Bilateral TKR I Can't Believe It...I Did It!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone! You are not going to believe this...but I'm headed HOME :yes!: I was going to go to a rehab facility yesterday, but they had to stop all admissions because of an outbreak of Noro virus. UGGH...can't imagine having vomiting & diarrhea with BTKR. So they were going to keep me in the hospital longer. After my two PT sessions today...they couldn't believe how well I am doing. They said I am farther along than most patients at the rehab facility. Because of Bonesmart...I was totally ready for discharge before I even had my surgery. I will have home PT...and I will follow the Bonesmart mantra every step of the way!! :angel: I know I still have a super long road ahead of me...heck, I still have a little pain while walking. And whoa...bending my knees...or flattening my knees...well that's a challenge too! But every day it gets better and better. I can't wait for the time when I am walking and am so glad I had the surgery. I'm happy now because I know that's down the road!! :yahoo: So thank you everyone! Hugs to all of you for helping me to make it over to the other side.

The very best news you could ever imagine! Way to go Pam! You be good when you get home and hope you continue as well with your home pt sessions :) xx

After my two PT sessions today...they couldn't believe how well I am doing. They said I am farther along than most patients at the rehab facility.​
WOW:yay: :happydance: That's just great, now you really are flying along!

Hope you are VERY proud of yourself, you really should be! Home, walking with only a little discomfort, brill! The sitting/bending will come, take it steady.

so glad I had the surgery​
had to :heehee: at that as for a wee while I was worried......! Life's good now!

Off to get yelled at by the PT, if I don't like what they say to me I'll just smile & carry on doing it my way which is working fine.

Take care & keep posting:flwrysmile:

Hugs:friends:
Hxxx

Hello! Well, it was certainly an experience getting home last night. I was in the middle row of seats with my daughter in our van...and I was certainly a back seat driver to my poor husband..." Watch that bump!...slow down...ect." I was able to walk with my walker up our walkway...up three low platform steps...then one step into my house. Getting me home and into the bed in my family room was like 2 PT sessions! It was a bit of a rough evening at first because my pain level had really increased. I learned pretty quickly that two layers of memory foam on a twin bed in my family room did not help matters I realized my bum sank into the memory foam and made my knees lay flatter than what they were used to in the hard hospital bed. So after my pain level getting to a good 8 off came all the memory foam. Too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing! I had ordered a nice elevated wedge that gradually goes up to keep my knees straight and my feet above my heart.

The night wasn't too bad...the usual up and down a few times to use the bathroom. Gently did my exercises today. I really think the PT at the hospital over did it a bit...so going to speak up more with my home PT if I think they are overdoing it. Nice to be home. Even with bumps during the day I still feel a little better everyday here on post op day 5! Sure I have surgical pain...but when I start to walk it's amazing how I have almost no surgery pain and NO bone on bone pain. Still so amazed by that!!!! :ok:

Bravo and congrats to you! Wishing you the best in your journey!
Well done, :cheers:

You are doing great!:yay:
Be careful not to over do it, keep up the ice and elevating!

Congratulations you did it and made it and sounds like you are doing GREAT. Very impressed with all you that so both at the same time!

Thanks for the advice clovergirl59....I am trying not to overdo it. Last night leaving the hospital and getting in the front door was overdoing it but had to get done. Of course that's why my pain level was a solid 9 out of 10 by later in the evening....and I was laying in bed just crying. Today it was tempting to get up and use the bathroom and then walk around the kitchen island 20 times...because that's what I felt like I could do. But no....it was once around the island and back into bed to elevate, rest, ice (love the knee cryo cuffs!), and take my pain meds on time. And guess what...for a brief time my left knee was at a four and my right at a two. Right now they are zero! :happydance: Goodnight!

So glad you're home safe & sound, although getting there sounded quite tough! Lots more posts of 0 pain in both would be brill! Take it VERY easy, don't be fooled into thinking I'm home, back to normal. Lots of:sleep: is great! I took ages to start taking an interest in books, puzzles etc, all I did was doze! Wonderful! Make the most of it. Huge hugs to you brave lady:friends: H xxxx

It's post op day 6. Hard to believe a week ago it was the night before my surgery! My husband washed my hair in the kitchen sink last night. I stood there leaning over the sink and that worked great. In between telling my husband how wonderful it felt, I also had to tell him to hurry it up because I wasn't sure how long my knees would hold out :heehee: (even though they were not hurting...just stiff!). My shower is up 16 stairs...it's going to take a bit more PT to make it up those stairs...but what great motivation to finally reach that shower!! Today a home nurse visited me....and PT will start on Friday here at the house. I've been following all of your advice religiously....and have been doing fantastic. Sure there are little ups and downs everyday...but overall everyday I am better! Today my big milestone is I can get in and out of bed all by myself! I can't hook up the ice machine wraps...but I can slip out of them pretty quickly. And I'm sitting in the recliner right now and can get in and out all by myself. Always have some one watching me...but just so darn happy I don't have to have someone lift or lower my legs for me. Take care everyone!

Hi Pam, I'm a BTKR nine months out. I'm on vacation (and doing things like walking around Disney and on the beach!) but wanted to say hello and tell you you are doing GREAT! For the first week, much better than I did! So happy to hear, keep up the good taking it easy!

Oh hair wash, that feels soooooo good! It won't be long until you manage those 16 stairs and then look out world, I reckon I'll hear you over here!
Each day feeling a bit better & bit more able are great goals, also sounds like OH is being a great carer too!
We've one of the horrid UK weather days, wet & dull so it's not going to get light, ugh very difficult to feel motivated today so maybe I'll just do my exercises & laze about!
Have a great day Pam you are doing a grand job!:egypdance:
H xx

Hi! Wow Janet...9 months out and you are at Disneyworld?!? And walking the beach?!? How wonderful. Still hard to believe this is in my future...but looking very forward to it!!!! Hilary....wish I could send you some of our sunny weather we had today...and warmer high 50's sunny weather forecast for the weekend. I know that our weather heads towards you...but it's a big Pond to cross! :loll:Different kind of day today...and I'm sure everyday will be different. No PT yet...it's supposed to start tomorrow. No ice today....haven't felt like I've needed it. Keeping up with pain meds...but no massive amounts...more the minimal amounts every 4 hours...so doing fine with my pain levels and it's not too bad. But it's been weird all day...my knees stay in one position...like laying mildly elevated in bed for about 20 minutes...then my legs get more and more uncomfortable and I feel like I need to move them. So then I sit up and gently hang my legs over the side of the bed for them to feel a little better. That lasts a few minutes...then need to get up and walk to the bathroom or walk around the kitchen island....then time to lay back down and no pain in my legs while laying there and I'm thinking I can watch a movie in peace. Then 20 minutes or so later my knees start to hurt more and more and I can't get comfortable so I feel like I have to sit up and dangle my legs off the bed again. Then walk a little bit, ect. It's been like this for a good part of the day. Never thought on post op day 7 that I'd want to get up and be walking around...and that I would be able to!! Just wish I could stay still for awhile. Best thing ever today....happen to glance in the pantry in the kitchen (my appetite is very small which I am LOVING!!) and forgot that I had bought a massive box of Rice Krispie treats from Costco. So I was able to get one and eat it...mmmmm....nice! :yay: Hope everyone is doing well!!

Morning! Trust all is good with you and that you're not munching too many Rice Krispie treats!!

Lots of excitement here, youngest daughter (Celia, 29) got engaged last night - at last! She's been with Chris for 6 years now and we've been waiting for ages for this, we did know it was happening as he'd spoken to OH to get 'permission' on Tues so I've been trying to keep lid on excitement!

Older daughter Emily as been married for 6 years and owns a Bridal Dress shop so we are all now VERY excited, OH less so ( well he's practical & thinks of the pennies!) but with Emily & her contacts all our outfits will be much cheaper so more to spend on the 'Do'! Brightened up a really dull weekend I can tell you!

First planning weekend will be in Leeds at Easter, ohhhhh sooooo excited!:happydance: Love a good wedding and the last one was a real cracker!

The knees? Oh yes, coming along fine ta.

Hope all's well with you.

Huge hugs:friends: H xxx

Hello! First of all, Hilary, that is such wonderful news!! Congrats on the upcoming wedding of your daughter!! I can't imagine staying mum for a few days till the big question got asked. I have two daughters (and a son)....so looking forward to those wedding planning days. And how lovely that your other daughter happens to own a Bridal Dress shop! I couldn't help think after I read your message that there is so much you are going to be able to do at this wedding with nice new knees! Even just standing around chatting with folks used to be a real agony for me. We used to be standing and chatting and I would wonder in the back of my mind if their knees were hurting like my knees. So glad that your knees are doing well! It's post op day 9 for me...and even though I get really frustrated because it doesn't seem like I can do very much...I think back to 9 days ago and realize that I have come pretty far! It just takes getting used to a new way of life right now....and all I have to say is thank goodness this is a temporary way of life! Every day I can do a little more...but it's just a tiny bit more. It's funny how my two knees are definitely the boss! I'm learning that later in the evening it's good to just sit and relax...sometimes with a little ice. My knees have just had it by the end of the day. Goodnight!

Hello Bonesmart Friends! It's now been 2 1/2 weeks since having both knees replaced...and I just got back from going out to lunch with my sister and daughter who are both visiting from California. Yes, you read that right...I was out to lunch....with just my walker...no wheelchair. Crazy!! I would have never thought in a million years I would be doing so well so soon. I've been sleeping upstairs in my regular bed with my dear hubby for the last 4 nights. I take a shower every day, and I take my shower in the morning before coming downstairs. I can get everything ready for my shower, take my shower, get dressed...all by myself. I am good though...and make sure I have someone with me when I go up or down the stairs. I can get my own breakfast and/or lunch. I have my helpers here who want to do more for me...but I tell them no...it feels GOOD to be standing and walking! We have a 75 or so foot long driveway...and it's straight and smooth...so I can walk up and down the driveway to or three times...then back in the house. I do that twice a day weather permitting...and it feels wonderful to be outside. PT is going fine. But boy...it's a slow process! As you know...it's the bending of the knees that's tough. I'm at 75 with my right, and 70 with my left...but it seems like it's going to take forever to get back my ROM. You all were right....this is a slow process...and it requires patience. Hope you all are doing well!!! :flwrysmile:

congrats 2.jpg
Great update, Pam. You are doing very well for 2 1/2 weeks post op. So give yourself a pat on the back! And don't worry about that ROM, you just follow the BoneSmart mantra, keep things slow and easy, and it will come. You have lots and lots of time---so find the patience to roll with the slow flow of recovery. Just remember those who try to rush this just end up further behind.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. easter hugs 4.jpg

congrats 2.jpg
Great update, Pam. You are doing very well for 2 1/2 weeks post op. So give yourself a pat on the back! And don't worry about that ROM, you just follow the BoneSmart mantra, keep things slow and easy, and it will come. You have lots and lots of time---so find the patience to roll with the slow flow of recovery. Just remember those who try to rush this just end up further behind.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. easter hugs 4.jpg

Hi Pam, I have just found your thread. You are doing amazingly well. Hope you are resting now after your lunch out.
I am sure it did you the world of good to get out for a while and have a change of scenery.
Take care and be very proud of yourself for your truly amazing progress.
Hugs,
Toothfairy x :happydance: :egypdance: :flwrysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88