Cold Weather Aches

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoyWest

Does this colder weather wreak havoc with everyone else's ROM, or am I the odd girl out? My knee has complained all day long! I feel like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz today...where is my oil can???

It does seem to affect some people, Joy....you're definitely NOT alone. One question that came up years ago when I had my knee done was whether or not the metal parts would get cold when you are out in very, very cold weather. If you're wondering....the answer is no, the metal parts don't chill out.

Thanks Jamie...but you sure can't prove it by me! I had wondered about that. I think will try to find a heating pad and see if I can warm it up a bit!

Give it a try! Just be sure the heat doesn't give you some swelling. Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't. You'll just have to see what works. If you can...moist heat seems to work better on knees.....you might give it a try.

Maybe I should try moist heat before my PT appointment? That is, if the moist heat does not swell my knee.

I'm a hippie but I have to agree - the cold weather does bring on aches and pains.

Please let us know how you got on with the heat.

Well, I haven't located our heating pad yet...must be in my daughters lair...yikes! I will get her to send in a search party later. I finally got warmed up and slept well last night, I may zap a damp towel later to try warm heat!

It's the surgical scars - people who've had surgery but no implants complain of the same thing. Personally I think it's the scars - they don't have much circulation and so are affected by external conditions more than your normal tissues - just like reptiles do!

a3.bp.blogspot.com__skhwOF5ZfKI_TKP4rEOsaSI_AAAAAAAAAZk_AV30Ea0zLVc_s200_070_Marine_Iguana.JPG
:th_heehee:

It's funny you should mention scars Jo. When I am cold, my scar changes color from red to a purplish blue. I guess this is pretty normal.

It is normal, Jerseychick.....I believe it has to do with the freshness of the wound and the lack of blood supply to the scar tissue. Take heart.....it won't do that forever. One day it will just be a faint white line.

Thanks Jamie. It doesn't bother my how it looks, the other scar on my knee from my ACL reconstruction is very wide and you can see every staple mark. It looks like a railroad track. I just thought it was interesting that it changes color when I am cold.

I could tell when the weather was going to change when I had my real knees---now that I have new ones, the cold and the weather changes do not bother me at all...

Tim C.

Yes, I also do not notice the cold at all in my knees. I used to ache before rain sometimes--now, there is nothing to predict the weather!

My scar has been a whitish line since week five--it never changes the color at all. Kelly

My scar is really red and pretty thick. Not the prettiest thing, but hey...it is straight! I hope it will fade some with time, but even if it doesn't, I am just glad to have the knee replaced!

Kelly...week 5 and a white line...nice. You must heal really fast. I'm almost 7 months and mine is still red and pretty thick and raised in spots. It's funny how it changes color to deep purple and bluish color when I am cold. At this rate it will be a few years before it fades...LOL

Kelly...week 5 and a white line...nice. You must heal really fast. I'm almost 7 months and mine is still red and pretty thick and raised in spots. It's funny how it changes color to deep purple and bluish color when I am cold. At this rate it will be a few years before it fades...LOL

Mine is the same way...... some spots are raised and redder than others and in some parts it's actually a tiny bit indented! No white line yet for me, it's always red and sometimes purplish when I'm cold. I can't complain too much though, I have many days where I forget about surgery and the new knee feels like it's just my normal knee and not an implant. For this, I'm very thankful.....

If your knees do get cold, cycling shops sell a really nice knee warmers. They are not at all bulky and will fit nice under your pants. Many of us wear them under out cycling pants in cold weather.

Tim C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads