THR 6 weeks post THR still in pain

Rich75

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been reading some of the threads on here which I've found really helpful but thought I'd post my own experience on here as I'm in quite a bit of pain still and could do with some advice from people who've been through the same thing.

Had a hip replacement on 25th March (arthritis) - I'm 47 have been really physically active all my life had to stop playing football at 37 after a hip arthroscopy (they found a bone spur on the femur head + torn cartledge) but carried on swimming to stay fit. I've had pain in my right hip since my early 20s but lived with the pain since then. Decided to get it sorted for good a couple of years ago and now I've had the procedure 6 weeks ago.

Really struggled at times physically and mentally as alot of you have on here the first few weeks. Found lack of sleep a real problem that's improved a bit now. That said got through it building up my strength and confidence to eventually get rid of both walking sticks a week ago. Now can walk for 45 mins a couple of times a day with shorter walks. Wound has healed up nicely. Still get quite a bit of pain in my upper thigh and around the joint area. I had got down to virtually no pain meds a week ago but I've had to start having them a bit more sporadically now and still quite a bit of ice packs too. I was warned that the recovery wouldn't be a straight line but I just have that nagging doubt that it won't sort the problem ive lived with for so long. It's probably irrational but it's still a worry when I have a bad day of two.

I've got my follow up on Friday with my consultant. Do they normally scan the joint to check it at that point? What's the normal timescales for it to settle down in terms of pain? Reading peoples stories on here it seems like it could be anything from 1 month to 3 years!

Any help much appreciated
Thank you
Richard

:wave:@Rich75
:welome: to the forum and congrats on getting your new hip!
(though sounds like you are going through "the jury is still out" phase... I did the same!)

Which hip, by the way?

This recovery business is an ebb and flow journey, for sure.
But the feelings you are sharing...Physical and mental ... sound very normal for six months post-op.

All Temporary became my mantra as it gets old quick.:bored:

My OS did follow up Xrays at 2 1/2 months post op, but I've seen this vary.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab.

The key is, “Find what works for you.“
Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

You are recovering from a major surgery (no matter how common or flippant it gets referred to...this isn't a tonsillectomy) and from the years of bad posture and gait preceding it, so soft tissue tightness and aches are definitely going to be the norm for a while.
Slow and steady, with huge amounts of patience will get you there.
I Definitely had my moments after my BTHR when I wondered Is This Normal and Did this Work.?
It was, and it did.... but took some figuring out what was helpful and what was too much too soon.
I hope you stick around as there are lots of good folks here walking the same walk.

You are recovering from a major surgery (no matter how common or flippant it gets referred to...this isn't a tonsillectomy) and from the years of bad posture and gait preceding it, so soft tissue tightness and aches are definitely going to be the norm for a while.
Slow and steady, with huge amounts of patience will get you there.
I Definitely had my moments after my BTHR when I wondered Is This Normal and Did this Work.?
It was, and it did.... but took some figuring out what was helpful and what was too much too soon.
I hope you stick around as there are lots of good folks here walking the same walk.
Thank you for the above information and the reply. Its my right hip. Its hard going mentally because of the very reasons you describe. It's undoing years of compensation due to that weakness whilst still doing high impact sports as well as day to day life. I'm hoping to carefully start swimming again at the end of this week...also what is the normal time to start actual PT (outside of your own post recovery program)? Wanted to see the consultant before taking it further. Started driving short distances a week ago which has been okay but tweaked it getting into the car at one point which really hurt.

Got a standing / sitting desk at home which is a great help for work.

I'll definitely be sticking around. Reading the other threads have really helped me as you've all walked the same path in your own ways but it's shared experience and positive outcomes that are giving me hope especially on the bad days.

Even found a thread on the trouble with putting a sock on my bad side! Glad it's not just me. I've been rotating duties between my wife, son and daughter so no one gets annoyed

@Rich75 Still very early days for you in a process that can take up to one year or longer. If you have been living with hip pain for quite awhile, it will take some time for you to gain strength. No need for any formal PT. Walking is the best exercise for a new hip. Remember, you are not in training, you are healing.

@Rich75 - The sock-aid is a marvellous invention as are elastic shoelaces and slip on shoes. They allowed me to be independent and not always have to be asking for help.
I had pain around my knee and around the incision site. Both muscular it seems and my physio did some pressure release to ease the tension. The thigh one is still there from time to time but the knee one has gone. I was also worried that it could be the implant. I’m not saying that yours is soft tissue complaining but from lots of the posts read, that seems to be the most common. Take care and talk to the doctors if you’re not sure.

Hello @Rich75 and welcome to BoneSmart - the club no one wants to be a member of but once you are, you’re glad to have found such smart, helpful people.

6 weeks is still early days all in all. You will get weird pains for a while most likely. But being able to walk and do other activities is the key. Don’t give up on them (as long as no major issues result). Everyone has a different story to tell, from their original diagnosis, to even years after the surgery. But the vast, vast majority resolve quite well and you never hear from many of those people.

Definitely have a discussion during your consult, but unless the X-ray shows something odd, their most likely response is ”give it time.” Good luck!

As others have said 6 weeks is still VERY early in recovery. For me pain came after activity and usually hours or a day after not during. At 6 weeks as we start to feel better we think we're ready to do anything. That's usually when we gain our membership in the ODIC, that's the other club you join after THR.
Always have to ask because you mention work and swimming. What activities are you doing? Any PT?

@Rich75 Still very early days for you in a process that can take up to one year or longer. If you have been living with hip pain for quite awhile, it will take some time for you to gain strength. No need for any formal PT. Walking is the best exercise for a new hip. Remember, you are not in training, you are healing.

Yes I've been doing plenty of walking building it up gradually. I can't wait to get out when schedule allows and get some steps in. Its music to my ears to hear it can take ages to get to where I'm going because it feels a long way off at the moment!

@Rich75 - The sock-aid is a marvellous invention as are elastic shoelaces and slip on shoes. They allowed me to be independent and not always have to be asking for help.
I had pain around my knee and around the incision site. Both muscular it seems and my physio did some pressure release to ease the tension. The thigh one is still there from time to time but the knee one has gone. I was also worried that it could be the implant. I’m not saying that yours is soft tissue complaining but from lots of the posts read, that seems to be the most common. Take care and talk to the doctors if you’re not sure.
I'll be getting one of the socks aids ordered today. That was one thing that was missed off the pre op information. Thank you

I will have to follow up with when I check in on Friday with him re the implant. Guess it's just everyone's different and their circumstances before the operation so I'll have to bare that in mind.

Than
Hello @Rich75 and welcome to BoneSmart - the club no one wants to be a member of but once you are, you’re glad to have found such smart, helpful people.

6 weeks is still early days all in all. You will get weird pains for a while most likely. But being able to walk and do other activities is the key. Don’t give up on them (as long as no major issues result). Everyone has a different story to tell, from their original diagnosis, to even years after the surgery. But the vast, vast majority resolve quite well and you never hear from many of those people.

Definitely have a discussion during your consult, but unless the X-ray shows something odd, their most likely response is ”give it time.” Good luck!
Thank you! This is such a help for me having these conversations with everyone. I'll definitely be keeping active as much as is sensible whilst recovering

As others have said 6 weeks is still VERY early in recovery. For me pain came after activity and usually hours or a day after not during. At 6 weeks as we start to feel better we think we're ready to do anything. That's usually when we gain our membership in the ODIC, that's the other club you join after THR.
Always have to ask because you mention work and swimming. What activities are you doing? Any PT?
Hey, what's the ODIC?

At the moment I'm just walking. Between 11k -14k steps over 3/4 walks a day. Normally a bit of ice on the joint and rest after a longish walk. Also doing the usual post operation range of strengthening exercises a few times scattered throughout the day.

If I get the okay I'll start swimming with a float to minimise the lower body motion from this weekend. Will just start very gradually on this and see how my body reacts to it.

Rich,
I know it's hard to swallow thinking your recovery may take longer than you expected but the time does fly by.
We are all here for you if you have any questions we can help you with.
My OS took Xray of my hip on every visit to see how the bone was filling in. I also still had a small fracture that was detected at my first post op OS exam/X-Ray and I was put on light weight bearing in hopes of the fracture healing on its own which it eventually did.
All my best.

Rich,
I know it's hard to swallow thinking your recovery may take longer than you expected but the time does fly by.
We are all here for you if you have any questions we can help you with.
My OS took Xray of my hip on every visit to see how the bone was filling in. I also still had a small fracture that was detected at my first post op OS exam/X-Ray and I was put on light weight bearing in hopes of the fracture healing on its own which it eventually did.
All my best.
Honestly I don't mind if it's going to take a long time. I've lived with it for over half my life so it's hard for me to think sometimes that the pain I've had which had become normal to me - usually 6 to 8 - will eventually not be there or be hardly noticeable. Any incremental positive change over the coming months and beyond will be amazing for me. I'll do everything possible including pulling back from activity to get there.

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it

If I get the okay I'll start swimming with a float to minimise the lower body motion from this weekend. Will just start very gradually on this and see how my body reacts to it.
Do go really easy on this as it is super easy to overdo it in the water, then suffer later.

Any incremental positive change over the coming months and beyond will be amazing for me. I'll do everything possible including pulling back from activity to get there.
I love your approach and outlook on all. Admirable!
Enjoy the rest of the week!

I am so glad to see you are planning on being mindful and patient with this recovery.
I found out new shoes were a must for new hips as the old ones likely bear a bad gait pattern.
Shorter walks several times per day versus longer walks were more helpful and I concentrated on proper heel to toe walking.
(Apparently, I had become a "toe walker" after some years of trying to relieve pressure on my lower back due to bad hips)

I am so grateful to have my mobility and life back after THR.

I won't depress you with how long it took before I got a full comfortable night's sleep :oyvey:but I DID have double the trouble with both done at once.
Power naps were my go to for the first months.

Onward and upward hippy pal.:friends:

Good post :) yes stick with it I'm 4 months post op I have been through some dark days thinking why did I have this done as I'm still in pain I like yourself was active before my left hip replacement due to perthes disease taking full control of my joint but happy to say I'm now feeling a lot better mentally and physically I still have hip ache but my mindset has changed completely and knowing 1 day in the next few months it will fade off and give me a wonderful active life so stay positive and stay as active as you can be good times are coming you will get there :)

I'm in quite a bit of pain still and could do with some advice from people who've been through the same thing.
At the moment I'm just walking. Between 11k -14k steps over 3/4 walks a day. Normally a bit of ice on the joint and rest after a longish walk. Also doing the usual post operation range of strengthening exercises a few times scattered throughout the day.
Welcome to the ODIC. Just my opinion but trade the step counter for some ice and put off strengthening healing muscles until they are healed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back