TKR My Journey

I am sorry you're feeling anxious, but it is understandable. :console2:
Safe travels home! Stay in touch...we're here for you and we do care.
@FourCats

Discharged to home late Monday afternoon after extensive training on self-administration of IV antibiotics. Knee brace in place to keep it as straight as possible until I see OS next Tuesday. Home health nursing services are assisting with PICC line maintenance and general support. I will be homebound for a minimum of four weeks until I see infectious disease MD who will determine if the IV antibiotics need to be continued for at least two more weeks or if I can be transitioned to oral form.

The stay in the hospital was horrible. They were recently purchased by a large conglomerate system and, in my opinion, the care has hit bottom. Some of the practices verged on incompetence and neglect.

So now I sit and fight my anxiety, questioning how I got to the point of battling to keep my leg. For everything to be going so well after my revision to being admitted to the hospital with a staph infection in a 24 hour timeframe just baffles me. One year ago I was taking four prescription medications for four long time issues. Now I’m taking nine! How did my health deteriorate so quickly? I’m feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.

I’m feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.
Not surprised that you feel that way.
It must be awful for you to be stuck at home with the brace and PICC line.
Hopefully some of the feeling awful is from the infection and will improve as the antibiotics kick in and work. I know when I had septicaemia a few months ago I felt pretty awful and very low spirited for the first week or so- but my mood lifted as the infection cleared. Also the antibiotics can be pretty nasty and contribute to feeling rotten.
I am not sure whether it made any difference but I tried probiotic tablets and sauerkraut and Keffir to try to improve my gut flora and immunity. I got thrush anyway and needed an antifungal.

Keep posting on BoneSmart. I found it helped when I was in hospital with my infection to just ventilate and express my worries and fears.

I am sorry you had such an awful experience in the hospital. That certainly doesn't help matters.
It is understandable that you're feeling anxious, afraid and uncertain, but many go through this and it resolves with time. Try to busy your mind to the best of your ability rather than dwell on the situation. I know that's difficult, especially this early on, but a positive attitude will help you get through this. You have us for support, so call on us when you need words of support or encouragement, If you're a person of faith, lean into that for healing and peace of mind. I will remember you in prayer. :prayer: Hugs and best wishes for a good day! :console2:
@FourCats

You will get through this. I know right now you are carrying a heavy weight, but that weight will diminish as time goes on and that infection is kicked to the curb! Your knee will not suffer any long-term effects from your inactivity, and will be better able to heal because of it! So there is good coming from this bad!

How are things going now that you've been home for a couple of days? Hopefully you're falling into a comfortable routine, feeling less anxious and focusing on life beyond this issue. With any luck the next four weeks fly by for you, FourCats. Take good care! We're here for encouragement if you need us.
@FourCats

Happy Two Month Anniversary on your revision. I hope you're feeling okay.
May your day be a good one! :SUNsmile:
@FourCats

Stitches were removed yesterday and the incision looks good. No drainage, redness, swelling, or heat.

Finished first week of IV antibiotics. At least three, possibly five more to go. Home health nurse comes weekly for blood draw and to change dressing on PICC line.

Anxiety continues and RLS has worsened so little to no sleep. Appointment with PCP tomorrow and will talk with her about these concerns.

I found that sleeping in my recliner helped to keep the RLS under control. Have you tried that?

The RLS has been an issue for several years as the medication has stopped working because of augmentation. For the last month, I’ve been in step one of weaning off/adding on one medication to another. The medication schedule in the hospital was so erratic that I got off my regular routine and now my body is trying to readjust.

Continuing the IV antibiotics until June 28. Exhausted all the time as sleep continues to be a struggle.

Both knees are still painful and I am trying to accept that I may have pain for the rest of my life despite everything I have been through. Very discouraging.

Last edited:
I’m sorry you’re in pain, Sue. Your exhaustion is understandable as I’m sure the course of treatment is stressful. Hopefully you will not endure pain indefinitely, but grow stronger as treatment continues and even more so afterward. Try to hold onto that thought, even though it’s not feeling that way currently. The body has an amazing ability for healing. I don’t know how you feel about supplements, but if not opposed, consider Magensium.
Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wishing you peace, comfort and a weekend of restorative rest.
@FourCats

Feeling a bit better and working hard to keep the negative thoughts from consuming my brain. The weather has been hot and humid so I’m only able to get one outside walk in early in the morning. I’ve been able to get an hour or so of sleep late morning and mid afternoon. I’m anticipating after I finish my infusions next week I might be able to rest more. The schedule they’re on does not fit my body’s regular schedule!

When I saw the infectious disease doctor last week I was talking with her about being so exhausted. What she told me made more sense than anything any doctor has ever told me.

She said that our bodies are made to fight foreign things such as infections, or insect bites. She reminded me that my body is not only fighting the infection but is battling with the antibiotics not recognizing them as helpful. Then what she said caused my mouth to drop open. She said my body is still battling to accept my “foreign” knees and that is why joint replacements or organ transplants have such a long recovery time. More than likely, my right knee was just becoming “part” of me when the component loosened and I had the revision which started my body battling all over again.

She said my body is still battling to accept my “foreign” knees and that is why joint replacements or organ transplants have such a long recovery
This does make sense!
As well as what she said about antibiotics and infection.
I was totally washed out by strep A septicaemia a few months ago and the antibiotics were vicious as well. No wonder you are exhausted. Wishing you all the best.

@FourCats, That's all spot on, antibiotics can cause problems eg Fungal infections and more. They offten don't differentiate between our good bacertia eg gut bacteria and the bad ones. Any infection can also knock you six. I was also told that some people's body can take quite a while to accept the new joint. So your poor body is battling on many fronts.
I was exhausted for weeks and I only had a new joint to deal with, you've been through so much. My mam used to say, that if our bodies say to rest it's what they need, and rest is very important for healing also.
I hope you start feeling better soon x

Sometimes morning visitors can make me smile and forget my pain for a minute or so.

DSCN6473.jpeg

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom