Had a meeting with the Dr. that arranges after surgery plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamabash

Country
United States United States
I had every intention of coming home after being discharged from the hospital, but she highly suggested going to a short term rehab facility for a week or so. Since I am hoping to get my right knee done shortly after my left, she said it would be better.
I am bow-legged from the arthritis. She said once the left knee is done, it will be straight and I will feel a bit off balance until I get the right one done (hopefully within a couple months). Did anyone else experience this?
Now I have everything arranged and good to go as soon as my PCP checks my tests and gives me her blessing. I am sort of holding my breath, as the EKG found Inferior infarct. Everything else, as far as I can tell is perfect, so keeping my fingers crossed that surgery won't be postponed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope all goes well, and you are soon on your way to a TKR.

Just make sure she doesn't have any financial interest in the rehab place. Seriously. I hate being so cynical, but those places make a ton of money off rehab. On the plus side, they will put you through your paces on exercise!
Also, double-check that your insurance will cover it and your deductible isn't too high. Mine wouldn't cover anything -- said there was no medical reason, though I wasn't having back-to-back replacements. (I looked into it because my surgery/surgeries were in the middle of winter and I didn't want us to have to mess with driving in the ice/snow if we got a Snowpocalypse.) (And my husband is a lousy cook -- good intentions, but ... )
As for straight legs: I had terrible knock knees, and yes, I a little gimpy in the interim year it took to do the second knee. I love having straight legs!

I am bow-legged from the arthritis. She said once the left knee is done, it will be straight and I will feel a bit off balance until I get the right one done (hopefully within a couple months). Did anyone else experience this?
I had BTKR and bow legs now straight. Wonderful!!

Can you get either BTKR or them done very close together? Two months is to give you a 'strong' TKR leg, but do you really need that?

BTKR gives you just one recovery and no danger of your gait being 'out'. If your doc won't do BTKR then ask if you can have them just a few days apart. It's effectively the same from the recovery point of view - and the start to end of your full surgery/recovery programme is two months shorter.

Just make sure she doesn't have any financial interest in the rehab place. Seriously. I hate being so cynical, but those places make a ton of money off rehab. On the plus side, they will put you through your paces on exercise!
Also, double-check that your insurance will cover it and your deductible isn't too high. Mine wouldn't cover anything -- said there was no medical reason, though I wasn't having back-to-back replacements. (I looked into it because my surgery/surgeries were in the middle of winter and I didn't want us to have to mess with driving in the ice/snow if we got a Snowpocalypse.) (And my husband is a lousy cook -- good intentions, but ... )
As for straight legs: I had terrible knock knees, and yes, I a little gimpy in the interim year it took to do the second knee. I love having straight legs!

Thank you for your reply. Luckily, we have amazing insurance. Unfortunately, I didn't take advantage of it very much before now. That's why I am nervous about the EKG. It should have been done years ago. The facility I chose was one I am familiar with, not sure if the hospital or surgeon has any affiliation, but it was my choice where to go.---The weather concerns me as well. Haha, they asked me if my husband would be taking care of my laundry! Ummmmm...no! I would rather our children take care of that. He can heat up a mean can of soup and I have the freezer loaded with premade meals.
I am just a wreck right now waiting for PCP clearance. Everything is falling so nicely into place, that I am almost waiting for a glitch.

My left leg bowed out and my calf shrunk over time and I developed a side to side rolling walk with my head down....all gone with straight legs ..I walk with my head up probably because I am smiling all the time....life is great with my new knees.........

Vinny

I had bowed legs and, after my BTKR, I gained an inch of height and had to purchase new pairs of pants.

I also went to the rehab floor after my BTKR---it was a no-brainer, for me, as I was not ready yet to return home, so the rehab floor (same hospital where the BTKR was performed,) took care of getting me started on recovery.

Rehab facilities can be a great place to stage a transition between the hospital and the home.

I had bowed legs and, after my BTKR, I gained an inch of height and had to purchase new pairs of pants.

I also went to the rehab floor after my BTKR---it was a no-brainer, for me, as I was not ready yet to return home, so the rehab floor (same hospital where the BTKR was performed,) took care of getting me started on recovery.

Rehab facilities can be a great place to stage a transition between the hospital and the home.

When I got measured at my pre-op exam, I was 1 inch shorter than I used to be! So I know what you mean. Hoping I am back up to my 5'3" self in no time. Plus, my BMI will be better. ;)

After the surgery and into recovery, I put on a pair of paints and noticed that they were pretty close to what we would have called "flood pants" or "high water pants" back in my younger days...

I found I could reach stuff on high shelves that I couldn't reach pre op.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom