TKR What did I get myself into?

@Ayse, of course, my muscles were weak, but they never atrophied. Getting up and walking to the kitchen, bathroom, or things like that are exercise and PT. Using my knees in a natural way worked just fine for me. It is not natural for the knees to do repetitious exercises which tend to inflame them. We use them in different ways all day long. This is natural PT and works great for rehabbing them. PT can be very helpful in making sure we have a correct gait and giving us gentle massages to help reduce the swelling. Aggressive PT just causes increased inflammation, swelling and pain. I'll choose the natural way every time!

@Ayse, of course, my muscles were weak, but they never atrophied. Getting up and walking to the kitchen, bathroom, or things like that are exercise and PT. Using my knees in a natural way worked just fine for me. It is not natural for the knees to do repetitious exercises which tend to inflame them. We use them in different ways all day long. This is natural PT and works great for rehabbing them. PT can be very helpful in making sure we have a correct gait and giving us gentle massages to help reduce the swelling. Aggressive PT just causes increased inflammation, swelling and pain. I'll choose the natural way every time!
Thank you so much.

OMG!! It finally happenend! Now for the first time since my Jan 12 LTKR, I slept ALL night long. Took a Flexeril for my restless leg along with 1000mg of Tylenol. Slept from 11:30 to 7:00 but man was I pretty stiff upon waking. Hoping this is the start of many nights of peaceful sleep.
Still experiencing some sharp pain from time to time mostly on the outside of my knee along with the dull ache. Hoping this is pretty normal.

:yay: Well done on the long sleep! Yes, the stiffness does set in when you are not moving around. But things will balance soon.

Aches and pains at this stage are normal. As your activity increases your knee will complain. All part of the healing process.

There you go! The beginning of many more nights of sleep, hopefully.

That great 7 hour sleep was an anomoly. Still not consistently good sleep. I am experiencing a really weird sensation in my leg. When sitting in my recliner I will often fully extend my leg…pushing out as firmly as possible. My whole leg will gradually spasm, literally from my hip to my foot. It also will do this when lying in bed. Also when just getting out of my recliner. Not sure if the tightness just above my kneecap has any bearing. Pretty sure its nerve related and hoping my OS can explain it on my 3 month visit next week. At my last appt they mentioned a possible sciatica issue where they might want to do a MRI on my lumbar area. I’m off all meds except Tylenol and getting around really well without assistance. My knee does appear to be a little stiffer of late and still a tad swollen and as a result my flex has regressed a bit. Every week seems to present a new challenge. But there is PROGRESS…have a feeling my life journey will take longer than I had expected! I’m beating myself up for not hitting the bike at the gym here in Arizona. Will post the result of my 3 mo checkup with my surgeon!!

At my last appt they mentioned a possible sciatica issue where they might want to do a MRI on my lumbar area.
Unfortunately I have lots of experience with sciatic nerve issues. They can be tricky to diagnose and treat. I hope you get some answers!
My knee does appear to be a little stiffer of late and still a tad swollen and as a result my flex has regressed a bit.
Try icing and elevating to get this swelling under control.

You will continue to see improvement! Some of our members report increase in their ROM two years after their TKR.

As I’ve mentioned earlier I am an impatient individual. So even though I have my 12 week checkup this coming week, I need to ask a question. Two days ago I spent 15 mins on the recumbent bike. Felt pretty good but since then I’m really suffering. Normal dull aches but also rather sharp pains on the anterior side. I also have a rather pronounced bump on the back of my knee and my knee swelled significantly. Would that be ligaments constricting? Have to say this week has been a bit of a setback and I only played pickleball once! I love that picture someone shared showing a long squiggly line representing our recovery period! It certainly isn’t a gradual straight line of improvement.

Sorry things are up and down but good you have a check up shortly to reassure you.
Even at 5 and 1/2 months I get odd aches and some things still irritate my knee- like sitting too long in a theatre with limited leg room...
It really is difficult to separate out the twists and turns of normal recovery from any actual issues. Are the sharper pains triggered by any particular movement?

Two days ago I spent 15 mins on the recumbent bike. Felt pretty good but since then I’m really suffering. Normal dull aches but also rather sharp pains on the anterior side. I also have a rather pronounced bump on the back of my knee and my knee swelled significantly.
This was obviously way too early to attempt this and you have angered your knee big time. It would have been better if you had started off with just a couple of minutes at first and then seen what happened later on. But, what's done is done. Now, is the time for the self-care program, icing, elevating, and resting. As for the bump on the back of your knee, more than likely it's a Baker's Cyst. Baker's Cyst Explained

It’s interesting to read the thread related to your surgery. My revision surgery from an infection happened on January 30, the same day as your surgery. I’m 68 years old and this is my fifth surgery and three years on this knee.

As it happens, my work is in leadership development, and behavior. I also happen to be results oriented. That’s why patience has become my greatest weapon and healing and in life. I did have PT after the surgery, with terminated about a month prior to it scheduled end.

The bone smart approach is the right approach. My biggest focus after implant was achieving 0° extension and 120° flexion. After four weeks or so I was at 0° and 140° flexion. That’s what set you up for long-term recovery. Strengthening exercises help - in moderation.

Men in particular can be pretty stubborn and hardheaded with respect to patience and creating urgency where there is none. Time is your ally. Always.

At 10 weeks, my knee looks beautiful, the infection is gone. I know I’ll have continued stiffness, soreness and swelling for months, but the right mindset and some discipline make all the difference. On May I have my other name replaced. It’s bone on bone and in terrible shape.

My biggest advantage is that I know it’s ahead. I can’t wait for the healing pain because I know where I’m headed. Frequent visits to this website. Will keep your spirits up and encourage you to modify behaviors that may hold you back.

Finally, you can never overestimate the power of an abundance mindset versus a scarcity and negative mindset, in any aspect of life.

Best wishes.

Hang in there

That great 7 hour sleep was an anomoly. Still not consistently good sleep. I am experiencing a really weird sensation in my leg. When sitting in my recliner I will often fully extend my leg…pushing out as firmly as possible. My whole leg will gradually spasm, literally from my hip to my foot. It also will do this when lying in bed. Also when just getting out of my recliner. Not sure if the tightness just above my kneecap has any bearing. Pretty sure its nerve related and hoping my OS can explain it on my 3 month visit next week. At my last appt they mentioned a possible sciatica issue where they might want to do a MRI on my lumbar area. I’m off all meds except Tylenol and getting around really well without assistance. My knee does appear to be a little stiffer of late and still a tad swollen and as a result my flex has regressed a bit. Every week seems to present a new challenge. But there is PROGRESS…have a feeling my life journey will take longer than I had expected! I’m beating myself up for not hitting the bike at the gym here in Arizona. Will post the result of my 3 mo checkup with my surgeon!!
I am 18 weeks post op and recognise many similar traits in my recovery. I sleep well with a pillow for leg support but if I turn over, away from the affected leg, without supporting my lower leg it makes me yelp! I reintroduced driving around 12 weeks ( minimal miles) but had to stop as the repercussions afterwards were unpleasant for quite a few days. I stopped for a couple of weeks and tried to rest up and started again last week. It makes my leg very sore on the lateral side of the knee joint but also brings back my horrible thigh cramps. Today I couldn't walk normally as my knee was swollen. It's a crawling feeling which travels upwards from my knee to buttock but if I catch it early I can often forcibly relax and breathe it away slowly. Any activity makes it all sore afterwards but I am virtually off meds (take Paracetamol regularly and the odd Tramadol when necessary). I have found an effective regime which I try to use instead of painkillers if I'm home. This is ice and elevate 15 min, massage knee and thigh with herbal oil for about 10 mins and then put a heated wheatbag over the knee area and cover with a blanket for at least 15 mins. This works well for me. I am also seriously thinking about changing my car for an Automatic. I think I'm progressing but very slowly so stay optimistic and good luck it'll improve soon.

My knee HATED the recumbent bike. I switched to the upright one and she loved that. On the recumbent I was feeling pain on outer and inner sides of knee. Is that called medial/lateral?

@beachy - does your female knee have a name? Like mine is sometimes Dragon and sometimes Brat.

Yes, her name is Pia (Pain In A$$)
Brat is also the knee name of sistersinhim LOL
Hope your Dragon is downgraded to Brat by now.
Eventually she will be BFF:rotfl:

Two days ago I spent 15 mins on the recumbent bike. Felt pretty good but since then I’m really suffering. Normal dull aches but also rather sharp pains on the anterior side. I also have a rather pronounced bump on the back of my knee and my knee swelled significantly.
This was obviously way too early to attempt this and you have angered your knee big time. It would have been better if you had started off with just a couple of minutes at first and then seen what happened later on. But, what's done is done. Now, is the time for the self-care program, icing, elevating, and resting. As for the bump on the back of your knee, more than likely it's a Baker's Cyst. Baker's Cyst Explained
I would think at 3 months I should be able to spend 15 mins easily pedalling a stationary bike? Will there ever be a time when mild exercise DOES NOT cause swelling or discomfort?

My knee HATED the recumbent bike. I switched to the upright one and she loved that. On the recumbent I was feeling pain on outer and inner sides of knee. Is that called medial/lateral?
Great info! Thank you. Will tey an upright bike and see how I fare.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom