THR Two Years Post THR and Life is Great!

Granny Di

senior
Country
Canada Canada
I am home with my new hip and wondering when the swelling usually goes down. My surgeon said my swelling was not bad at all compared to most of his patients, so I wonder what length of time it takes generally for the swelling to subside. I gained 10 pounds!
I have been reading some of the posts and they are very helpful. I am a 68 year old female who came home on Thursday after surgery Monday. I am walking with a walker, taking tylenol for pain, sleeping pretty well, but I don't have much appetite.

I read a few complaints about constipation but did not see any posts recommending senokot which works wonders.

Swelling was a one to two week problem for me. Just had my second hip done on the 16th. The swelling has been in the thigh and hip. It was quite large for 3 or 4 days. I would lie down and elevate my leg for an hour and a half in the morning and again in the afternoon. The first hip was similar but swelling went clear to my toes. Some form of swelling will exist for quite a while. When it happens, lie down and elevate.

Welcome to BoneSmart @Granny Di You might find me honest to the point of being blunt but don't read anything into that! I just believe in speaking the truth!

So dear me - only 5 days out and worried about swelling already! Well things don't get better that quickly, my dear. It very much depends upon the person but it can be like that for some weeks.

Here's some reading for you - all quality stuff so read carefully!

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am home with my new hip and wondering when the swelling usually goes down. My surgeon said my swelling was not bad at all compared to most of his patients, so I wonder what length of time it takes generally for the swelling to subside. I gained 10 pounds!
I have been reading some of the posts and they are very helpful. I am a 68 year old female who came home on Thursday after surgery Monday. I am walking with a walker, taking tylenol for pain, sleeping pretty well, but I don't have much appetite.

I read a few complaints about constipation but did not see any posts recommending senokot which works wonders.

constipation comes with taking the pain meds and if you're not taking pain meds the constipation is probably from you not eating enough if you don't have an appetite you're not going to be able to go to the bathroom but if you are on any pain meds what everyone has been telling me is to take prunes or prune juice I take miralax and a stool softener when needed but I love the prunes and your waking is a combination probably from water retention because of the swelling in your hip as well as probably from being sedentary I've gained weight too and very depressed but I'm slowly getting back to working out and walking again and the swelling depends on everybody's different I have swelling and I'm day 12 so it comes and goes just keep icing it and resting it and moving it to an appropriate level

Thank you so much for your prompt replies. I know I have to be a patient patient but I wasn't aware of just how long the swelling would last. Good to know it comes and goes. The information on this forum is excellent.
Cheers!

@
Good on you @Granny Di! Sounds like amazing progress to me, very inspiring for us pre-op relations! As long as it isn't my double chin that swells, I know what to expect now..:SUNsmile:

HI! This forum is so helpful with lots of good humour too. I had a friend visit yesterday and I sat for too long and had awful swelling that scared me. So today I am following the recommended procedure here of limited exercise, rest, elevate, ice, regular meds - and I will be more assertive with guests.

I am (or was) in very good shape until I had to sit for 4 months waiting for my operation but I did do gentle sit-ups, leg raises, granny pushups etc before so I do have strength which has been helpful. I Highly recommend doing whatever strengthening exercises you can before you go in. I don't know how old people (especially overweight ones) can handle recovery.
Good luck with your operation. It won't be long now -that's the same day I get my staples out. I watched the op on youtube and was not at all nervous but I was nervous about AFTER and being able to sleep on my back but it has been okay. I worried for nothing,
Anyhow good luck. I will keep in touch as we are close together time wise.
Diane

:scratch::shrug:i def agree with doing pre op exercises to strengthen the stabilizer muscles around the hip and as well contine with pt after. i am so amazed and thumbs up to all physical therapists. they rock!! as for getting out of shape i am very sad as too how much i have lost in muscle but i am now day 13th and have done exercises around my house as well as walking on treadmill and now slowly working back to my gym and going to incorporate biking indoors, and my continual walking as well as weight training. this is the only things that makes me feel awesome. yes i know that i need to take it slow and ease back into it. i do agree and find that when i don't move around or when sleeping or resting my joint definitely stiffens up and wow swells a bit but why??

The main reason we don't recommend laxative products like Senokot is that it is not a product that should be taken for any length of time as it has stimulant properties. Stimulants, if used with any regularity, can make your system dependent upon them to function properly. A much better alternative are natural items like prunes or prune juice or stool softeners. When choosing any product to help with constipation, it's best to steer clear of anything that has the word "stimulant" on the label anywhere.

going to incorporate biking indoors,
@healthgal46 A friend just dropped off a stationary bike but I have not talked to my physio about using it. I know I am not ready yet as it is only a week since my op. When do you think you will be able to start biking? I am not sure how to reply to a person on this forum as it is different from others I have used so I hope you see this. You are young so will recover quickly. I haven't checked your profile but will now. Wish I was 46 again!
Diane

Congrats on your hip! I am up in two weeks five days. Not that I am counting. Lol . Please continue with your recovery notes. Hope your swelling is improving.

@healthgal46 A friend just dropped off a stationary bike but I have not talked to my physio about using it. I know I am not ready yet as it is only a week since my op. When do you think you will be able to start biking? I am not sure how to reply to a person on this forum as it is different from others I have used so I hope you see this. You are young so will recover quickly. I haven't checked your profile but will now. Wish I was 46 again!
Diane

Hi @Granny Di. Diane - sounds like everything is going to plan for you. In terms of swelling my firm belief is in lots and lots of icing/cold therapy. I would notice if I didn't sleep with my cold therapy machine running I would wake up with a third butt cheek (at the side) in the mornings!

Just wanted to add my thoughts on the biking. Other users on here have said that biking, with no resistance, will be fine. My experience was that biking irritated my iliopsoas tendon and seemed to bring on a bout of tendinitis but, then again, I probably went at it with too much gusto, as I do most things :snork:. I didn't jump on a bike until I was about 6 weeks out of surgery, there's certainly no need to rush, do just take it very slow and steady and listen out for any 'messages'.

Hi Clare
I was thinking that it would be a few weeks before I would try the bike and your tip about biking without resistance is appreciated. I do have some back issues too so it all has to settle out.
After sitting for 4 months it will take a while to get back some strength. Fatigue comes so easily now.

Diane

well today is my 2 week post op apt and my home pt said that biking the normal bike upright ones at the gym like said that not doing hard resistance and pedaling like a crazy woman will be good to get those muscles stabilized and used to it as well as the recumbent bike., they both work different muscles of the legs. i will be adjusting and trying new things to it this week. back to gym today yeah!!! but yes all will be taking it slow. but i am so proud of myself that i am 2 weeks out today and doing good, but it is very hard to stay ahead and remind myself you need to go slow and get back into it you had major surgery not just minor and you cant jump back into things like you want. i am a very stubborn, dedicated, driven and at times hard headed gal. i am wanting to be back to my norm now but i am getting in my head that i will be back to my norm before i know it. hugs all! and thank you for all your great support.

When do you think you will be able to start biking?
You will need to discuss this with your surgeon. Every hip replacement is different as is every recovery. Some surgeons require restrictions - others don't. Still early days for you!

Hi @Granny Di
From my vast experience of one hip op(!), I would say do not get to heavily involved in the stationary bike unless you really want to. I followed the idea that to recover the hip needs little more than walking and true to form this has worked for me, no sweat involved!!

Best wishes for a good recovery
X

Hi @copsham
Thanks for your input. I do want to do a lot of biking this summer but I won't be rushing it. Right now I am dealing with this greatly swollen foot. My upper leg is looking much better but my lower leg and the foot are really swollen and tight. Very bothersome. Nice to see someone closer to my age - I am surprised to see so many younger folks posting as they seem more inclined to operate on people in their 70ies and 80ies here.
The biking is more for cardio as I am a cross country skier and I want to be ready for next winter.
Diane

Good morning on Day 9 post op and sorry to say that I am not having a good day. I was quite dizzy when I woke up, managed breakfast and then threw it up. My blood pressure is good so I think it must be the tylenol 3s. I am changing to extra strength tylenol. My foot and lower leg are still swollen although my thigh looks pretty good.
Oh how I would love to be able to go outside for fresh air and sunshine! Still too much snow and ice here so that won't be possible for a while.

Oh how I would love to be able to go outside for fresh air and sunshine!
You'll get there my friend. Still early days.

Be sure and eat something before taking any pain meds. And if you are still nauseous ask your family doc for some anti-nausea medication.

Hello to anyone who happens upon this thread. I am having a much better day having finally visited the toilet three times. haha I spent some time following copshams thread and there was lots of anxiety relieving info posted and humour too.
I have stopped the tylenol 3s which are so darn constipating and taking plain tylenol without codeine now.
There is still much too much snow to go outside and it was minus 20 Celsius this morning so it will be a while before I can get outside for a walk. So I do my walking with my walker through my little house for 5 minutes at a time. Then I elevate. The problem I have is that my feet get cold when I ice so I end up getting a heating pad on my feet. :sad: I am a cross country skier and I never get cold feet even at minus 20 Celsius.
Reading Bonesmart has alleviated many of my concerns but this is one problem (minor) that I have not seen mentioned.
Thanks to all for sharing your recovery tidbits as it is very helpful.
Diane

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks