THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prunes seemed to have done their job :)

9 days post op now. Still going well. Think I had a bit of withdrawals from the fentanyl patch but nothing significant. Headaches and some body aches but an fine now. Had noticed a little more pain but nothing significant. Noticed less fatigue with endone than the tramadol short release so taking that now for breakthrough pain. Still on the slow release 12 hourly.
Staples out in two days and next home physio visit. Will update soon xx

Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.

So happy for you and so upbeat as always. Praying all continues to run on rails.
And God bless those wonderful prunes!

Noticed less fatigue with endone than the tramadol short release so taking that now for breakthrough pain.
That's odd (though I am pleased for you) because Ednone is oxycodone which statistically has more sedative effect than Tramadol. But hey, whatever works for you and everybody is different.

Nevertheless, I'm concerned about your 'breakthrough pain' as you shouldn't really be having any if you're taking your pain meds properly/regularly. Are you? If yes, please ignore this comment! :wink:

Yes @Josephine that's what the doctor in the hospital said about the endone too but it's how it worked with me! I am 3.5 weeks post revision now.

I was on 12 hourly oxy and it was taking care of the pain, then because that was taking care of most of the pain I was taking an endone maybe once a day, icing and resting.

I am fully off meds now. Am having sore knees with my rheumatoid flaring up from being off meds. They are starting to settle as I have taken a few doses of my weekly anti-inflammatory meds now.

I had some withdrawal symptoms coming off the oxy- I had restless leg one night that kept me up for hours and I worried it would stick around but I weaned off my meds and it was only that one night.

I have been off crutches after 1.5 weeks. My PT said I was walking the same with and without the crutch so he had no problem.

Staples came out no issues- had 22 this time, 16 last time. Incision is healing well.

PT has been coming out once a week and pretty much says I am going well and to keep doing what I'm doing and increase my walking. He was so surprised how well I bounced back which is always good. How well I am recovering does make sense because I had been doing PT on that leg for the last 3 months but I think that leg wasn't recovering before because the implant may have not been placed properly.

I am going back to work this week for a few hours then will talk to my boss about increasing my hours. She has been so great with all of this. I have been applying for full time work as I work casually now and I feel capable to work full time now with my new hips! Still in an admin setting though, not going to run a marathon [emoji12]

Hope everyone is well in BS land!

Lovely @dandy_candi - I'm pleased to read thet good news. Good luck with your work. It must be terribly hot in Victoria and I'm freezing over here in Germany. Love from Constanze

First day back at work today, 4 weeks post revision.

Did 6 hour shift. Went well, kept up and hip didn't get sore. Got home and was reading a book and fell asleep so must have tired me out more than I realised! I have a cold too so that would impact my energy.

I just worked on the counter serving customers so wasn't getting up and down too often. Going to do a day of drive tests next week which is a bit of a quicker pace as I have appointments to keep up but it's not until Wednesday so I can rest up until then.

What great news Candice. Good to get back to a bit of normality but I'm not surprised you had a tiredness jag. I'll take a side bet that you'll get a few of them but that's just your body talking to you - best listen!

Glad you are getting back to some normalcy after this extended recovery. Keep listening to your body.

Well, @dandy_candi - I've just read your entire story (took a while, so much has happened!) and am full of admiration for the way you've handled everything. Thank you for your input to my own very recent posts as a new member and it is interesting to put everything you've suggested to me into context with your own experience.

Resilience is the word that comes to mind, and strength. Your're amazing. And so generous to share each step of the way, particularly when disaster struck and you had every right to lay low and concentrate on the matter at hand! But no, you kept the information flowing and were so calm.

May this recovery continue well. You have many friends here and everyone will be very keen to hear how you go with your OS appointment toward the end of the month. Keep well, brave one!

Well, @dandy_candi

Resilience is the word that comes to mind, and strength. Your're amazing. And so generous to share each step of the way, particularly when disaster struck and you had every right to lay low and concentrate on the matter at hand! But no, you kept the information flowing and were so calm.

May this recovery continue well. You have many friends here and everyone will be very keen to hear how you go with your OS appointment toward the end of the month. Keep well, brave one!

Thank you so much for your kind words Sunny Girl.

They honestly brought me to tears. When I think of what I have done it's pretty crazy, and when I tell people and their jaws drop it sort of makes me realise it's not just a little thing. I did this big thing, 3 surgeries in 6 months, and I'm on the other side. I made it through. It's pretty amazing and it's honestly changed my life. I went camping over the weekend, as we do every year as we go and watch a water ski race on the river a few hours from our home. My brother in law and father in law usually participate but didn't this year due to waiting on a new boat.
And I slept in our camper for the first time since my surgeries and it went well. Well it was comfortable enough, I didn't sleep well because there was someone's generator right near our camper. But physically I did well. I went for a swim, sat around in unsupportive camp chairs all weekend. And I walked to the start line to look at all the boats as they went into the water and there is this barrier that I remember I struggled to step over last year and this year I did it with ease, and no pain. Well not 100%ease as I am only 5'1" so most things are quite high for me baba but I just revelled in the fact that only 1 year ago I was in agony, unable to sleep in the camper from pain, unable
to step over the barrier,and here I am, 1 year later and 9 months out of my first surgery and I'm kicking goals. I said to my friends that were there that I couldn't step over the barrier last year and I got a little cheer but I wanted to write on here because I know you guys really understand.

I am going well in general. I am working between 15 and 25 hours a week. One week I worked 4 days and was pretty chausted but I am going well now. I am only working causally but feeling good enough now to apply for full time work so have been applying lately. There isn't much work around as I live in a small town but hoping I find something in the next little while.

But I have been keeping busy being creative and started a market stall making jewellery and homewares from concrete and with copper and gold leaf details. So that has given me something to look forward to and a little but of extra income.

I even bought a Fitbit to try and monitor my steps and level of activity most days at work I am doing 6 thousand steps in a day so pretty happy with that happy with that 4 months out from my revision. Goal is 8,000 - 10,000 so I can lose some of this weight I put on during my "hip years" and get a bit fitter.

I hope everyone is going well and I thank you all for your support, I think of you all often. I wouldn't be in the place I am had I not had your support. Thank you all.

@dandy_candi Isn't it great when you see measurable progress? Being able to do something so simple like stepping over that barrier is a huge milestone for a new hippie. Here's to reaching many more goals and getting your life back!

Oh @dandy_candi - what a lovely update. Things other people take for granted are the things we longed for and now have. We watched your awkward journey and now you've emerged on the other side.
It is quite wonderful that you have regained your life and having fun again.
:yes!: So so so happy for you! :happydance:

Yay!! I'm so glad to read you wonderful update! Your story gave me lots of hope in my "waiting" months before my surgery. And I felt so bad when you had to have your revision. But you always seemed so positive and like you could handle anything. Now that I am sitting here a bit over 3 weeks out from my surgery, you are once again giving my hope that I too will be doing all the things I love to do soon. Thanks! :)

Yay!! I'm so glad to read you wonderful update! Your story gave me lots of hope in my "waiting" months before my surgery. And I felt so bad when you had to have your revision. But you always seemed so positive and like you could handle anything. Now that I am sitting here a bit over 3 weeks out from my surgery, you are once again giving my hope that I too will be doing all the things I love to do soon. Thanks! :)

Thank you tweetybrd. I am glad my experience gave you some hope of what was to come. At the time my recovery did drag a bit but now I'm past that, time is flying. I'm going to be turning 30 in no time (coming up in April) and I am actually feeling my age now instead of 50 years older than I am. I'm still a nanna in my husbands eyes (I like vintage clothing, tea and quilting lol) but that's all good to me, as long as I don't feel like my joints are in their 80's.

Thank you everyone, so nice to have your support, in my continued recovery.
My surgeon appointment in Nov went well, he was happy and said to come back and see him in 12 months. He Also said regarding the implant that was revised, being it is plastic and my other is ceramic, the only difference is that I will have X-rays 1 year post op and then every 5 years after that to measure any change in the plastic implant. He said then they can monitor any changes and swap it out before it has any impact on me physically.

Hi @dandy_candi , it was good to catch up on your thread. You're courageous to have undergone a revision so soon, sorry that happened to you. Glad you are now out of pain and recovering well, must say, you have a wonderful attitude. Best wishes :)

Thanks for your uplifting update @dandy candi. I also understand the concept of being able to step over a barrier that you weren't able to in the past. For me it was climbing a ladder last spring 2 weekends in a row to work on the eve of our house. It caused so much hip pain I could hardly walk for a couple weeks. That's when I decided I'd rather die from hip surgery than be such a cripple. Both hips have now been replaced and I can now go up and down that ladder with ease.

There are also little things I'm also grateful for like tying my own shoes, putting on socks, clipping my toe nails, bending over and picking something off the floor, etc. These activities were not possible in my crippled state.

At your age, getting your mobility back is truly a miracle to be grateful for. Keep up the progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562