TKR crunching/grinding in knee after 9 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrina

Country
United States United States
Hello friends,
it has been 9 months now after I had a TKR and over all I am very happy with the outcome. Able to do stairs, going for nice long walks without pain, most important to me of cause is being able to dance again. The clicking noise is driving me up the wall, but according to my surgeon it eventually will go away. Now, for the last couple of weeks, every once in a while, my knee makes this awful grinding/crunching sound when standing up after sitting. It's not painful and I have no swelling either. I have days when I get out of bed and don't even thing about my knee, everything feels super and days when I still feel the tightness around the knee or the ankle. Has any of you experienced this crunching in the knee, any advise would be great. My 8 months checkup went well, surgeon said I am doing really good.

Hi Sabrina! Please click on your name on the top right and go to signature and add your surgery date. Day/Month/Year.
My knee makes some "noise" too, that only I can hear. ha! In other words I feel the clunk,thud etc but it is not actually audible. I have made my doctors and PT put their hand on it and feel it and they all say it's normal because I no longer have a biological (right word?) knee. The main thing is...is there function? is there pain? If the answer is Yes and No you are probably fine but only your doctor knows for sure and he usually also checks the X-ray. My PT said that I still have swelling in my new knee, after 8 months and that it could be causing the "noise". Does yours actually make a noise?

These odd noises and feeling with knee movement can be part of recovery and usually they go away or at least become a lot less noticeable with time.....LOTS of time. As Brownie says, the important thing is you have no pain associated with the noise. It's a factor of having soft tissues moving over the rigid metal parts. Things should settle down for you eventually. I'm glad to hear you've been out dancing on your new knee. Now THAT'S an accomplishment!!!

Hi Sabrina! Please click on your name on the top right and go to signature and add your surgery date. Day/Month/Year.
My knee makes some "noise" too, that only I can hear. ha! In other words I feel the clunk,thud etc but it is not actually audible. I have made my doctors and PT put their hand on it and feel it and they all say it's normal because I no longer have a biological (right word?) knee. The main thing is...is there function? is there pain? If the answer is Yes and No you are probably fine but only your doctor knows for sure and he usually also checks the X-ray. My PT said that I still have swelling in my new knee, after 8 months and that it could be causing the "noise". Does yours actually make a noise?
Hi Brownie,
thanks so much for your reply, what would I do without this forum, so very very helpful. My surgery was September 19, 2012. Thank God I have no pain with the noise, my surgeon said the clicking is normal, but since the grinding noise is new, and I don't have it every day, I had no chance to asked. It is very hard to describe, but I will give it a shot. I can feel it when I stand up and it feels pretty much the way it felt before the surgery. Some people with arthritis in the neck also experience the grinding noise. Guess the whole healing process is a long one and also according to some doctor, your knee is still healing when warm to the touch and the scar is pink/red, instead of flesh colored.
Sabrina

Oh I think I know what you mean with description of that neck noise we can get. I don't believe I have had that in my knee. At this point nothing would surprise me!
Okay you have to do this for me!!!! Put your surgery date into your signature. You click on your name up on the top right and then go into your signature and add the surgery date and what you had.
I have surgery tomorrow but when I am lucid enough I am going to look for you and check and make sure you got your signature all fixed up! haha! :angel:
bottomshollow I think you should find an Avatar for Sabrina that would reflect her crunching grinding knee. Maybe it would be a big Dorito!!!

my knee makes this awful grinding/crunching sound when standing up after sitting. It's not painful and I have no swelling either
Hmm. A bit like crushing the most awful piece of gristle? Yes, I have something similar it's called 'fibrosynovial thickening' and is just a small growth of, yes, gristle on my kneecap. It doesn't stop me doing anything and doesn't hurt, like yours. Only on one knee, too.

Hello everybody,
don't know if I did this right, I clicked on my name, went to signature and in the box below wrote the date of my surgery. Now back to the crunching, there is something I remember now. About 18 years ago, I started line dancing and my right knee made this awful crunching noise, no pain with it though. In 2004, shortly before I retired, I hated taking stairs because of the grinding and crunching. By the way, I am 72 years old, maybe I'm just falling apart. Hey Brownie, good luck on your surgery, I wish you a speedy recovery and please stay in touch with me. Are you having a second knee replacement?
Sabrina

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back