TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

So glad you had a great trip and that your knees did not hold you back - I am so looking forward to my Barcelona to Venice Mediteranian cruise next March - at that time my right knee will be 15 months old and my left knee will be 11 months old - Right now my left knee is 6-1/2 weeks old and is doing great - right knee is 6 months old - I can't believe the difference between pre TKR and post TKR - no pain when walking - just the usual swelling and stiffness issues when I do too much - I am now moving forward with my life (although slowly since my left knee is still very early in recovery) and I am so grateful for you and all the other bonesmart posters who went before me - even though my recovery has been pretty easy compared to a lot of people this site saved my sanity and gave me hope in those early days -

So glad you had a great trip and that your knees did not hold you back - I am so looking forward to my Barcelona to Venice Mediteranian cruise next March - at that time my right knee will be 15 months old and my left knee will be 11 months old - Right now my left knee is 6-1/2 weeks old and is doing great - right knee is 6 months old - I can't believe the difference between pre TKR and post TKR - no pain when walking - just the usual swelling and stiffness issues when I do too much - I am now moving forward with my life (although slowly since my left knee is still very early in recovery) and I am so grateful for you and all the other bonesmart posters who went before me - even though my recovery has been pretty easy compared to a lot of people this site saved my sanity and gave me hope in those early days -

You'll do great! I still have some stiffness too but it gets better little by little all the time. And it sure beats the awful bone on bone pain, right?

Your cruise should be fantastic. We were in Venice and I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back sometime. It is just so beautiful and interesting. If you have some time there be sure and wander around, get lost, have lunch or dinner at one of the off the beaten path places. We had some really wonderful and tasty food there.

Two of my favorite pictures my husband took while we were in Venice. Something to tide you over till you get there :)

ai60.tinypic.com_2rfqbfo.jpg

ai60.tinypic.com_oqg12x.jpg

Hi Janet!
Great to hear from you and so happy you're doing so well!
I'm about 4.5 months out from my LTKR and have some early morning achiness, but loving my new knee! :dancy:

Janet thank you for those pics - they do wet my appetite - I can't wait for this trip - in fact whenever I get a "down day" I just think of where I will be in March 2016 and it perks me up right away - This is truly a trip of a lifetime for me and one of the things I am looking forward to is going to Rome and other places where my brother (recently deceased) spent time and took pics back in the late 1960s and early 1970s - My friend is a photographer and she is going to take pics in the exact same spot as his pics and then, with the magic of photography have us both appear in the picture - something that will be really special.

My they look grand I almost burst into song, just one cornetto, really good to hear you are doing well

Legin THR Sep 14

@gr82cu2 Lovely photos! Venice is so magical! I think you could go back every year for years and still find new things to see.

I wondered how your holiday had gone. Sounds as if you had a good time and the knees were good too. I'm really glad that it all worked out as planned.

We're off to France and then onto Switzerland on Sunday. Hope the weather is better than at home just now.

Best regards

Thank you everyone for the compliments on the pictures :)

@SuperSnapper Have a glorious time! We had beautiful weather through our whole 5 weeks until the last day and it poured rain in Rome. We surely can't complain. Switzerland is on my radar for a future visit. Have fun!

@spihaven Whoo! It's almost time for your trip. Have a great time. We're headed back in April again :)

Ok, little update so I can stay within guidelines and then I have amazing news to share with you all :)

I'm doing pretty darn good! Not perfect but pretty good. I still have a bruised feeling along the length of my shins that gets better and worse but never completely goes away. My calves and hamstrings bother me quite a lot but surprisingly my quads feel great. Over the past few months I have had 2 mysterious periods of swelling that developed overnight in both knees at the same time. I hadn't done anything unusual to cause it and my OS was at a loss for why it happened. I have great ROM in both knees with the left being slightly better than the right. My right knee had been stubborn in the beginning in going to 0 extension but that resolved during our trip to Europe last year. We walked and walked and walked on that trip and I stayed conscience of completely straightening that leg and that seemed to ultimately do the trick. I do still have a feeling that my right leg is longer than my left and I don't think it's my imagination. However, there is zero chance I would ever let anyone mess with these knees again so I just deal with it. I feel it is off about 1/4 inch or so and just that little bit really bothers me when I'm standing still. I got a set of thicker insole inserts and put one in my left shoe which helped a little, I guess. I still have not had a single day without thinking about my knees and wonder if it will always be this way. I keep thinking one day I'll get so used to the way they feel now that I won't think about it anymore but so far, that hasn't happened. Still, it's all better than the grinding bone on bone pain and the locking knees that constantly tried to trip me up!

Now, for the amazing news!!! :) :) :) I'm going to be a grandma this summer! Woot! Woot! Our son and his wife are having triplets!!! Two girls and a boy are on the way. Mama and babes are doing great so far. We're so excited we can hardly stand it. Hopefully they won't make an appearance until mid June at least. We know they will be small and born premature. That's a given but we're sure hoping they are big enough and lungs developed enough that their time in the NICU will be brief. Wish us luck!

Oh Janet, that's wonderful news! Something to really look forward to and you will be recovered enough to help and enjoy those grandbabies. I hope they stay inside until they're grown enough.

Oh Janet, that's wonderful news! Something to really look forward to and you will be recovered enough to help and enjoy those grandbabies. I hope they stay inside until they're grown enough.

Thanks Celle! We're at 18 weeks, 6 days right now. In another 10 weeks we can breathe. They really need to make it to 28 weeks and 32 would be better. I have a feeling they are going to be just the thing I need to forget about my knees! I can't wait :)

@gr82cu2 What wonderful news . You certainly will not have time to worry about knees! I'm glad to hear you are going on well. My partial replacement is great and I hardly ever think about it.

@gr82cu2 I found your post to me and thought I would get in touch as we have the same problems. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has been massaging my legs as she says my muscles are tight and knotted which is why they feel so painful. She has referred me on to a masseur and I have an appointment for next week. I have been given some gentle stretching exercises to loosen by calf muscles and hamstrings, and I have bought a small hand massager which seems to help. The weather here is really cold and we have had winds of 45/50 miles an hour which have been terrible to walk in especially as we live on a hill.

I find that when they are very tight then a hot water bottle or heat pad helps a lot, to help them relax. It is so disappointing having gone through so much to have pain somewhere else. As to under my knees, I don't know what causes that. It seems to be where the soft tissue was disturbed during the op, but maybe the tight muscles are making it far worse. Keep in touch, and let me know if you come across a cure, I will do the same.

@Majic It sounds like you live where I live, haha! Today it is just below freezing, very windy and snowing. It's hard to walk in cold weather I've found because the metal implants get so cold which in turn makes my legs ache. I sure wish I would have saved some leg warmers from the 80's :)

Another place I have a lot of tenderness still is behind my knees, in the crease area. I can't stand to be touched there or to rest my legs so that area is touching. If I do, it aches.

Even though improvements are very slowly continuing, frankly, I'm over it! My OS promised by 1 year I would be sooooo happy and when I wasn't he said to wait till 2 years. Well, now I'm creeping up on that with my left knee at least and still some lingering problems although it is better than my right knee which is now about 15 months old. I think I'm just one of the slow healers. At least I never had any complications requiring MUA or scar tissue removal so I try to remind myself and be grateful for that.

Let me know how the massage works out for you and if you get relief from it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads