TKR Calf pain 6 weeks after TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkb931

Country
United States United States
The day of surgery I had horrible calf to ankle pain and no one seems to know why! It is now 6 weeks post-op and the pain continues. I am up to 103 degrees bending but still at 2 degrees for flat. I didn't get pain meds for the first 2 days because I had a nerve block so the calf pain was HORRIBLE! I have asked the OS, PT and anyone else what to do and no one seems to know.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am still on Hydrocodone 2 times a day. I have tried muscle relaxants and no relief.
Thanks

I'm assuming you were checked for a possible blot clot, right?? Is the pain constant, when you move or walk, or just periodic? Have you tried putting heat or ice on your calf?

I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_nonofisss.gif
)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?

I'll be back! :wink:

I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_nonofisss.gif
)I would say about 3 most of the time but at night about 7.

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often? I am on Hydrocodone/acetaminophen 5-325 1 every 4 hours, but I usually take 1 in am then 2 at bedtime. But was told I can not get any more refills, so after this week I will not have any pain meds.

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long? I am not icing knee now, the knee itself doesn't hurt

4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long? I elevate my leg as often as possible, but I am not sitting that much now.

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

I am doing everything I did prior to surgery. All the housework, cooking etc..
6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often? I have been in PT 3 X weekly since surgery. And just started 2 X weekly because Insurance will only allow 2 more visits. It is a PT that does alot os hands on work. I also ride a stationary bike 3 to 4 times a day for 10 min.

I'll be back! :wink:

But was told I can not get any more refills, so after this week I will not have any pain meds.
Have a word with your GP and see if he will help. It's been my observation that they will often step in where the OS steps out! You could also try taking Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day. It should be adequate for you now though you will obviously need something extra at night. It's not uncommon for knees to hurt more at night for some reason - no-one knows why. But try this as well Moist heat.

I'm assuming you were checked for a possible blot clot, right?? Is the pain constant, when you move or walk, or just periodic? Have you tried putting heat or ice on your calf?
Yes, there is no blood clot.
The pain is constant, in the back of my leg towards the inside. It goes from right below the knee to my ankle. I also have bruises that are just showing up around my ankle too.
It is just weird that not one dr can tell me why the calf hurts.
Thanks

KK, I am puzzled now. You've said this ...
The day of surgery I had horrible calf to ankle pain and no one seems to know why! It is now 6 weeks post-op and the pain continues.
The pain is constant, in the back of my leg towards the inside. It goes from right below the knee to my ankle. I also have bruises that are just showing up around my ankle too.
Yet when I asked you what your level of pain was you said this ...
I would say about 3 most of the time but at night about 7.
You made it sound like it was mild but getting worse at night as it often does. This doesn't equate with "horrible calf to ankle pain" and "constant pain". Which leads me to ask why you didn't include this when you answered my questions? :scratch:

Sorry, The pain right after surgery in my calf to my ankle was HORRIBLE and it was not addressed and since I had a nerve block they didn't give me ANY meds for 2 days. No one seemed interested in the fact that I had such pain in my calf and not my knee.

It is now 6 weeks post -op and the pain is constant in my calf to my ankle. It is a 3 during the day and 7 or 8 at night. I am not back to work yet but I am up and about most of the day. My calf is stiff and tight all the time, the pain is (I think) from being stiff even though I am up walking and exercising it everyday.

I am just trying to find out if ANYONE has had such pain in the calf. My knee hardly hurts.

Hi i had terrible calf pain too all the way down to my ankle, shin, even my big toe some days and about 6-7 weeks after TKR it just cleared up. i even thought i had DVT and they ultrasounded it - i didn't phew! it was really a pain haha but so frustrating it hurt more than my knee too. Good luck now i have a wierd pain on the ourside of my replaced knee hope that clears up too:angel: oh and i forgot on my surgery leg i could have sworn the veins were sticking out more than the other one.

Hi i had terrible calf pain too all the way down to my ankle, shin, even my big toe some days and about 6-7 weeks after TKR it just cleared up. i even thought i had DVT and they ultrasounded it - i didn't phew! it was really a pain haha but so frustrating it hurt more than my knee too. Good luck now i have a wierd pain on the ourside of my replaced knee hope that clears up too:angel: oh and i forgot on my surgery leg i could have sworn the veins were sticking out more than the other one.

So glad to find one other person that

had calf pain. Mine also goes to the ankle, hoping it will leave soon... My PT does some deep massage and that helps for a few days!! The outside of my knee is just now becoming feelable again. Meaning I can actually feel when I touch it.
Thanks for writing, now I don't feel like a crazy person. As NO ONE has ever heard of the calf pain before.

Hi how is your calf pain? earlier i said mine went away after awhile but its baaacckk. i have no idea why maybe im doing more? also my GP wants to cut off my meds. but mine sounds the same as yours the calf and down to the ankle and im at 11 weeks. hope yours is getting better:puppysmooze:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back