THR Abductor wedge pillow - sleep tips request

Bevelina

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Due for my 1st THR next tuesday...
Can i ask if anyone was recommended, or chose, an abductor pillow for safe sleeping? I’m a sidesleeper by nature but have worries about getting the necessary sleep safely while recovering.
I rarely can sleep on my back, does anyone prop up their back with pillows so as not to be completely flat..?

I’d appreciate your views please B.Smarties

I'm a side sleeper as well. My first THR I stayed on the recliner for 2 weeks as every time I laid flat, I couldn't breathe (All in my silly head). My 2nd THR, I was in bed on the 3rd night, and used a small lumbar pillow. I've also used a regular bed pillow. I didn't buy anything special except for the raised toilet seat, grabber, walker, and a cane.
I wish you the very best, and a very successful outcome. Folks on this forum will help TREMENDOUSLY!!!

I’m normally a side sleeper too but after a couple of nights flat on my back with compressor cuffs in my legs, and a cushion between my calves when I got home, I have discovered that I can sleep on my back quite easily although it didn’t seem like it when I practised beforehand. I sometimes use pillows to sleep semi-upright but mostly I use one to lie flat. If my back feels a bit achy which it does from time to time, I put a pillow under my knees. I also got slightly sore heels at times but again a pillow under my calves to keep my feet off the bed helped. I also have pillows either side of my head to snuggle into. All in all, my solution has been lots of pillows. At four months post op I’m still sleeping on my back. ☺️

I sleep on my back even though I’m normally a side sleeper. I use either a wedge under my feet or a thick memory foam pillow, depending on how high I want my feet. As the PP noted, sleeping on your back can cause back aches, so the higher my feet, the more pressure on my back. I have mild sleep apnea, so I have a BiPAP I use at night since back sleeping can make that worse. I rented an electric hospital bed so I will change the position of the head of the bed ever so slightly if I begin to ache. I also use a thin ice pack under my upper back. I am not sleeping great or anything, but I don’t think I would get any sleep at all if I tried to sleep on my side.

I'm a side sleeper but I did get used to sleeping on my back.
Lots of folks here use body pillow and other types I just used what I had and it worked fine.
But whatever works for you as this is an individual journey and we all recover differently.
All my best for your upcoming surgery and please let us know how it all goes.

I just used a couple of spare pillows to keep me from rolling. I'm a side sleeper and don't like sleeping on my back but it's not something worth worrying about. You will sleep whether it's on your back or sitting in a recliner. It's not that long before you can roll on your non-op side.

Like it or not, you will be a back sleeper for at least the first 7-10 days post. Out of necessity, you'll find a way to get sleep. I'm not a great back sleeper and found good sleep was hard to come by the first week post-op. Most nights were 5-7 hours of sleep, 2 hours at a time. A couple nights, likely due to pure exhaustion, I was able to get 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I would wake to use the bathroom, adjust position, take pain meds. I used the ice machine at night, so getting up also involved disconnecting the ice machine. I didn't have a recliner, so I slept in my bed. I would have a recliner if I could have do-overs. Extra pillows to support as needed or used as wedges to keep me from rolling on my side. I don't think you can sleep too much the first couple weeks, I would strongly encourage naps and sleeping whenever you are able. I was able to sleep on my non-operative side at about 10 days, which is better, but I am still not sleeping as well as pre-surgery.

I'm a side sleeper too, and almost never slept on my back. Since my surgery, I have been sleeping on my back with my legs elevated on a foam pillow (the Lounge Doctor). It's so comfortable that I've had no problems sleeping. And it also helped a lot to reduce the swelling in my operated leg. I finally decided last night that I would try sleeping without it, because my leg is no longer swollen. I still slept on my back very comfortably!

With my anterior THR, I was allowed to sleep on my right side with a pillow between my legs and two pillows under the foot of the left leg that had surgery. But my right arm and shoulder would get sore after a few hours, so I did spend part of the night sleeping on my back, with 2-3 pillows under my legs. But I was most comfortable sleeping on my back in my recliner and I spent at least part of the night there for about the first 8-10 days. It felt like a big deal when I finally stayed in bed all night!

Due for my 1st THR next tuesday...
Can i ask if anyone was recommended, or chose, an abductor pillow for safe sleeping? I’m a sidesleeper by nature but have worries about getting the necessary sleep safely while recovering.
I rarely can sleep on my back, does anyone prop up their back with pillows so as not to be completely flat..?

I’d appreciate your views please B.Smarties
Hi Bevelina, I think you may have had your op by now,? mine is just over a week yet. I've just ordered a giant u shaped pillow from fb. It's kinda a pillow for your head and then 2 long sausages down each side. I thought it may be good to stop me rolling over at forts, and then use 1 if the legs as a wedge if I eve get to sleep on my side again. Hope you are well

I had surgery April 12 and have started side sleeping again the past two days. I found this pillow—purchased for a different reason—works great between my knees! It’s not too thick and it stays put while I am sleeping.

Back Pain Relief Memory Foam Pillow - Half Moon Bolster Knee Pillow for Side, Back, Stomach Sleepers - Semi Roll Round Lumbar Leg Wedge - Reduce Neck Spine Back Hip Ankle Stress - Organic Cotton Cover
Screenshot_20230429-071528.png

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads