Pre-op Appointment tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygerlylli

I have read about different people's experience with Anesthesia and pain control from BoneSmart. I am still not sure which one I want.

I do really well with general anesthesia and I don't have a groggy effect afterwards. I wake up very easy from past experiences.

I had an epidural back in 1993 for pain control but it hurt like the dickens being adminstered. That episode was my first and last epidural. My pain was not that well controlled.

I have never had a Spinal before but, I don't like to lay still. I prefer to be up and about a.s.a.p. My OS said that I would be up the day of my surgery. I like that I will be up and as long as they can give me pain meds to help mask the pain - I'll be good:thumb:.

I am not sure about the Femoral Block. I know I will have pain but, having a numb leg to try to walk on does not sound good to me. My right leg goes numb by it self sometimes and I have trouble walking on it especially, after sitting for a while.

I will talk with the Anesthesiologist tomorrow with my concerns but, I am leaning toward the general anesthesia. If they can control my pain by other means other than numbing my leg or laying still for hours in the bed would be nice.

My mother already told me the first time I stand on my new knee I would see stars. I know I will have pain but, I am sure there are other ways of controlling my pain other than epidural, spinal or femoral block.

Any words of wisdom or comments are welcome:dancy:.

I had a BTKR, and I didn't have any pain when they got me out of bed for the first time after surgery. I was weak and I didn't really want to get up, but I knew the drill, and I took my first steps on my new knees; I didn't have any pain---they were stiff, but no pain.

I am not sure where you heard that you will have a great deal of pain; my pain control was great after the surgery and the meds that I was given---Oxycontin---kept the pain at a minimum. I would say that the vast majority of the OS's that deal with TKR's work diligently to keep your pain under control.

I had the pain-pump and the spinal, and it worked quite well. I didn't have any trouble receiving the spinal, as they gave me some "happy juice" before hand---that is, Versed.

Since you are talking with the Anesthesiologist tomorrow, I would relay your concerns to him and listen to what he has to say. My best to you and with the TKR procedure!

PS---my father had his two knees done separately and didn't have pain either when they got him up after each surgery.

I never had any pain when I stood on my new knee. Just a bit wobbly from the anaesthetic. I don't suppose it matters much in the end what you have, by a week later it's yesterday's news big time! Be guided by your anaesthetist - he's the one that has to administer it and that's a whole bigger job than being on the receiving end! :wink1:

My mom was the one who told me about her pain but, she had her knee replacements in the early 90's. I am sure things have changed since then for the better. My OS already said he would not let me be in pain:thumb:.

I never had any pain either Tygerlylli! Of course I was sore so it was a different type of pain and the best thing of all was that the bone on bone pain was gone! I had a general, a spinal and a femoral block and they all worked great. I was knocked out for the spinal so I didn't feel a thing. I would do everything the same again if I had to.

I'm sure once you discuss your concerns with the doctor and anesthesiologist, you all will come up with the best plan for you! :thumb:

My pre-op appointment is Tuesday! :yes 4:

What pain is this?? I never had any either.

If you don't want a femoral block, then enjoy the experience, what makes you think the pain you will have will get you up and about quicker? The opposite is true.

Lots of us on here (me included) get the idea that we are special, and try to do without the pain killers. Not many of us thing we were right to try it:wink1:

Tykey - don't get me wrong I am not trying to get out of taking pain meds. Pain meds are our friends in time of need:thumb:. Once I get to my pre-op appt. I'm sure everything will be just fine:yes 4:.

Good luck tomorrow Tygerlylli! Let us know how it goes.

Tykey - don't get me wrong I am not trying to get out of taking pain meds. Pain meds are our friends in time of need:thumb:. Once I get to my pre-op appt. I'm sure everything will be just fine:yes 4:.
I'm delighted to hear it:thumb:

With a femoral block, your leg might be a little bit uncoordinated, but when you get up for the first time on those crutches (after about 24 hours or less), the sheer joy of realising that your new knee feels great makes you forget everything, and you'll want to go for a walk down the corridor (but that's for the day after):dancy:

I think you'll be just fine either way you go. And I do agree that it's unlikely you will be in a lot of pain when you stand on your new knee for the first time. All I felt when I stood for the first time was a HUGE relief to feel the strength and sturdiness of my new knee.

I saw the Anesthesiologist today and we discussed my options. She discussed the Femoral Nerve Block and suggested a Sciatica Nerve Block because, I take a lot of meds and it numbs behind the knee.

I know I want general anesthesia and I might as well have the Femoral an Sciatic Nerve block for less pain. The Anesthesiologist said the blocks will elimanate 80 to 90% of my pain and allow for the pain medicine to catch up so I will not be in much pain. She said she would give me something before she administers the blocks because, the Sciatic block is as she said "a little uncomfortable and administered in the buttocks":cry:. I just told her I didn't want to know anything about the surgery and I don't want to be in any pain:thumb:.

I saw the Anesthesiologist today and we discussed my options. She discussed the Femoral Nerve Block and suggested a Sciatica Nerve Block because, I take a lot of meds and it numbs behind the knee.

I know I want general anesthesia and I might as well have the Femoral an Sciatic Nerve block for less pain. The Anesthesiologist said the blocks will elimanate 80 to 90% of my pain and allow for the pain medicine to catch up so I will not be in much pain. She said she would give me something before she administers the blocks because, the Sciatic block is as she said "a little uncomfortable and administered in the buttocks":cry:. I just told her I didn't want to know anything about the surgery and I don't want to be in any pain:thumb:.

That is a great report--excellent meeting with the anesthesiologist. I am sure that everything will be fine and your pain will be minimal, if any---I didn't feel any pain after the surgery. I am sure that you will not feel any, either.

I had general for both TKRs and then a femoral block for a MUA a couple months later. (I wasn't able to do the block at the time of my TKR) The block was great. Waking up with no pain and knowing ahead what pain meds worked gave me time to get them on board before the block wore off. With the generals I woke up is severe pain and it took quite a while to get it in check. Anything that can improve on suffering thru unnecessary pain is a positive in my book.

I agree with the block, as one surgery i had on my knees for scope they did block it, and i was in no pain afterwards, and when I had my pain killers was able to keep in check.
The second knee the anesthesiologist talked me out of the block, said i would sleep right thru it, which i did, but when i awoke ai was in severe pain, nothing could touch, almost the whole recovery on the right knee went sour. I wish I had had a block on that one, maybe my frame of mind wold have been better??
Good luck I hope you choose whats right for you!:thumb:

Sounds like the anesthesiologist is very sensible. I love when they take time to talk about the real options that are best specifically for you.

I had general anesthesia. They did femor blocks. Only problem I had with the femoral was the first time they used "long acting" drug which didn't wear off for three days. Wish they would have warned me!!! Second time it was better. Blocks do give time to get pain control in place post surgically.

As far a standing on my leg for the first time post surgically....It was a different discomfort---nothing like what I had before surgery.

Hope all goes well for you on your upcoming surgery. Keep us posted on how things went as soon as you are able.

Tygerlylli

Good luck Monday. I will be thinking about you. Stay on top of the meds and don't try to be a hero with the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie