How do you get up from the ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHistorian

post-grad
Country
United States United States
This is a request for general information. If you've had a bilateral, how do you get up from the ground? This wasn't covered in PT or OT, but I think its a skill we can all use. I know I'll need it for camping soon.

So, BLTK folks, how do you get to a standing position when you are lying on the ground?

I haven't tied it yet, but I did ask about it, and the recommendation is to not get on the ground. No no, not really! Scootch up onto something low, and from there scootch up to a chair. Not sure how that works camping.

A friend who had BLTK 11 years ago demonstrated her method: start as if you were doing a pushup. From there move one leg forward and push up. I hoped there was an easier method.

Before I would pile my sleeping bag, pad, pillow, clothes, and whatever I had in the tent up and pushed up from a kneeling position. As a result I'd always emerge butt first from a tent.

There is no graceful way to do this! My husband usually acts like a tow truck and up I go!...only 1 TKR

And I was told ..' you don't get on the ground' from my physio

Good question. I didn't have a bilateral...both done 3 months apart...and I still haven't figured out how to get up off the floor without kneeling, which causes sooooo much pain.

I used to work on an ambulance, and the hardest thing to do is to get someone up off the floor/ground from siting.

It helps to use a chair but without kneeling, very very hard to get up. My problem isn't kneeling, it's lacking strength when my knee is bent.

First of all it is good to practice near a sturdy wide stance chair (recliner) on carpet, just in case you need to use the chair to pull up yourself up from the floor. It is also easier to slide to the floor from the recliner.

I found that this works...

Lay on your side toward your strongest leg's hip. (I’m R side dominant so I lay to my R hip)

Bend the bottom (R) leg up and stretch the top leg (L) out sideways straight.

Push up with the bottom (R) arm till you are sitting on the butt cheek of your bottom leg and your arm is straight palm down comfortably close to your bottom or slightly in front of your bottom.

Keeping your waste bent, roll off of your butt forward, putting more and more weight on your hand as you roll forward. Put your feet/toes on the ground as much as possible and push up with your arm and straighten out the bent knee; you will be pushing yourself up sort of sideways to the (L) while bending at the waste.

Continue to roll toward your straight arm and hand till you can push off, get your feet under you and straighten up to a stand with your back.

The push off arm and the two legs sort of make a tripod stance. The only thing I can think of that might remotely describe this "look" is the way football players look when getting ready to line up on the line.

You have to have good bend in your knees but you don't have to kneel to make this happen.

ChrisO

ChrisO I'd love a video of that demonstration, or pictures :ok:

My husband is away right now but I will see if he can get some taken tomorrow. OH this should be good, fat lady alert!:)

Neil , How do you up load pictures or videos? Thanks ChrisO

for pictures just go to the bottom left of the box where it says UPLOAD A FILE and click on that. Then it gives you a choice to insert a THUMBNAIL or FULL IMAGE. This one I chose thumbnail. Can't wait.
2012-07-02 11.20.08.jpg

Videos I'm not sure

A friend who had BLTK 11 years ago demonstrated her method: start as if you were doing a pushup. From there move one leg forward and push up. I hoped there was an easier method.
That's how I do it (I just checked...). Lie face down, move not just one leg but kinda walk forward until my feet are fairly close to my hands, stand up from there.

Very interesing post. My question is everyone, why don't you kneel? Kneeling will not damage your knee. I have found it to feel weird at first, but I have gotten use to feeling. Many of my patient's goals are to kneel on Sunday at church. I have actually walked a patient across the street to a church, went in, and we practiced kneeling. Obviously, there was a great deal of anxiety we had to overcome, but she did it.
You can do this,
David

Great question, I was wondering the same thing and my Physical Therapist said I'd learn before we were done. Now I will be waiting with baited breath to see what method she teaches me.

ChrisO - looking forward to your video.

Also, I am two months out; thought I read somewhere that we should wait a little while before kneeling nicely on a new knee. "Kneeling nicely on a new knee"; try saying that 3 times quickly. :heehee:

OK here I am in all my pink pepto- bismo Hello.JPG On  strong side arm and hip.JPG Weight on arms and front foot.JPG Push off and stand up.jpg And I'm up.JPG Hello.JPG l glory. From looking at myself in the pictures I didn't it well at all in words.

Even though it looks like I'm kneeling Im not. My R knees is not touching the ground, it is sliding underneath me as I push up with my L leg and arms.

Chris O

David,

I am able to kneel but I still find it a little painful on my scar. I immagine it will improve as time passes. However even if I can kneel it is still hard for me to get one foot on the ground and stand using only one leg without somthing to pull up with. My quads are still too weak.

ChrisO

This is a request for general information. If you've had a bilateral, how do you get up from the ground? This wasn't covered in PT or OT, but I think its a skill we can all use. I know I'll need it for camping soon.

So, BLTK folks, how do you get to a standing position when you are lying on the ground?
I do not get down on the ground ;-) so no practical advise! Will love to see what the others say!

Very interesing post. My question is everyone, why don't you kneel? Kneeling will not damage your knee. I have found it to feel weird at first, but I have gotten use to feeling. Many of my patient's goals are to kneel on Sunday at church. I have actually walked a patient across the street to a church, went in, and we practiced kneeling. Obviously, there was a great deal of anxiety we had to overcome, but she did it.
You can do this,
David

Isn't it a bit soon? I'm only five months out. Also, my quads are still weak.

I am three months out from my last surgery. I just kneel on one leg and then push up to a standing position.

Otherwise, I put my hands on the ground and walk them out to get down and do the reverse to get up. I have to be on a mat for pt, so I get up and down from the ground about 10 or 12 times three times a week during pt. I have had both knees done. K

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie