Arkansas Hip Revised

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARHip

senior
Country
United States United States
Surgery went well. Exparel was used before they closed me up, which is WONDERFUL! Very little pain or discomfort. I will give update and some interesting details as time goes on. Now just relaxing with family around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news!!! Here are the basic recovery articles from our BoneSmart Library for you to read. Please continue to let us know how you're doing!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

"Disclaimer: All patients are different and have varying degrees of disability prior to surgery, as well as inherent differences in their overall capabilities. The outcomes described herein speak for the majority of patients withnormal hip deterioration and average capabilities for their age group."

I will see Dr. Newbern later today to hear first-hand what he found. He did tell my wife that the damage from cobalt was more extensive than he expected.

The only complication yesterday was that my right eye was either scratched or there was something in it. It hurt VERY bad and until a tight patch was placed, I had to keep both eyes closed. It began to stop hurting yesterday evening and I removed the patch this morning. My depth perception was terrible. I hope there are no more weird complications.

Arhip,

Was your hip modular or did they need to disconnect from the bone? Glad that you had that problematic metal removed so you can restart your healing.

Z

Z, it is modular. Removed metal head, put in ceramic with the hard plastic over the ceramic head. I'll post more details after I see Dr.

• Informative
Reactions: Z15
Recently spoke to my surgeon. He was very pleased with the surgery. He removed a significant amount of muscle tissue from around the joint. Bursa on right side of the hip (right hip) also was effected. He suspects this is were most of my pain was coming from. As he investigated the prosthetic cup, he found tunneling (erosion) behind it. It was still firm in the pelvis, but heading for loosening. He injected about 50cc of bone graft material into the crevices. All the damage of course is from the cobalt abrasion as result of the metal-on-metal joint.

My joint is modular. Surgeon was able to remove the Cobalt-Chromium-Nickel femoral head from the Titanium post. He replaced it with a ceramic femoral head. He explained that over the ceramic head was a plastic "swivel" (can't remember the technical name - but it is a harder plastic than what they had 10 years ago - when I had this metal-on-metal hip placed). This swivel rests in the old cup that remains in the pelvis. This cup has two layers, Titanium which the bone grows into, and on the joint side is the Cobalt-Chromium-Nickel layer which the plastic layer (over the ceramic ball joint) rests against. Right now, I must trust the doctor that this Cobalt layer will not give any trouble, since it rests against the plastic. Hope, hope, hope, hope ... with my real trust in Jesus.

That may be a relatively good written description of what is inside of me, for those who want to know.

For those who are still reading and are unaware of my background, I received a metal-on-metal joint 10 years ago. Pain began about 2 years ago with elevated Cobalt levels in the blood. Cobalt, when it abrades, tends to dissolve soft tissue and bone.

AND for those still reading and are afraid of upcoming surgery, I'm now a little over 24 hours post-surgery, writing this (thinking relatively clear). Yes, yesterday, I walked into the hospital (but in pain) and now I'm using a walker. I have a CECT system massaging my calves (but no TED socks or cumiden). I have controlled pain (with Oxycodine), BUT I have the hope of walking unaided in a few weeks with little to no pain! This is more than worth it! It is nearly a miracle! I'm off work longer than I like - but that's just the price to pay for freedom and a return to life. Fear is natural, but do not let fear turn you away from healing.

Go for it!

Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you are on the mend. It sounds like things went really well for you. Please continue to let us know how you're getting along!

Just catching up with your thread. Well done! Rest, ice, ..... you know the drill. So glad you are on your way!

That was a good thread to read, thanks @Jaycey . And, you have made some wise (but not so yummy) choices.
Glad you are home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member