THR Maya's recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maya'sdad

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone. thank you for all the thoughts and prayers.

Maya's surgery went as scheduled last Friday 2-26. She was under for about 3½hrs, as they had to remove all the old hardware before inserting the implant. Everything went well and we are on the road to recovery. We spent 4 nights and 5 days at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. Dr Allison was fantastic! Back home now and well despite already having cabin fever.

Biggest hurdle now is avoiding injury from ill advised movements. It's hard to explain to Maya that she can't bring her knees to her chest. Abduction pillow helps with that as well as her old brace from the first surgery. We have a new brace being built which should be better suited for our current needs.

The first couple of nights were rough. I'm sure poor Maya was quite uncomfortable, but she has handled it like a champ. She's a tough little cookie this one. 3 surgeries in 9 months! By Sunday PT had her out of bed and taking a few, non weight bearing steps with her walker. We have a long road ahead yet, but I am hopeful that the third time is a charm and Maya can return to being a kid again soon.

Thank you everyone for all the support. The BoneSmart community has been outstanding.

IMG_2324.JPG

Maya with Dr. Allison

What wonderful news @Maya'sdad and Maya! :yes!: It was just a few weeks ago that I finished reading your whole story and hoped that we would hear back from you soon with happy news! And here you both are! Look at that big smile on Maya's happy face. Dad, I can see the relief on your face. The anticipation of this surgery is over. Now the road to recovery is clear to travel down!
Maya looks and sounds to be a brave and strong little solider. She can show us the way! :wink:

Keep us posted on her recovery!

Blessings,

Hello and :welome: to the other side with your sweet, brave girl! I haven't read Maya's thread, but will do so.
I'm so glad she has done well with her surgery and look forward to seeing updates on her progress.
Please tell her for me that she is a true super hero.
Good wishes to her and your family as you travel this journey. :flwrysmile:

Dad, I can see the relief on your face.
@keepmovin That's not Maya's dad. I think he must have been the one behind the camera. Look again and you will see that it's the surgeon!

The BoneSmart community has been outstanding.
@Maya'sdad that was high praise indeed! We were so proud to be able to help. And to see the outcome - fantastic!

Please tell Maya that all her BoneSmart friends are rooting for her.

Thank you all so very much. Yes, that is in fact Dr Allison in the photo with Maya, but my smile of relief was just as big. We are now cautiously optimistic and very vigil about Maya's recovery. Follow up appointment is set for March 16, at which time we will take a look at the incision. Hopefully that will all be good. I will be sure to update her progress on here. Thank you all. God Bless

Hi everyone, Maya seems to have some blood spots under her bandage. Is this normal or should I be alarmed? I'm really having to stay on top of her as she keeps wanting to scratch the incision area.

IMG_5055.JPG

@Maya'sdad I had spots where blood seeped, but not as large as the bottom one. Closer to the top two. I might send this pic to the doc. However, I did not have this type of bandage....and changed light dressings. By the way, welcome to the recovery side sweet Maya! (From the mom of another Maya!)

Thanks very much Toddlermom. I did send the photo to Maya's surgeon and he said this is very typical. We have a follow up appointment with him this Friday, so we'll know more then. Keep you all posted. Thanks

Nothing to worry about, my friend. Just some blood oozing and staining the dressing, that's all. Perfectly normal.

Hi everyone,
We had a visit with Maya's surgeon last Friday. Aside from the 1.5hr wait time and 4-hour round trip to/from the hospital, all went well. No x-rays were taken at this time but did have the dressing removed and incision checked. Everything looks good so far. Maya also received a new brace which will restrict the movement in her repaired hip. I'm hoping this brace will ease our fears about dislocation a bit. Maya doesn't quite comprehend the restrictions placed upon her (due to her Autism) so perhaps this will help. I'm rather paranoid each time she gets in/out of bed, bathroom etc. I never know if she's moving in a manner which is detrimental. Other than that, It seems we're on the right track.

@Maya'sdad! So glad to see things are going well! It sounds like a smart move to place the brace on Maya. Dislocation is the last thing you want to concern yourself with! This has to be very difficult for both of you. How long does she need the brace on? Can she get around on her own or does she need assistance?

Looking forward to further updates on Maya! :flwrysmile:

Thank you Keepmovin'. We were hoping she might have her brace off and be walking by her birthday (3-28) but not looking likely. Best we can tell, she will need to have her brace on for another 6 weeks. Are dislocations very likely with things like getting in and out of bed, car, bathroom etc?

I never had to worry about dislocations but for my next surgery I will. Maya is still in the early stages of recovery and from what I am to understand, the more surgeries one goes through, the higher the chances of dislocations because of the stress on the hip joint. Just be careful she doesn't bend at the waist or violate the 90 degree rule I'm sure her Dr. has discussed with you. This is stressful for you but the brace should help ease some of this concern.

It may feel like eternity, but the time will go by quickly and she will be walking freely very soon!:SUNsmile:

Thanks Keepmovin! I sure hope so. This poor kid has been through enough. Best of luck to you with your next surgery. Is that coming up soon?

Maya also received a new brace which will restrict the movement in her repaired hip. I'm hoping this brace will ease our fears about dislocation a bit. Maya doesn't quite comprehend the restrictions
Why on earth has she had to have a brace?
Are dislocations very likely with things like getting in and out of bed, car, bathroom etc?
No they are not. And I do urge you to get this anxiety out of your mind because you risk quietly driving yourself mad with it. Dislocations are not at all common but I am thinking perhaps that surgeon is make much of it - is he? Almost all the hip surgeons I ever worked with (in the UK) never imposed any restrictions on their THR patients and rarely had any dislocations. In fact, I'd go so far to say that over the course of my career, the number of post-THR dislocations I've seen could be counted on the fingers of one hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks