) free!!! All ideas, support and encouragement welcome :)

Chuckster in CT

I love the heating pad but wonder if I should be icing more ?!!
For a pre-op hip see if anything works. Unfortunately there is little that can be done to control pre-op pain. Limit your activities. Take it very easy with the hydrotherapy - you can easily over do when you are weightless in the water.
Anyone had any success with alternative therapies at all?
If there was an alternative therapy to address pre-op pain, the person who invented it would be a zillionaire!

Anyone had any success with alternative therapies at all?

Have you tried acupuncture at all? Although it seems that people either love it or hate it, I do have good results with it. BUT, just like finding a doctor, dentist, etc., you do have to find one that you like and feel comfortable with. (maybe ask friends, family, co-workers, etc.) It took me 2 or 3 different acupuncturists before I found the one I go to now. Even post surgery, I would recommend it. After I had my leg surgeries (4 surgeries over the course of 18 months and 8 months on crutches), after I would leave the acupuncturist's office, I felt as though I could run a marathon! Plus, to me it's the best hour of sleep ever! :sleeep:

I find acupuncture fascinating as how can they put a needle in your big toe and you feel it in your back??? :what:

It may take multiple visits before you notice any difference, but it may be worth trying...

@chuckster i am 5 weeks out from RTHR and feeling the same way! i am just getting to the point in recovery where my operated hip is starting to feel good and my left hip is screaming in pain from all of the walking and strengthening i am doing. i'm also worried i will be on the cane until my second hip is done. my plan is to try and get some decent pain killers for my left and then get it done in 6 -12 months. i work full time with a long commute, two young kids, husband travels for his job, so it's hard to find time to have surgery again so soon, but i know i need to get it over and done with. if both of your hips were diagnosed with OA then you know it won't get better, only worse. it sounds like its time to start planning for #2. just think how good you will feel once it is all over and you can get back to doing what you love. that is how i am getting through this - focus on the end state and how i will get my life back. i've really tried to take a long term view of it and it has helped me get through the dark moments.

Thank you lulu you are spot on here I'm in the same boat with the other side ugh it's tough I have 9 more weeks until # 2 can't wait !

Chuckster

Hey @chuckster. I got my first hip 1/30 and if I could get the second one done before going back to work I would. Mornings and coming down the stairs are particularly bad. Having zero pain sounds like a dream come true. One day sooner than later I hope.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Hang in there @chuckster and those who are also patiently awaiting the second thr, you're in great co :)

I had to wait several mos between thr's and found that babying the sore hip as is advised on BS was most effective. Also found using at least one crutch (opposite side of bad leg) worked better for me than a cane because I could lean on it. I used a cross body bag -or a messenger bag for guys- to carry books, etc. I brought and used ice packs everywhere I went, even while driving. Besides Tylenol XS and occasional Advil XS, I used calcium citrate, vit d, etc., which helped deaden the pain, love calcium, it's amazing stuff and it's not expensive.

Fwiw, I had to remind myself, sometimes hourly, that my hip is angry, inflamed and doesn't want to move much or exercise, it wants rest. It's a tough spot to be in.. your first hip is trying to heal but you cannot always recognize progress because the second one is screaming day and night. Meanwhile, muscles in *both* legs are out of whack (ouch!) adjusting to this in-between stage. Once I accepted this was temporary and simply a means to an end, it became more tolerable.

Lastly, a bright spot, a surgical nurse told me that having to wait the several mos for the second thr had allowed some much needed time for my body to heal from the first surgery. First hip was wedged in the socket and very inflamed, that surgery took a lot out of me and I went in with otherwise great health.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there @chuckster and those who are also patiently awaiting the second thr, you're in great co :)

I had to wait several mos between thr's and found that babying the sore hip as is advised on BS was most effective. Also found using at least one crutch (opposite side of bad leg) worked better for me than a cane because I could lean on it. I used a cross body bag -or a messenger bag for guys- to carry books, etc. I brought and used ice packs everywhere I went, even while driving. Besides Tylenol XS and occasional Advil XS, I used calcium citrate, vit d, etc., which helped deaden the pain, love calcium, it's amazing stuff and it's not expensive.

Fwiw, I had to remind myself, sometimes hourly, that my hip is angry, inflamed and doesn't want to move much or exercise, it wants rest. It's a tough spot to be in.. your first hip is trying to heal but you cannot always recognize progress because the second one is screaming day and night. Meanwhile, muscles in *both* legs are out of whack (ouch!) adjusting to this in-between stage. Once I accepted this was temporary and simply a means to an end, it became more tolerable.

Lastly, a bright spot, a surgical nurse told me that having to wait the several mos for the second thr had allowed some much needed time for my body to heal from the first surgery. First hip was wedged in the socket and very inflamed, that surgery took a lot out of me and I went in with otherwise great health.

Thanks horseshoe your posts inspire me to keep going. It's frustrating being on the cane out on public I'm very self conscious for some reason. I have read here on many posts about all the variations in recovery time and the major difference between getting one done and needing two !

My second non-op hip is screaming daily to be taken out and replaced like my left one. In the meantime I'll baby it as be patient as I can till April 27. I've been taking 2 Tylenol 500 mg and an occasional oxy 5 mg before bed. Also, i use heating pad on it a lot I wonder if ice would be better as my right leg swells when I'm too active. It's hard for me I like to be out and about and I'm working 4 days a week in an office part time like 20 hours a week.

I have my last hydrotherapy appt next week it's hard because the two sides are in such different places. After #2 it will be awesome to work daily to being in an even playing field if you will and when the day comes I'm walking pain free again I will thank my lucky stars [emoji92]

Any input and support is welcome as I have now just over 8 weeks to go for #2!

Thanks to everyone here [emoji1319]

Chuckster

So sorry you have to wait so long for #2 hip. Baby that screaming one - you'll be truly bionic soon!

Just read your thread and want to respond to a few things. My first hip surgery was horrible and then later I had to have a revision, and if I heard 1 story like this, "my brother, sister, mother, had a surgery and two wks later was painting the living room " I heard a million of them. Though I am a fairly happy person, I was getting angry already at people, and then I almost started to internalize something was wrong with me that I was not doing better :(. People have no idea what you are going through, and that EVERYBODY is so different in recovery and that is why this site is so valuable. I swear I do not know what I would have done without it a few years ago. I, in fact, made several friends that I stay in contact with off the site too. Sometimes, when 1 hip goes, the other follows, but that is also in many different ways and on many different timelines for people. Sooo glad you are scheduled for April and not waiting till fall.

The other thing is that right now I am two weeks out from doing my other hip and it has really limited my life, with all the pain. Everyone is different and has different Physical therapy restrictions with their insurance and different financial resources, so I do understand this, but I have been very lucky. What I have been doing to manage is going to pre op PT for the last 2 months, JUST to be able to manage while getting to surgery. My PT does something called "dry needling" which uses needles thin, like acupuncture needles, which are longer, and go right into the muscles for a release. She did that for a couple weeks and now I go for ultra sound, stim, and massage in my SI and hip area. I swear, it has gotten me back to functioning with a lot less pain, though nothing takes it away. I also go to the chiropractor every couple of weeks as I am hiking one side up from walking funny and that helps even me out and makes my back feel better. I have nerve damage from the last rigmarole, so I already use a cane but now I am using 2 and trying to use a walker in the house. Use anything you can to take the pressure off that bad one and it will help.

May or may not be helpful info for you, but be good to yourself and try to realize you have to "operate" within your bodies restrictions right now or you just create more pain for yourself. Good luck to you and I will be keeping an eye on your thread - Cathy

Just read your thread and want to respond to a few things. My first hip surgery was horrible and then later I had to have a revision, and if I heard 1 story like this, "my brother, sister, mother, had a surgery and two wks later was painting the living room " I heard a million of them. Though I am a fairly happy person, I was getting angry already at people, and then I almost started to internalize something was wrong with me that I was not doing better :(. People have no idea what you are going through, and that EVERYBODY is so different in recovery and that is why this site is so valuable. I swear I do not know what I would have done without it a few years ago. I, in fact, made several friends that I stay in contact with off the site too. Sometimes, when 1 hip goes, the other follows, but that is also in many different ways and on many different timelines for people. Sooo glad you are scheduled for April and not waiting till fall.

The other thing is that right now I am two weeks out from doing my other hip and it has really limited my life, with all the pain. Everyone is different and has different Physical therapy restrictions with their insurance and different financial resources, so I do understand this, but I have been very lucky. What I have been doing to manage is going to pre op PT for the last 2 months, JUST to be able to manage while getting to surgery. My PT does something called "dry needling" which uses needles thin, like acupuncture needles, which are longer, and go right into the muscles for a release. She did that for a couple weeks and now I go for ultra sound, stim, and massage in my SI and hip area. I swear, it has gotten me back to functioning with a lot less pain, though nothing takes it away. I also go to the chiropractor every couple of weeks as I am hiking one side up from walking funny and that helps even me out and makes my back feel better. I have nerve damage from the last rigmarole, so I already use a cane but now I am using 2 and trying to use a walker in the house. Use anything you can to take the pressure off that bad one and it will help.

May or may not be helpful info for you, but be good to yourself and try to realize you have to "operate" within your bodies restrictions right now or you just create more pain for yourself. Good luck to you and I will be keeping an eye on your thread - Cathy

Thank you very much Cathy I appreciate the info and the support. I am trying hard to make a concerted effort to be patient with myself and let the process run its course. I had a meeting with my surgeon on St.Paddy's Day got new X-rays and a game plan going forward.

We reaffirmed my scheduled April 27 date for my TRHR aka hip #2....yay! He said the new hip looks wonderful at the 3 month mark now and that the X-rays confirm the further deterioration of my right hip with bone on bone and spurs and polyps present hence my bad pain. He suggested incorporating more Aleve/Advil into my already 2x 500mg Tylenol every 6 hours regimen.

I asked him a number of other questions as well one about LLD and he said after my first surgery it was a scant 2-3mm different and it should rectify itself after #2 and ensuing months thereafter. Also, I confirmed he would use the exact same ceramic/titanium (?)hip as with #1 a brand from DePuy for younger more active patients he said. So that was good. He said he's excited to do it and looking forward to great results for me. He's a very caring and extremely patient and nice man I'm very very comfortable with him.

So, 5 1/2 more weeks and we are ready to rock and get me one step closer to a pain free life. I don't need to play grueling 3 hour tennis matches anymore I get those days are gone. I wanna be able to get out of my car and walk around the grocery store pain free that's it as simple as that. Or get up from the couch or chair without laboring. Plain and simple goals.

Thanks to everyone here for the support it's been invaluable to me. KcDawg/Horseshoe/ Jacey and many others have inspired me to keep going! Any comments or suggestions based on this post always appreciated let's keep pushing forward everyone it's the first day of spring today oh yea !!!!

Chuckster

Way to go, glad you are all set up for next one. So your only job now is to not overdo it and to do some things to try to ease the pain. Recovery is never a straight line, always up and now. Take care, cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads