THR NyLiz's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
NYLiz, so glad you are going to get that hip done before it collapses. No sense in having to deal with that pain.

In terms of approaches please don't worry too much about it. Go with what the surgeon chooses. They will use whatever approach they are comfortable with depending on your own situation.

The one issue I only had from it was on my right side, I still suffer from nerve loss in that leg. It started with almost the entire thigh and that's been since April but now it's about a 4" x 2" area that is still numb. It's very annoying, but I have faith it will all be restored in time.

I'll be looking forward to hearing what you decide and when you do it.

Hi Julie - thanks so much for the feedback.

When I asked the surgeon about risks with the Anterior approach, he did say there is a small risk of temporary nerve damage since the femoral nerve is in that area. He also mentioned that if the femur fractured during surgery, which again is a very slight risk, he'd more likely than not have to make another incision to repair it. My OS is very straight forward about benefits and risks.

My other concern is about how long before I'll be able to drive. Based on my LTHR, I'm figuring at least 6 - 8 weeks before I'd have the strength in the right leg to drive with the Lateral Anterior approach. Based on your experience, sounds like I could be cutting that time down by a couple of weeks, which would be a positive, since I'd otherwise have to rely on family to bring me to PT.

I've got a lot to think about, but will let you know what I decide.

Liz

NYLiz, so glad you are going to get that hip done before it collapses. No sense in having to deal with that pain.

In terms of approaches please don't worry too much about it. Go with what the surgeon chooses. They will use whatever approach they are comfortable with depending on your own situation.

Hi Jaycey,

My surgeon is comfortable with both approaches and is leaving it up to me. He feels I'd do fine with either, but my recovery may be a little faster with the Direct Anterior approach. Then again he said I did really well with the Lateral Approach, which usually results in the patient limping longer after surgery, but in my case, I didn't limp. So right now it's a toss up for me.

Liz

To use an old saying, it's six and two threes between the two of them. As you now know, a few months down the line, it really doesn't matter which you have.

Mind you, having the same again makes a nice matching pair! :th_heehee:

Hi Julie - thanks so much for the feedback.

My other concern is about how long before I'll be able to drive. Based on my LTHR, I'm figuring at least 6 - 8 weeks before I'd have the strength in the right leg to drive with the Lateral Anterior approach. Based on your experience, sounds like I could be cutting that time down by a couple of weeks, which would be a positive, since I'd otherwise have to rely on family to bring me to PT.

I've got a lot to think about, but will let you know what I decide.

Liz

Liz,

On my right hip with the Anterior Approach I went for my staples to be removed and I asked about driving and my OS first said, you can drive and then he said, wait it was your right side for driving, "just wait a few more days". I was driving by 2 1/2 weeks going to my own outpatient PT. Just a FYI.

Hope the info helps you.

Decision made - I will have RTHR on Dec 13 via the Lateral Anterior approach (same as the LTHR). While I know there are benefits to the Direct Anterior, I talked it over with my surgeon again and concluded that since I did well with the LTHR and know what to expect, I'll go with the same approach.

So any advice or words of wisdom out there from those who had hip # 2 done within a year of hip #1?
Liz

Great news Liz! Juliep has already given you input on #2 THR. We have lots of members who will chime it I am sure:

@DaveGM:
@The Cappuccino Kid:
@Jollyroger:

You have lots of company!

Hey Liz,

I'm glad you have your decision made. You'll do great once again. Like everyone has always said, don't compare one to another and boy was that the way it was for me. No two are the same, but the end result is.

You have enough time now between the one to the other so that should make a huge difference. Keep us posted and let us know how things are going with you.

:dancy:

Hey Liz, sorry about your right hip giving up now. But good for you to get a replacement soon. As for driving: I had posterior with no weightbearing for 6 weeks, and started right then. I drive standard, and it was no problem at all. Wish you good luck.

Hello Liz

As Jacey pointed out I have recently had my left hip replaced (3.5 weeks ago) following the right one in April.

I feel I am now really begining to see the benefits (although I'm still in the relatively early stages of recovery) and I am sure you will too.

For me, at least, the experience of the second operation, hospital stay and recovery so far, has been very similar to last time if slightly easier/quicker. However, as others have said there is no gaurantee they will be the same.

In my case, I had the same surgeon (different anaesthetist) and the same proceedure (incision on the side of butt cheek!) at the same hospital.

I think overall I've been quite fortunate (so far so good!) as the pain has not been excessive at any time and initially was well controlled. Now after 3+ weeks whilst I do not feel the muscles storng enough yet to go without a crutch, I can feel progress is taking place.

I am pleased I got the second hip done and didn't put it off any longer.

I also think the 6 month period between the two hips was for me about right. I was concerned as to how the right hip would stand up to the additional strain when the left one was done. No problem here at all - in fact I wouldn't know it was a "falsie".

I am looking forward to a better 2012 and I am sure you can as well.

If you have any specific questions about having the two hips done , please don't hesitate to ask.

All the best

Dave

Hey Liz,

I'm glad you have your decision made. You'll do great once again. Like everyone has always said, don't compare one to another and boy was that the way it was for me. No two are the same, but the end result is.

You have enough time now between the one to the other so that should make a huge difference. Keep us posted and let us know how things are going with you.

:dancy:
Hey Julie - I'll try very hard not to compare the two and set expectations based on hip #1. I'm going into this one in overall better shape than the first and hopefully all that physically therapy these past few months pays off (I'll be going to PT up until the day before surgery). I'll be sure to keep you posted :)

Liz

Dave,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience it really helped. Like you I'll have the same surgeon, procedure and hospital, but i actually wouldn't mind a different anesthesiologist. Long story short, let's just say I'd never let him try to start an IV in me ever again.

I'm hoping my recovery goes as well as yours with the 2nd one. I do have a question for you and anyone else who had their other hip done, did you find that you tried to do more sooner with the 2nd hip? If so, do you think it made a difference in your recovery - either good or bad?

Thanks,

Liz

Hi Liz

I'll be watching this thread with interest now as I have No 2 scheduled for 1 February. That will be a 4.5 month gap between.

No 1 has been excellent - hence my rush to get No 2 done. Apart from the first 10 days (which I have erased from my memory now!), it has been pretty easy. I have been very lucky compared to some.

The advice and support I got from this forum in those dark early days, though, certainly helped.

Next time I will know what to expect and hopefully the initial few days will be easier.

Roll on February - No 2 is now slowing return to full mobility.

Good luck for the 13th.

Roger

Hi Everyone,

Well tomorrow is the day for hip # 2. Have to be at the hospital at 6:15am, so dad is picking me up at 5am (I'll make sure Santa leaves him a little extra in his stocking this year for getting up so early to take me).

Yes, I'm nervous, but I know what to expect and I'm hoping the last 4 months of PT pay off and the strength I have built up helps with my recovery. I'm soooo looking forward to getting on with life and doing the things I love pain free :biggrin:

Liz

Hey Liz, just wanted to get a quick send off in to you. You'll do great just like you did last time. I know you will be so happy to have this all behind you soon and start the New Year on a great note!! I will be looking forward to hearing everything afterwards.

That's so nice to have your dad being there for you like this. :friends:

Good wishes Liz

I look forward to you recovery reports.

Dave

Good luck Liz! What a great Christmas gift you are giving yourself. A pair of shiny new hips! See you on the other side!

Best of luck Liz. By now you are being prepped and on your way to a pain free life! Will be waiting to hear how you are doing. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562