Glenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenda

Hi there from England,
I say your TKR after care sounds much better over in the USA. I had TKR exactly 6 weeks ago was in hospital 2 days post Op and only one Physio visit since only given Tramadol for two weeks now only Paracetamol. Climbing the wall with pain especially at night cant sleep and been back at work two weeks now and really feeling that I wish I had not bothered having the op.
Any suggestions please

Glen

Glenda,
Hi there from Florida.
I don't know about your health care system but it sounds to me like you need to seek out the advise of another surgeon. I was taking Tramadol for the arthritis pain prior to the TKR. My Dr. told me it wouldn't handle the post op. discomfort.
I can only imagine the discomfort you must be in.
Perhaps Josephine can give her sage advise.

Hi Glenda - some questions ...

- did you have a mini surgery TKR and a half knee or unicompartmental?

- who gave you the paracetamol, the hospital or your GP?

- have you seen your GP since the op?

- if you have seen your GP has he not discuss more physio with you (or yoiu with him)?

- which hospital/surgeon carried out your op?

Welcome Glenda, where about are you in UK?

I have lived in Canada for 18 years, but am originally from UK. I know the NHS and it is a disgusting service there compared to here. I know they never give enough physio there. My mum and formerly my grandma ,never recovered fully from their hip replacements because of lack of physio. My aunt too now, she can't walk more than 2 steps after about a year. If you can afford it, get yourself a physiotherapist. Make sure you do as many exercises as you can yourself.

Try going to your doctor and ask him firmly if you could possibly have Percocet, or if the Tramadol worked for you ask for that ,but you definately need something stronger than Paracetamol (this is like regular strength Tylanol North American friends!!)

Unfortunately the sleepless nights are common, look at a lot of other threads. If you wake, jump on the puter and see if anyone is online. Remember we are quite a few hours behind you, 5 here in Ontario.

If you have no joy with the meds, then if you can take Ibuprofen safely (Advil) try these instead of Paracetamol as they are also an anti inflammatory. But do try your doctor first. Well good luck, it is about 12.20pm there now.

Hopefully Josephine will be able to advise you soon, she lives in the UK.

Good luck, Sue

Glenda, you poor baby! I feel so badly for you!!! PLEASE, PLEASE take Josephine's advice and see your Dr. immediately. YOU NEED PERCOCET!!!!! If you can't get proper Physical Therapy, surely we can talk you through lots of it. You'll have to put your ALL into it since you won't have a "taskmaster". I've already sent up a prayer for you and will continue to.

I hope something wonderful happens to you this morning!!!
Patti

Hi Glenda - some questions ...

- did you have a mini surgery TKR and a half knee or unicompartmental?

- who gave you the paracetamol, the hospital or your GP?

- have you seen your GP since the op?

- if you have seen your GP has he not discuss more physio with you (or yoiu with him)?

- which hospital/surgeon carried out your op?

Hi Josephine

I had a Total Knee replacement (that is all I know it as) Mr Rowles performed the op at the Nuffield Derby. I was discharged on Tramadol for 5 Days and I had to beg my GP via phone (they or their nurses no longer to post operative visits) for more pain relief which he gave me 2 Slow release a day for 14 days then to take Paracetamol I cannot take Ibrufen I am allergic to it. I have since been to a private Physio twice who did physio and accupuncture which I found good in the short term. I just dont know what to do from here.

Welcome Glenda, where about are you in UK?

I have lived in Canada for 18 years, but am originally from UK. I know the NHS and it is a disgusting service there compared to here. I know they never give enough physio there. My mum and formerly my grandma ,never recovered fully from their hip replacements because of lack of physio. My aunt too now, she can't walk more than 2 steps after about a year. If you can afford it, get yourself a physiotherapist. Make sure you do as many exercises as you can yourself.

Try going to your doctor and ask him firmly if you could possibly have Percocet, or if the Tramadol worked for you ask for that ,but you definately need something stronger than Paracetamol (this is like regular strength Tylanol North American friends!!)

Unfortunately the sleepless nights are common, look at a lot of other threads. If you wake, jump on the puter and see if anyone is online. Remember we are quite a few hours behind you, 5 here in Ontario.

If you have no joy with the meds, then if you can take Ibuprofen safely (Advil) try these instead of Paracetamol as they are also an anti inflammatory. But do try your doctor first. Well good luck, it is about 12.20pm there now.

Hopefully Josephine will be able to advise you soon, she lives in the UK.

Good luck, Sue

Thanks Sue

Josephine been in touch I live in Derbyshire, Where do you originate from.
I feel I am getting paranoid I was told I would be able to drive after 6 weeks but dare not even try. I am allergic to Brufen unfortunately but feel that I must get back in touch with doctor. thanks anyway
Take care kind regards
Glenda

Glenda,
Hi there from Florida.
I don't know about your health care system but it sounds to me like you need to seek out the advise of another surgeon. I was taking Tramadol for the arthritis pain prior to the TKR. My Dr. told me it wouldn't handle the post op. discomfort.
I can only imagine the discomfort you must be in.
Perhaps Josephine can give her sage advise.

Thanks Doug Josephine as been in Touch

Glenda

So you phoned the surgery for a script? You have to either get him to visit or get yourself to the surgery. He needs to see how much pain you are in. This is inhumane of him to deprive you of pain relief this soon.

I know the Derby crew by reputation. I am sure if you got in touch with Mr Rowles he would help you. Ring his secretary and ask her to give him a message if your GP doesn't do the biz. You need some dihydrocodeine, co-codomol or codeine phosphate, in my humble opinion.

Hi Glenda. You must be the strongest person in the UK. I dont understand why your OS didnt order PT and give you something stronger than Tramadol. You need pain management and you need to move that new knee to get the muscle built back up. I dont know how your bearing the pain! Please call your OS or your family Doctor, or change Doctors like I did. I said a prayer for you that your pain my deminish or be managed.
Godspeed in your recovery,
Chuck

Josephine knows here stuff. Keep at the doctors until they give you what you need. Sometimes you just have to be the squeaky wheel to get the grease. I'm praying for relief from pain and for the appropriate physical therapy to get you back to 100% as soon as possible. We're all with you and know your pain and frustrations. God bless your day/night!

Skeet

I am so lucky to have the OS that I used. I've known him for a few years as he's the Team OS for the college football team that my son played for. As most college football players (especially Olinemen), my son had a couple of surgeries and we were ALWAYS pleased with the outcome of the surgery, the care, the compassion, the going WAY beyond to insure that my son was healthy, that his team of surgeons provided. This dude researched and called one of the NFL team trainers to find out what the best techniques were used to get an olineman from MAJOR spine surgery to being back on the field - people, a few years ago that was unheard of!!! They were very successful with my son. We still can't believe it! SO...I really had my foot in the door when it came to choosing my surgeon. My son actually took me for my very first visit......there was hugging/catching up/football talk/shootin' the bull -----THEN-they finally go around to looking at me. He's taken especially great care of me...more than I could ever imagine. I hope everyone got the "personalized" care that I got. When I go to my OS visits....the nurse hugs me...the PA hugs me....the team Head Trainer stops in and hugs me....then the surgeon comes in and hugs me. The first visit when I had my staples removed, I sat on the table and bent my (non-operative) leg to it's maximum so when he walked in I said...."Can you believe the bend I have in only 10 days?????...his jaw dropped!!...then a few seconds later he realized that I was "monkeying" with him.

wow...what useless info....

just wanted to share!

I have no doubt that your smile and good looks have a little something to do with your 'special treatment' as well. Me and Doug are lucky to be alive. No offense Doug.

Hey Glenda, I was born in Hertfordshire, brought up in Essex, then lived in Kent, Birminghan, Derbyshire(a small village Coton-in-the-Elms, think it is now known as being in Staffordshire), Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, then back to Kent, before we emigrated here. Where in Derbyshire are you?

Keep on bugging those doctors (or their damn obstinate secretaries, as I remember them being ) until they give you the pain meds you need. Hope you have a decent nights sleep. I checked with my physio therapist today and she said it is OK to put a heat pad under your knee, this really helps the pain ease, but ice on top. The heat sure helps me get an hour or so's sleep.

I'll tell you another great way to knod off, ever watch The Darling Buds of May? Starred David Jason, Pam Ferris and Catherine Zeta Jones among others. Made in a village (Pluckley) near where I lived in Ashford, Kent in 1991. Set in the early 1960's. It is the most soparific series ever. We have the whole series in DVD's. I watch it every night, my husband also uses it to soothe him to sleep when needed. He often only hears the title music and he is snoring!! He never complains when I have it on. You may be able to get it at your library?

Good luck with the doc. Sue

Hey Glenda, I was born in Hertfordshire, brought up in Essex, then lived in Kent, Birminghan, Derbyshire(a small village Coton-in-the-Elms, think it is now known as being in Staffordshire), Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, then back to Kent, before we emigrated here. Where in Derbyshire are you?

Keep on bugging those doctors (or their damn obstinate secretaries, as I remember them being ) until they give you the pain meds you need. Hope you have a decent nights sleep. I checked with my physio therapist today and she said it is OK to put a heat pad under your knee, this really helps the pain ease, but ice on top. The heat sure helps me get an hour or so's sleep.

I'll tell you another great way to knod off, ever watch The Darling Buds of May? Starred David Jason, Pam Ferris and Catherine Zeta Jones among others. Made in a village (Pluckley) near where I lived in Ashford, Kent in 1991. Set in the early 1960's. It is the most soparific series ever. We have the whole series in DVD's. I watch it every night, my husband also uses it to soothe him to sleep when needed. He often only hears the title music and he is snoring!! He never complains when I have it on. You may be able to get it at your library?

Good luck with the doc. Sue

Hi Sue

Thanks for replying I live in Shipley it is between a little town called Ilkeston and one called Heanor we are only 20 mins away from the Peak District. Lived here for the last 30 years prior to that 3 years in south Africa. Originally from a small village called Stanton-By-Dale. Got an appointment to see my consultant on Monday so fingers crossed better pain relief also seeing private physio Thursday. Take care Glenda

Shipley! Just south of Harrogate! Not 90 miles from me!

We went to the Peak District a few times, beautiful area. That's where Dovedale is right?

Hey you and J could meet up one day perhaps?

Glenda,Wow, I thought we had it rough.* You do need help, please insist on it one way or another.* Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Glenda, blimey your having a tough time at the moment.I see you,ve been on tramadol, I believe that is one of the stronger pain killers,I was on it once when first diagnosed with RA,Although I found it effective when I came off it a month later I really had to go cold turkey(you know fidgety and uneasy).Difficult for me to give you any advise on pain just in case there is an underlying problem only the experts can sort out,so I do wish you well with your forth coming treatment,
regards klinger

Glenda: Good luck on Monday with your appointment, make sure you tell him you need stronger pain killers, I still can't imagine the pain you must be in on only Paracetamol.

Let us know how you are doing and how you get on Monday. Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts