Revision TKR HELP - 16 months out and in pain<

Scheherazade

Country
United States United States
Had my BTKR this morning and I'm now in my hospital room. The surgery went well. I had to be switched over from a spinal to general anesthesia during the procedure because the spinal started to wear off or something, but I don't remember that.

I know it's early, but so far the pain is manageable. The burning from one of the tourniquets is what is bothering me the most so far, and that isn't too bad.

I got out of bed and walked to the door and back with a walker - no real problem. Also was able to do straight leg lifts pretty well, although I certainly felt it.

Hope my next post doesn't describe the onset of agony. And I hope all my fellow Feisties are (and will be) doing fine.

Yeah! Great!

Just be sure to communicate really well with your nurses about your level of pain. They will be constantly trying to get you on the right meds schedule and will need lots of feedback from you.

:wave:Congrats @Scheherazade! Was actually thinking about you today. Instead of going to surgery I was headed to my chemical stress test but knew you were probably already in recovery.
Stay on that pain!!! Anything higher than a 3....medicate it!

Scheherazade,
Welcome to the other side. Sounds like you are doing great. Stay on top of the pain.

Here is a copy of the post op reading for you, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Congratulations on making it to the other side!

Had my first PT session today - the two PTapists said I did the best they've ever seen after a bilateral. My numbers aren't great, though: 68 and 74, and 28 and 22. Oh well. That'll come.

I'll be going home on Sunday, as my insurance company, Aetna, recently started rejecting all acute care facilities for BTKRs following hospital stay. Not too upset, it will be nice to be in my own bed.

I am with you---when I walked into my own room, I felt much better!! It sounds like you are doing great---just don't get ahead of yourself. You still need lots of rest and ice and elevation.

Nice job @Scheherazade! I think I would be happier going home instead of a rehab place too. Seems like a rehab place is just another hospital. You will be much more comfortable at home. Remember to rest, rest and rest. Oh and ice too! :sleep: :ice:

Nice job @Scheherazade! I think I would be happier going home instead of a rehab place too. Seems like a rehab place is just another hospital. You will be much more comfortable at home. Remember to rest, rest and rest. Oh and ice too! :sleep: :ice:

Of course going home is best but rehabs can be good. I had an excellent experience last spring in a rehab facility. Everyone was so nice and the food was good! It can be a good alternative if you do not have the help you need when going home. I will be heading back there right after my knee replacement.

@Scheherazade happy to read you are on the other side and doing well.!

@webbie73 you are right. I would consider rehab if I wasn't lucky enough to have my hubby home full time. When we first started discussing this surgery he hadn't retired and I was thinking of rehab as an alternative. So I stand corrected and so glad to hear you had a good experience!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Congratulations @Scheherazade on your two new knees!! Seems like you are doing great! For the tourniquet pain I asked the nurses for ice packs and I apply them to my pain site and it really helped a lot. I hope that helps you as I'd did to me! Keep us posted on your progress.

Lili

Congrats on making it to the other side. Wishing you days filled with rest, ice and elevation as well as nights filled with good sleep!

Good to hear you're doing so well but do make sure you go gently and don't do too many exercises - certainly none that cause you pain! Rest is your best friend now.

Surgery was Thursday morning and they are releasing me tomorrow. I'm doing really all - had one 10 minutes of 7 on the pain scale, otherwise I've been below a 5. I hate having to call people whenever I have to go to the bathroom, but that will be over soon also. I am so grateful for all of your help throughout this process!!

I asked the nurse at what point they would let me get up and use my bedside commode on my own, and was told the PT could okay it. And she did. Made things a little bit better.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks