TKR Recovering from TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a CPM consistently for 2 weeks after discharge from the hospital. I do believe it helped me. My rom prior to surgery was limited due to the amount of damage to the knee. It took some mental prep each day to strap into that thing, but I stuck with it. Ended up in the 105 degree setting on the machine.

All that said......it was a good day when the med supply folks came by to take that darn thing away!!!!! My Internal Med Dr warned me of the "torture" machine...... :)

My last PT session my rom was in 101 degree range. Still a ways to go.

Here n the UK CPM not readily available. I think it depends which NHS area you are in.I never used one and had to work hard for flexion because as most people on here my bend was very limited because of arthritis damage. Still working on it now at 22 weeks and have no idea what my ROM is because physio stopped at six weeks post op.

My OS was not wed to the CPM but I used it in the hospital, and insurance covered it for a few weeks at home so I did use it. I did enjoy the position. It is a comfortable elevated position. And I always had the iceman on when I was in it. As a matter of fact before my PT would leave she would set me up in the CPM and the iceman, make sure I had my water and pills, and I would stay in it for two hours twice a day. Sorry the sensation on the back of your knees makes it uncomfortable. Have you tried a soft blanket between you and the CPM?

I used it after both arthoscopes that I had done. The Dr. did not use one after the TKR. (Same Dr.) They had decided that the passive motion did not make a difference in outcome. Personally, I liked the machine and would fall asleep with it on my leg. However, it really is big and bulky and a problem to keep moving it on and off of the bed. I have no idea if it helps or not.....Vickie

I was sent home from surgery with one and was told to use it 6 hours a day in 2 hour increments. Needless to say that was too much. I do try and use it an hour or two a day. Mine is lined with thick fleece so it is very comfortable. I am going to try and use it more as my ROM is not good .... only around 70 right now .... hopefully this week it will get better. I am trying to increase it and I know my PT seems disappointed in my numbers.

My OS does not use them. He said he'd much rather his patients work the knee naturally, and believes that gets more results. I kind of wish I would have been able to try it, though, as my ROM is not great yet. I'm at six weeks today, and it was only about 90 on Friday. Maybe it would have helped me?

I was never offered the CPM when I had the TKR. But they put me on it when I had the MUA. I had it on all night (my choice) and loved it. However, I don't feel that it was beneficial afterwards. On arriving home, the next few days I was a stiff as anything. So okay at the time, but that's all.

I'm at around 120 at best without struggling and pushing to get more and I'm at three months!
What's wrong with that? I had a 'stellar' recovery and still 'only' managed 120 at 12 weeks. But I was more than happy with it and after another 3/4 months I was at 130+. I think you will be too, just you wait and see!
My OS does not use them. He said he'd much rather his patients work the knee naturally, and believes that gets more results.
Exactly what my surgeon said!
Here n the UK CPM not readily available. I think it depends which NHS area you are in
Not in the least. It's solely due to the surgeon's choice. Very few UK knee surgeons favour CPMs except in special circumstances like major trauma and Kathy's case .....
I was never offered the CPM when I had the TKR. But they put me on it when I had the MUA.

I hated being in the thing---it traveled around the room and hurt my back. If I put it on the bed, it fell off. It was so heavy that I had to have help getting it on and off. IN the hospital, i had to climb over the thing to get to the bathroom!! When my doc saw me do that, he told me that if I could climb over it, I did not need it.

He told me he never uses it on patients after they reach 90 degrees. I was 100 degrees in the hospital, so never took one home. Ugh, I hate those things. It is much better to move your own knee.

Glad to hear it Skigirl. OMG, though, didn't you have a cathader? Or however you spell it, lol. I loved having one of those so I didn't have to get up, until the last day when they pulled it out. I probably won't even try to use a CPM for the next knee.

No---I am one of those antsy people who cannot be still!!! I drove the nurses crazy. I got up about an hour after I got back from the OR and walked into the bathroom. the nurse was actually yelling at me that I was supposed to use a walker!!!

Josephine....I'm excited about the new life in front of me. Lately I've been so much more positive even though I'm still swollen and stiff and well, you know the drill. In the last several days I've started to feel better and am not crying all the time since I only take one pain pill now in the late afternoon.

Everyone thanks for responding! A lot more people than I thought dont use the CPM. I really love this forum ladies! You all are awesome!!

Hey everyone!! I have to share an accomplishment!! I'm at my hairstylist and I drove all the way here and am .. Dare I say ... Comfortable sitting here! Of course I'm swollen still and it's stiff but OMG! I'm feeling so much better! Hurray! I just had to share this with others who understand how these little things need to be celebrated! :)

WOW Laura! What a great milestone. It feels like such an accomplishment to do what you used to take for granted. The best part is you did something that makes you beautiful too! A good day!!!

Hi Laura! Congrats on driving over there yourself. It's a huge accomplishment. I'm so happy for you. Life is getting back to normal. Isn't normal wonderful? Vickie

Docs are getting away from CPM, especially post-hospital. As above poster said, they'd rather you were up and about. As for the catheter, I'm surprised they left it in more than a day -- an infection risk. But you dodged the bullet.

I did not use one for either of my TKRs and my flexion and extension were both at 125ish and 0 by 8 weeks or so. Ankle pumps are probably just as good but I have nothing to compare to.

Oh! I had no idea it was an infection risk. Thank goodness otherwise I would've worried about it. It sure was convenient though! I'm glad I called my doctor and asked him to get rid of the CPM. He didn't even bat an eyelash especially when I told him I was already 90 ROM.

Thank you Vickie! Finally I'm feeling more normal when only about 7 days ago I was still so bummed about all of this. How are you feeling??

Today is one month for me. I started outpatient PT on Monday and like the therapist very much. My bend is not good at 85, but I think that it's going to come with time. I did quite a bit of stuff around the house this morning and also my exercises and was pretty happy. This afternoon, I've been stiff and achy. It just still seems to come and go. In my mind I compare it to ocean waves. One wave brings in pain and then it goes back out and there is relief. The problem is that I'm never sure which one is coming next! I'm trying very hard to be patient and also thankful for how far I've come.....I really enjoy hearing about other people's successes that they achieve. It always gives me hope. Just driving and going to the hairdresser is wonderful. I hope that none of us ever take the small everyday things for granted again. Vickie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie