TKR abnormal lab results after ltkr

Pain around 3 this morning.
Taking 1 percocet 5mg every 4 hours and Tramadol 50 mg. Whenever pain level rises I take 2.
Moderate swelling.
Ice and elevate every 1-2 hours.
ROM 88-92 varied was 90 last night. extension 2.
Exercise 1-2x day. Get on recumbent and move pedal unable to do full revolution at this time.
I rest a lot. Shower and prepare easy heated meals. Empty dishwasher and a load of laundry a day. Taking miralax daily and eating veggies and high fiber still have problems with constipation.
I start outside pt this week, leery of it and won't be afraid to say stop!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

my incision is weird and rises in middle is this normal?

hag.jpg

Have you ever had scars that rise or get thick? I believe those are called keloid scars. There's nothing dangerous, but it's still early in healing.

I think your scar looks like that because the internal stitches are still pulling the tissues together. Once those stitches dissolve, your scar should flatten out.

Partially correct! @J.A. Hag's wound has that appearance because she has a continuous subcuticular suture which has been applied rather stringently thus pulling the deeper levels of the fat tightly. But as Celle said, once it starts to break down the scar will flatten. It might take a few weeks for the suture material to degrade and a few more weeks for the incision to flatten.

Pain around 3 this morning.
You did factor in
other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness, I trust?
Taking 1 Percocet 5mg every 4 hours and Tramadol 50 mg. Whenever pain level rises I take 2.
You shouldn't be taking both these. Either one or the other. If you take the Tramadol (which in my opinion is by far the better pain killer) then also take Tylenol and use this chart.

aa Tramadol routine 1.JPG

Moderate swelling.
From your photograph, that is NOT moderate swelling. It's the huge one!
Ice and elevate every 1-2 hours.
Yes but for how long each time?
ROM 88-92 varied was 90 last night. extension 2.
That's okay for 3½ weeks out. Not bad at all.
I rest a lot. Shower and prepare easy heated meals. Empty dishwasher and a load of laundry a day. Taking miralax daily and eating veggies and high fiber still have problems with constipation.
Jolly good but do keep on top of that constipation!
Exercise 1-2x day. Get on recumbent and move pedal unable to do full revolution at this time.
With that swelling, I would imagine so.
Good for you. But I do urge you to be very sparing with the exercises. With that amount of swelling, any exercises will just make things worse. Read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

Excellent!!! Remember---the PT works for you---not the other way around. You draw that line in the sand and let them know what you will do and what is unacceptable. Do not allow them to force your knee to measure ROM, and do not allow them to make you perform any exercise that causes pain; go only to the point of discomfort, and no further.

I ice for 20 minutes while knee is elevated.
This is not a long enough time to ice. You should be icing for a minimum of 40 minutes or so at a time---I would ice for an hour or so after my BTKR. Ice is your friend; it will eliminate some of the swelling and is great for pain relief, as well.

You can ice for longer intervals by putting a towel between the ice and your skin.

ok thank you. I will increase my icing today and take no percocet only tradamol and tylenol.

I know that many of us have been used to the "20 minutes per hour" type of icing. I iced, at times, all afternoon or all morning, depending, and it really, really, helped things.

Until recently, I pretty much iced and elevated around the clock. If I was sitting I iced, and I iced all night. My swelling has never been more than moderate. I don't think you can ice too much, and it really helps with the pain as well.

Basically, I iced until I didn't swell. Sometimes longer than an hour.

I would go to sleep at night with an ice pack on my knee (over some material) and replace the pack with a fresh, frozen one if I woke during the night. I also iced all the time I was resting and elevating my leg in the daytime. So, basically, I iced for hours. It worked wonders.

For me the "20 minutes" was a break between gel packs. :wink:

hi! I'm in my 5th week now. Still waking up of at night and swelling sometimes other then those 2 things all in well. today is 9degrees yesterday it snowed an inch. Moderator if u could change thread I would like to ask this question. Does cold weather make knee feel worse? more achy due to metal? or is it the soft tissues? since the arthritis is gone not sure why it feels tighter and different.

What would you like your thread title to be?

For me I don't think the cold has made any difference for my new knee. Some people say that they can feel the difference. My old knee is pretty accurate in weather predicting.

:upright:Way to go on the bike!:yes!:

Good for you! I found my recumbent bike helped to loosen up my knee. I am someone who feel the cold in all my bones, including my TKR leg. Much of last week I was very achy with high temps in the teens.

Congratulations on the recumbent bike!! That is a big step!!
Moderator if u could change thread I would like to ask this question. Does cold weather make knee feel worse? more achy due to metal? or is it the soft tissues? since the arthritis is gone not sure why it feels tighter and different.
How would you like me to change the thread---I can take care of that.

Some have said that they can tell when the weather is going to change by how their knees feel, but I really have not heard of the cold affecting them. As for my two knees, the weather changes and the cold do not bother them at all.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back